Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

1 hour ago, Wymsey said:

It's advised (as an NHS employee) that worn face masks, from first using them, are to be disposed of after four hours and;  put a new one on after that.

Can't imagine the people you see using them in public currently do this measure, and just wear the same one all day..

I suppose that members of public wouldn't be out for four hours though.

2 hours ago, Parafox said:

Thank you. Everyone that is sacrificing so much of normal life to protect others and those that volunteer to help those that need support in these difficult times is doing a huge service to the communities we live in.

You're doing a great job matey. My heart goes out to all the NHS staff. I like to think I've always appreciated you guys, but it's a bit more now.

Just wanted to ask your opinion on something though, given what you've said there, "everyone that is sacrificing so much of normal life". Like yourself, I've worked through this out on the roads, though in nowhere near as important a role, but on the first week of lockdown... virtually had the roads to myself. Now I'm having to wait a couple of minutes to pull out at some junctions.

We live on a busy road and a car would go past every few minutes. I'm in our bedroom now and I can hear constant traffic, much as I might normally. Traffic is almost back to normal, in fact, it's kind of like at a level you get during school holidays.

We're supposed to be only going out for work, essential shopping or exercise. Why are so many people driving about at 10:45 pm?

I really think there's a lot of people not paying attention to lockdown. The way it's been done is, "ok, lockdown people, sort it out among yourselves."

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

You're doing a great job matey. My heart goes out to all the NHS staff. I like to think I've always appreciated you guys, but it's a bit more now.

Just wanted to ask your opinion on something though, given what you've said there, "everyone that is sacrificing so much of normal life". Like yourself, I've worked through this out on the roads, though in nowhere near as important a role, but on the first week of lockdown... virtually had the roads to myself. Now I'm having to wait a couple of minutes to pull out at some junctions.

We live on a busy road and a car would go past every few minutes. I'm in our bedroom now and I can hear constant traffic, much as I might normally. Traffic is almost back to normal, in fact, it's kind of like at a level you get during school holidays.

We're supposed to be only going out for work, essential shopping or exercise. Why are so many people driving about at 10:45 pm?

I really think there's a lot of people not paying attention to lockdown. The way it's been done is, "ok, lockdown people, sort it out among yourselves."

You know what, I've been thinking  about posties and couriers quite a lot recently. You guys handle God knows how many pieces of post every day as well as touching every letterbox. You are as much at risk at least as some frontline healthcare workers. You have my sincere appreciation.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Parafox said:

You know what, I've been thinking  about posties and couriers quite a lot recently. You guys handle God knows how many pieces of post every day as well as touching every letterbox. You are as much at risk at least as some frontline healthcare workers. You have my sincere appreciation.

A dangerous game indeed.

1 hour ago, murphy said:

I suppose that members of public wouldn't be out for four hours though.

Doesn't matter. The facemasks available to the general public are only effective for preventing the wearer from contaminating others or leaving a virus on a surface as a result of expired air such as coughing or sneezing. They become ineffective after about 1 hour of continuous use and should be disposed of and replaced. Industrial dust masks are useless. Their particulate filter properties do not allow for micro-organisms or viruses.

Coronavirus: Testing opens for millions more people in England

The government said there are now 43 regional testing sites across the UK
Coronavirus testing is available for millions more people in England from today after the government loosened rules on who can apply.

Testing expanded last week to all key workers in England and their households.

Now, all care home residents and staff, people over 65 and those who must leave home to work are entitled to a test.

No 10 aims to hit its target of 100,000 tests per day by Thursday, with just over 43,000 taking place as of Monday.

The expansion in eligibility means 25 million people can now book through the government's test-booking website, testing coordinator Prof John Newton told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

Testing capacity has now increased to 73,400 a day, according to Downing Street.

Speaking at the latest coronavirus briefing, Health Secretary Matt Hancock said: "From construction workers to emergency plumbers, from research scientists to those in manufacturing, the expansion of access to testing will protect the most vulnerable and help keep people safe."

It comes as the government prepares to publish for the first time up-to-date figures for all coronavirus deaths, both in hospitals and care homes. Previously, the daily reported figure has been restricted almost entirely to hospital deaths.

Office for National Statistics data showed a third of all coronavirus deaths in England and Wales are now happening in care homes.

Media caption"We'll be rolling out testing of asymptomatic residents and staff in care homes in England" - Matt Hancock
Meanwhile, Downing Street has refused to confirm whether Boris Johnson will appear at Prime Minister's Questions later.

It is set to be his first appearance opposite the new leader of the Labour Party, Sir Keir Starmer.

Mr Johnson and Sir Keir are also due to speak by telephone later, as part of the government's commitment to keep opposition parties informed about its response to the pandemic.

About time but I'll wait until they actually put out the numbers of tests they're doing. I think they need to be regularly hitting the 100k mark before I'm convinced. We should have been doing this ages ago though. Even if they'd have just done it region to region - start in the South East and work up. 

I'm just putting blind hope in antibody testing and evidence that having it once means you are immune to getting it again or passing it on.

Also coupling that with blind faith of having a very mild version of it.

Just been reading about the planned testing and it say this 

Anyone who has symptoms and is over 65 - or has to leave home for work - is eligible. People in their household with symptoms can also get a test.

So, is that only open for anyone in those two categories that have symptoms? Or is it open to people who have to leave home for work whether they're have symptoms or not. And are the tests for anti bodies, or just to confirm you've got it.

11 hours ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

Agree with this.

Narborough Station Level Crossing yesterday at 3.30pm more or less the same as normal times.

Image may contain: car, sky, tree, cloud and outdoor

Image may contain: car and outdoor

Motorway is a constant stream of traffic .

The road near me Desford Rd was like a quiet backwater country road for the first few weeks now it's almost back to normal with a constant stream of traffic ay ll times of the day.

I just can't imagine where they are all going.

30 minutes ago, Nalis said:

I'm just putting blind hope in antibody testing and evidence that having it once means you are immune to getting it again or passing it on.

Also coupling that with blind faith of having a very mild version of it.

I think we can assume this, even if there’s no evidence’ of it. Scientists seems pretty certain that there will be some sort of immunity, but they’re not sure how long for. 

4 minutes ago, Nuge said:

So Germany may have to reintroduce lockdown measures as their cases are rising again. :angry:

The whole point of lockdown was to give healthcare providers and governments chance to ensure they’re prepared for what happens next. Increases in cases are inevitable and we all have to keep our nerve. We cannot stay locked down until a vaccine is ready. It’s why I tend to agree with what the Swedish chap says about how this will all play out. 

Edited by Lionator
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Nuge said:

So Germany may have to reintroduce lockdown measures as their cases are rising again. :angry:

Whenever I see proposed lockdown easing measures moving from stage 1 to stage 2 etc, I always wonder how this would be possible.  Stage 1 would lead to an increase in infection preventing stage 2 from happening surely?

11 minutes ago, Lionator said:

I think we can assume this, even if there’s no evidence’ of it. Scientists seems pretty certain that there will be some sort of immunity, but they’re not sure how long for. 

The whole point of lockdown was to give healthcare providers and governments chance to ensure they’re prepared for what happens next. Increases in cases are inevitable and we all have to keep our nerve. We cannot stay locked down until a vaccine is ready. It’s why I tend to agree with what the Swedish chap says about how this will all play out. 

I can see the basis of that strategy, we just have to hope a second wave doesn’t overwhelm the preparations they’ve put into place. 

38 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Just been reading about the planned testing and it say this 

Anyone who has symptoms and is over 65 - or has to leave home for work - is eligible. People in their household with symptoms can also get a test.

So, is that only open for anyone in those two categories that have symptoms? Or is it open to people who have to leave home for work whether they're have symptoms or not. And are the tests for anti bodies, or just to confirm you've got it.

I think its just to confirm if you have it, not if you've had it and recovered.

13 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Exactly, we've all bought time which is the important thing. We're in a vastly better position now for a second wave than we were 2 months ago.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Agreed - the 2 months or so that we will have been in lockdown should be when we've bolstered capacity, improved PPE provisions. When you ease restrictions you'll obviously get an increase of cases, the idea will be then to see if the NHS can handle the increase.

Assuming that we do develop immunity, each wave should be less dramatic than the last as there will be more people that are immune. Who won't catch it and also won't spread it.

I think everyone is in dire need of hearing some facts and long term goals. As each week passes and more testing is done, you'd hope that the scientific community will be able to confirm a few things which allows governments to make long term plans and share these with the public.

The worst part about this is nobody in power feels they can offer any guarantees on anything at the minute. The uncertainty has definitely started to affect me this week. I've been in a right mood since Sunday for no reason that I can pinpoint.

• Like 1

WTF.

I just had a caller at the door driving a parcels delivery van, rushed downstairs not wanting to keep them waiting, although not expecting anything and it some random guy asking if I want my front drive power washing.

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Suzie the Fox said:

Coronavirus: Testing opens for millions more people in England

The government said there are now 43 regional testing sites across the UK
Coronavirus testing is available for millions more people in England from today after the government loosened rules on who can apply.

Testing expanded last week to all key workers in England and their households.

Now, all care home residents and staff, people over 65 and those who must leave home to work are entitled to a test.

No 10 aims to hit its target of 100,000 tests per day by Thursday, with just over 43,000 taking place as of Monday.

The expansion in eligibility means 25 million people can now book through the government's test-booking website, testing coordinator Prof John Newton told BBC Radio 4's Today programme.

Testing capacity has now increased to 73,400 a day, according to Downing Street.

Speaking at the latest coronavirus briefing, Health Secretary Matt Hancock said: "From construction workers to emergency plumbers, from research scientists to those in manufacturing, the expansion of access to testing will protect the most vulnerable and help keep people safe."

It comes as the government prepares to publish for the first time up-to-date figures for all coronavirus deaths, both in hospitals and care homes. Previously, the daily reported figure has been restricted almost entirely to hospital deaths.

Office for National Statistics data showed a third of all coronavirus deaths in England and Wales are now happening in care homes.

Media caption"We'll be rolling out testing of asymptomatic residents and staff in care homes in England" - Matt Hancock
Meanwhile, Downing Street has refused to confirm whether Boris Johnson will appear at Prime Minister's Questions later.

It is set to be his first appearance opposite the new leader of the Labour Party, Sir Keir Starmer.

Mr Johnson and Sir Keir are also due to speak by telephone later, as part of the government's commitment to keep opposition parties informed about its response to the pandemic.

I imagine we'll say that capacity is about 90-100k tomorrow or Friday, but only around 60k tests will actually take place. There's no way 100k tests will take place either tomorrow or Friday.

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

I imagine we'll say that capacity is about 90-100k tomorrow or Friday, but only around 60k tests will actually take place. There's no way 100k tests will take place either tomorrow or Friday.

It will be interesting to see the numbers thats for sure, even if we don't make the intended 100k... 60k will still be an improvement i guess.