Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
LinekersLugs

NETFLIX RECOMMENDATIONS: stuff to watch

On 01/10/2021 at 23:36, Suzie the Fox said:

Has anybody watched Midnight Mass on Netflix? Looks interesting and different, will give it a try tomorrow. 

I watched it all last week and really enjoyed it

• Like 1

On episode 4 of The Chestnut Man, very good - 8/10 on IMDB

The Chestnut Man is set in the quiet suburb of Copenhagen, where the police make a terrible discovery one blustery October morning. A young woman is found brutally murdered in a playground and one of her hands is missing. Above her hangs a small man made of chestnuts. The ambitious young detective Naia Thulin is assigned to the case, along with her new partner, Mark Hess. They soon discover a mysterious piece of evidence on the chestnut man evidence connecting it to a girl who went missing a year earlier and was presumed dead - the daughter of politician Rosa Hartung.

Edited by rico

1 hour ago, rico said:

On episode 4 of The Chestnut Man, very good - 8/10 on IMDB

The Chestnut Man is set in the quiet suburb of Copenhagen, where the police make a terrible discovery one blustery October morning. A young woman is found brutally murdered in a playground and one of her hands is missing. Above her hangs a small man made of chestnuts. The ambitious young detective Naia Thulin is assigned to the case, along with her new partner, Mark Hess. They soon discover a mysterious piece of evidence on the chestnut man evidence connecting it to a girl who went missing a year earlier and was presumed dead - the daughter of politician Rosa Hartung.

Read that book a while back and it’s one of the best I have read. 

• Like 1

I wandered in from the game yesterday to find the other half watching "He's All That". If I wasn't already miserable from City's performance, I sure was after watching that film. 

The original is an absolute teen classic and I absolutely fell in love with Rachel Leigh Cook when I went on a date to see it at the cinema as an adolescent. :wub:

It didn't need to be remade, and especially not like this. They cast TikTok "influencers" in the lead roles... And it shows. The script is a disgrace. The directing is like something I'd see from a 1st year university student. There's hundreds of blatant product placements. It's one of the most vapid and cynical things I've ever seen, with its horrible characters constantly banging on about how many "followers" they have. Soul-crushingly cringeworthy shit. 

100% recommended to anyone because once you can get your head around how this garbage got made, you'll instantly get hope that you too - one day - can be a Netflix film maker. 

• Haha 1

On 30/09/2021 at 11:12, foxfanazer said:

Need to give this Squid game a go by the sounds of it. Really wanna rematch The Soprano's though 

Binge watching The Sopranos for the first time, almost finished series 4 already. Utterly amazing show, one of the best of all time for sure. Love the cultural references too, Tony watching Dean Martin while eating ice cream has got me looking for somewhere to watch Rio Bravo! 

I highly recommend The Many Saints of Newark in cinemas, the prequel to the TV show, gives an insight into the world and characters Tony grew up around.

Edited by What the Fuchs?
  • Like 1

On 29/09/2021 at 23:11, Steve_Walsh5 said:

Binged Squid Game over the last couple of days. Probably one of the best things I’ve watched, also quite liked it that it was subtitles.

If you liked Squid Game, you should give Alice in Borderland a go. Very similar but slightly more futuristic. 
I personally prefer it to SG.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Phube said:

If you liked Squid Game, you should give Alice in Borderland a go. Very similar but slightly more futuristic. 
I personally prefer it to SG.

Saw this whilst scrolling through Netflix earlier and read what it was about. Thought it was strange 2 concepts so similar came out at literally the same time? 

10 minutes ago, goody2028 said:

Saw this whilst scrolling through Netflix earlier and read what it was about. Thought it was strange 2 concepts so similar came out at literally the same time? 

Alice came out last year, but it always happens.

But I’d definitely give it a go, concept is bit different and the games are really varied.

• Like 1

Maid - very good series that just came out.

I felt so bad, and frustrated for her throughout.

Frustrated because of everything she had to go through, but also frustrated for some of the decisions she made - which are actually in line with people who find themselves in the same situation.

'Explained' is very good.

It's varied and insightful on a whole range of topics with guest narrators.

It's nice to have something to just put on and pick up whenever you feel like it rather than feeling too committed to a series, whilst actually learning some interesting and random things.

Edited by Stuntman_Mike
  • Like 2

On 06/10/2021 at 06:48, Stuntman_Mike said:

Only just got round to it but Derry Girls has to be one of the best and well written shows I've ever watched. Absolutely brilliant

I really enjoyed the first season.  Had some real laugh out loud moments.

For some reason, couldn’t get into the second and gave up after only a few episodes.

2 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

If you want to watch Dave Chappelle's latest show, you might want to get a move on...

Netflix 'urged to pull Dave Chappelle's show'

I dont believe they ever pulled the kiddy movie that had everyone in an uproar, so I doubt they'll pull this.

Chappelle has made the same type of jokes for years, so these people who were "offended" had to be watching for the sole purpose of finding something to complain about.

Simply amazing.  Sure would be great if Netflix would tell them to go get F'd 

Edited by marbles
  • Like 1

On 05/10/2021 at 21:46, goody2028 said:

'Death games' is a bit of a trope in East-Asian media, these 2 just happen to be the latest popular iterations.  See also: The Battle Royale series, Danganronpa, King's Game (anime & live-action versions exist), As The Gods Will, Judge, Death Bell, among I'm sure many others.