Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

No-one who has previously had it but wasn't at risk or being submitted to hospital was being tested, they were being told to self isolate at home and ring an ambulance if their condition worsened i.e breathing problems. Now we have many more testing kits, essential workers are also starting to be tested on a daily basis, hence the thousands of new cases even during a lockdown.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

No-one who has previously had it but wasn't at risk or being submitted to hospital was being tested, they were being told to self isolate at home and ring an ambulance if their condition worsened i.e breathing problems. Now we have many more testing kits, essential workers are also starting to be tested on a daily basis, hence the thousands of new cases even during a lockdown.

I might have missed something but I haven't seen anything about daily tests for essential workers? My nurse girlfriend got a test at Enderby when she had symptoms a week and a half ago but that's it. Not sure about ICU though I could find out if useful. Or did you mean non NHS essential workers?

Just now, Toddybad said:

I might have missed something but I haven't seen anything about daily tests for essential workers? My nurse girlfriend got a test at Enderby when she had symptoms a week and a half ago but that's it. Not sure about ICU though I could find out if useful. Or did you mean non NHS essential workers?

I bet Sean new the answer before the test.

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Toddybad said:

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/coronavirus-testing-extended-to-all-essential-workers-in-england-who-have-symptoms

Previously it wasn't available to the majority of us key workers.

20 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I see what you mean now, I misunderstood what you'd written. I was thinking every essential worker being tested daily - I haven't heard about that! 

Good news if that's actually happening.

Edited by Toddybad
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

We're testing about 10x the amount of people we were a few weeks ago.

So..!!  10x 50= 500....10 x 500 = 5000....10x 5000= 50000....

Its all relative....For a developed country, whos Top politicians,were chest thumping and promising this & thata few weeks ago....

its the Lack of up front honesty,that I find poor..!! Too much beating about the bush...Is what I see ,trying to look in from the outside,

but still seeing Uk TV News channels...

To add the media has been quite poor,on all fronts.

Trying to make News instead of listening and then ask questions....They are acting like they are the experts.

1 hour ago, Toddybad said:

I see what you mean now, I misunderstood what you'd written. I was thinking every essential worker being tested daily - I haven't heard about that! 

Good news if that's actually happening.

Well the announcement today seems to illustrate their desperation to get the capacity used to avoid more awkward questions ..... 

4 hours ago, filbertway said:

I thought vaccines worked on the basis that your body develops immunity having dealt with the virus once. A vaccine is basically delivering the virus in a manner that allows the host to safely fight it and be ready to fight it would it appear again right?

So if we didn't develop an immunity naturally then there'd be no vaccine?

I think we'd have heard a lot more leaks by now from people working on vaccines if there were signs that somebody doesn't become immune after getting it.

Vallance or whitty said at the weekend that if immunity doesn’t last then a vaccine is v unlikely ........

Something that caught my eye today -  

Germany feel that they are getting close to R=1, only a few days after they relaxed their lockdown a little. That increase cannot be related as too quick - perhaps it reflects the general public taking more liberties in the week leading up to the relaxation (which I believe is one of the reasons for our govt being so very vague about a timeline).  

my previous best guess was that a relaxation (of sorts) of the lockdown was likely after bank holiday weekend - w/c 11th may........ I’m now wondering if it might now be after the late may bank holiday which ties in with half term - so the schools return after half term in tandem with other relaxations which measured together are designed to keep R below 1. 

they could do a few bits for the 11th and then try to get revised data to lead them to a decision for beginning June bigger relaxation - the much larger testing capacity will assist in assessing where we are. 

Edited by st albans fox

I can't get a test unless I am symptomatic. I know of colleagues that have symptoms but have to wait up to 5 days to be tested. That's not very efficient nor is it re-assuring.

I was at work yesterday and today, solo on the response car and due back on Friday. The LRI has been split into 2 streams. When we arrive at the new ED we have to phone a number, describe the patients condition and signs and symptoms. The nurse in charge will then decide whether they go to Covid majors or non-Covid majors which is separate and in the old ED. I was at the LRI new ED and there were a number of crews offloading Covid positive patients but nowhere near what I was seeing 2 weeks ago. Hopefully that's positive.

On Monday I, along with a crew, had to do advanced CPR in full PPE which is 2 pairs of gloves,  fluid repellant overall, a respirator hood with a ventilator providing filtered air. It was a warm day and by the time we'd got the patient sorted we were all dripping sweat. I took my gloves of and left a pool of sweat on the ground. 

I admire those in majors ED, HDU and ITU, like z-lyrex that have to wear this stuff all shift. 

The job was the second hanging I've been to in 2 weeks. That's unusual. Between us we managed to get a pulse, but no breathing. Hopefully he will survive but the level of potential brain damage is going to make a big difference to his outcome.

He will need an ITU bed. That's why the repeated mantra is "stay home, protect the NHS". It's not just Covid patients that need intensive care.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I can't get a test unless I am symptomatic. I know of colleagues that have symptoms but have to wait up to 5 days to be tested. That's not very efficient nor is it re-assuring.

I was at work yesterday and today, solo on the response car and due back on Friday. The LRI has been split into 2 streams. When we arrive at the new ED we have to phone a number, describe the patients condition and signs and symptoms. The nurse in charge will then decide whether they go to Covid majors or non-Covid majors which is separate and in the old ED. I was at the LRI new ED and there were a number of crews offloading Covid positive patients but nowhere near what I was seeing 2 weeks ago. Hopefully that's positive.

On Monday I, along with a crew, had to do advanced CPR in full PPE which is 2 pairs of gloves,  fluid repellant overall, a respirator hood with a ventilator providing filtered air. It was a warm day and by the time we'd got the patient sorted we were all dripping sweat. I took my gloves of and left a pool of sweat on the ground. 

I admire those in majors ED, HDU and ITU, like z-lyrex that have to wear this stuff all shift. 

The job was the second hanging I've been to in 2 weeks. That's unusual. Between us we managed to get a pulse, but no breathing. Hopefully he will survive but the level of potential brain damage is going to make a big difference to his outcome.

He will need an ITU bed. That's why the repeated mantra is "stay home, protect the NHS". It's not just Covid patients that need intensive care.

They definitely said that all key workers (and their families) can now get tested .....maybe that just words. They also said that in care homes, even asymptomatic patients can now get tested?  What does that mean?  Surely that means you have to test everyone ?????? Doesn’t make sense .....

5 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Keep doing your best. Myself and im sure everyone on here is extremely proud of you. I could not deal with that myself. Ive been following the guidlines to help heroes like yourself but i have noticed a lot more people out and about. Keep going mate 💙💙💙

• Thanks 1

Thank you. Everyone that is sacrificing so much of normal life to protect others and those that volunteer to help those that need support in these difficult times is doing a huge service to the communities we live in.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

They definitely said that all key workers (and their families) can now get tested .....maybe that just words. They also said that in care homes, even asymptomatic patients can now get tested?  What does that mean?  Surely that means you have to test everyone ?????? Doesn’t make sense .....

Care home residents and staff, I believe will get tests done whether they are symptomatic or not. Other frontline healthcare workers and their families will get a test if one household member shows symptoms. Otherwise no test.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Thanks for your hard work. Have they done anything to speed up ED arrivals during the crisis as I'm led to believe there was often a multiple hour wait in Leicester?

15 minutes ago, Toddybad said:

Thanks for your hard work. Have they done anything to speed up ED arrivals during the crisis as I'm led to believe there was often a multiple hour wait in Leicester?

There used to be between 30 mins to 2-3 hours on the back of an ambulance until this thing came along, now so many people don't call us and manage their situation at home for fear of "catching the virus". The turn around time for offloading into non-Corona ED is probably 30 mins, if not immediately.

• Thanks 1

It's advised (as an NHS employee) that worn face masks, from first using them, are to be disposed of after four hours and;  put a new one on after that.

Can't imagine the people you see using them in public currently do this measure, and just wear the same one all day..

Edited by Wymsey

Just because I'm catching up...

Little number divided by big number times 100

I've a mate in central Manchester who told me the other day that, from what he's seen, the city centre is fairly quiet but the cops have been having a job dealing with gangs of homeless breaking into shops  

18 minutes ago, fox_up_north said:

Just because I'm catching up...

Little number divided by big number times 100

I've a mate in central Manchester who told me the other day that, from what he's seen, the city centre is fairly quiet but the cops have been having a job dealing with gangs of homeless breaking into shops  

I live in the centre of Manchester. Can pretty much back that up. Very quiet around town. The other day in a shop a homeless woman was mouthing off after being asked to leave when she was caught trying to nab a pack of iced buns!

1 hour ago, Wymsey said:

It's advised (as an NHS employee) that worn face masks, from first using them, are to be disposed of after four hours and;  put a new one on after that.

Can't imagine the people you see using them in public currently do this measure, and just wear the same one all day..

Bit of a difference when you’re handling people, surfaces etc that are contaminated with the virus though