Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

6 hours ago, Desabafar said:

this looks like mistake

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/05/05/uk_coronavirus_app/

UK finds itself almost alone with centralized virus contact-tracing app that probably won't work well, asks for your location, may be illegal

Did say last week they are probably setting themselves up to fail on this and nothing since has convinced me otherwise. Hopefully we're wrong.

This is also a  good read https://www.wired.co.uk/article/nhs-contact-tracing-app-data-privacy

3 hours ago, Nod.E said:

Just find the app thing purely symbolic.

You won't know if you have the virus if you're asymptomatic and not everyone will download the thing anyway.

How can it actually help to isolate the virus?

Answer: it won't.

But the first bit is just an argument against any easing of lockdown measures until you have widespread systematic testing of the entire population and persistent low positives. It's a measure that, alongside a suite of measures including conventional contact tracing and social distancing, that helps keeps the virus in check and manageable. It's not a magic intervention and nobody is pretending it is. Extending Merkel's point, if it helps bring R0 down by even 0.1 then that makes a reasonable difference.

Edited by Kopfkino

10 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

FWIW, I’m beginning to wonder if any changes of note are likely until after the late may BH   

mind you, that’s another three weeks away ...... they surly have to give some bits and bobs before then ?   I was originally of the opinion that next week would see some notable relaxations in certain areas but that seems to be receding fast - the track and trace app isnt ready and the testing isn’t nearly up to scratch yet 

Let's hope not. There's got to be trust that the majority of the public will the right thing. Delaying the ease of restrictions for a month because of a bank holiday would be showing a massive a lack of trust, which for me doesn't bode well for the future.

9 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

FWIW, I’m beginning to wonder if any changes of note are likely until after the late may BH   

mind you, that’s another three weeks away ...... they surly have to give some bits and bobs before then ?   I was originally of the opinion that next week would see some notable relaxations in certain areas but that seems to be receding fast - the track and trace app isnt ready and the testing isn’t nearly up to scratch yet 

Announcement at the end of the week, giving a couple of weeks for businesses to put procedures in place, that timescale would make sense. 

From reading the drips that the press are getting, I would be surprised if I am back in work for several months yet as I can easily work from home.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, filbertway said:

Let's hope not. There's got to be trust that the majority of the public will the right thing. Delaying the ease of restrictions for a month because of a bank holiday would be showing a massive a lack of trust, which for me doesn't bode well for the future.

At this stage,  it is not a matter of trust,   as others have mentioned,   we do not have infrastructure in place to relax the lockdown-  enough testing capacity and the launch of tracing app.    That would be the main cause of any delays.    

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

Necessary for what?  Global government?  Foff.

No, so countries can't disguise the fact there's a rapidly spreading virus tearing through their population with the ability to kill hundreds of thousands of people.

That is unless you're happy with the benevolent honestly of the likes of the Chinese Communist Party.

Edited by Beechey

5 minutes ago, Beechey said:

No, so countries can't disguise the fact there's a rapidly spreading virus tearing through their population with the ability to kill hundreds of thousands of people.

That is unless you're happy with the benevolent honestly of the likes of the Chinese Communist Party.

Unfortunately having such dramatic over reaching bodies will be useless in short order, as countries just ignore them when it really matters. Having such a body capable of hitting said country with a serious monetary impact is the only way such a body could be effective. However getting agreement for such powers and proving non compliance would be a serious struggle.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Beechey said:

I genuinely think the WHO need teeth. It needs the ability to enter a country (by treaty) and inspect potential hotspots with impunity.

Won't ever happen, but I think it's necessary.

I don't think it's enough to just add teeth to an existing institutional structure. More something like the creation of the WTO to supersede GATT. In fact, I'd say the WTO has been a model (ok Trump has done his best to break it) for how international, intergovernmental arrangements can work well and no coincidence it exists outside of the UN.
It still won't happen as you say

This is good, albeit long and obviously idealistic, from Dani Rodrik in terms of rethinking globalisation and not accepting it's present form as fait accompli but the consequence of choices made that don't have to remain.
https://www.prospectmagazine.co.uk/magazine/dani-rodrik-globalisation-trade-coronavirus-who-imf-world-bank

14 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

This is from the German bloke that did the Heinsberg antibody study for which the write up has now been released. Interessant whether you agree or not, are relatively uninformed or not.
https://unherd.com/thepost/german-virologist-finds-covid-fatality-rate-of-0-24-0-36/

Very interesting. His point about locking down too early and not seeing how it spread is a good one, but pretty chilling when you think about it. 

18 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

This is from the German bloke that did the Heinsberg antibody study for which the write up has now been released. Interessant whether you agree or not, are relatively uninformed or not.
https://unherd.com/thepost/german-virologist-finds-covid-fatality-rate-of-0-24-0-36/

This is a decent piece of research by the look of it compared to some of the other antibody studies however saying stuff like "it's less deadly than feared" is dangerous ground. Even if research is age adjusted, it's pretty obvious that the IFR is going to differ quite dramatically in different places for reasons we do not know yet. It doesn't take a genius to work out the fatality rate in a mainly university town is going to be a lot lower than retirement towns in the north of Italy. 

Just now, bovril said:

Karol Sikora probably though Trevor Benjamin was one for the future. 

Well he was, just not our future. The future of 42 other teams.

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I read an article last week (which I can't find again now) that said the lockdown had stopped or slowed the more benign mutations. The virus is mutating all the time the people who catch the severe form either die or are in bed, not going out so they can't pass it on so effectively. If you catch the benign version though you're out and about spreading it. It's simple evolution.

Edited by Webbo

39 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

A good retort to the article Dr Sikora is referring to. 

Also important to remember that the study was from February so the 'mutation' is what we've been dealing with, it's not a new mutation we'll be faced with.

6 minutes ago, Lionator said:

In response to point 2. Why?

Because, i was sat here reading the article from the german virologist and i dawned on me, WTF am i reading this shit for! again for about the 4 millionth time.

I'm sure several people won't agree but there's absolutely nothing wrong with her tone or what she said and Hancock needs to grow up here. If you're gonna deflect then do it with some decorum ffs. Don't be so patronising to someone who was clearly just laying out her own experiences and presenting a well-made point. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

I'm sure several people won't agree but there's absolutely nothing wrong with her tone or what she said and Hancock needs to grow up here. If you're gonna deflect then do it with some decorum ffs. Don't be so patronising to someone who was clearly just laying out her own experiences and presenting a well-made point. 

I was expecting something a lot worse there before watching. Nothing in that at all in my opinion, other than a bit of passion in the question she was asking .