Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Guest MattP
5 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Bigger population and more tourists than who ffs. Italy France and Germany have more tourists and only Italy have a marginally lower population. Which should be offset by this fictionally all Important “ageing population” I heard so much about when the initial response was being defended. Funny how no one is bringing that up now. Germany is larger France is around the same.

Just give it up, we’ve got the second highest death toll in the world and they’ve admitted they’ve made mistakes themselves. You are  just showing how far your are willing to stretch your political bias.

Italy most probably has a higher death toll than us still - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-05/italy-coronavirus-death-toll-much-higher-than-reported-istat/12214396

I doubt we have the second highest in the World even if we've exceeded Italy though unless people are naive enough to believe the Chinese numbers.

7 hours ago, Kopfkino said:

Every time I see Priti Patel my mind quickly casts to the fact that some posters on here have her as some sort of sex icon. And every time I become increasingly desperate to stay 24 for the rest of my life so I don't have to experience these strange thoughts

A bit off off topic but I was watching an episode from season 1 of the Inbetweeners and Will's mum was on it. Naturally thought the same thing now as I did in 2008 when it first aired, i.e, 'she is such a milf'.

That was until I checked IMDB to see what else she's been in and spotted that the actress that plays her was roughly the same age in 2008 as I am now. A sobering thought...

Just now, Nalis said:

A bit off off topic but I was watching an episode from season 1 of the Inbetweeners and Will's mum was on it. Naturally thought the same thing now as I did in 2008 when it first aired, i.e, 'she is such a milf'.

That was until I checked IMDB to see what else she's been in and spotted that the actress that plays her was roughly the same age in 2008 as I am now. A sobering thought...

Don’t worry I bet you are a milf too.

3 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Don’t worry I bet you are a milf too.

Thanks for the kind words but no-one thinks I'm a 'Man I'd like to fvck', not even the missus.

Edited by Nalis
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

There has been the thought doing the rounds for a couple of weeks that protecting the NHS, the government's primary target, has probably cost lives. We don't have the counterfactual or probably much idea of the counterfactual, maybe this is the lesser of two evils, but this looks pretty bad and sums up the attitude toward social care since 2010 

2 hours ago, MattP said:

Italy most probably has a higher death toll than us still - https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-05-05/italy-coronavirus-death-toll-much-higher-than-reported-istat/12214396

I doubt we have the second highest in the World even if we've exceeded Italy though unless people are naive enough to believe the Chinese numbers.

International comparisons at this stage are nigh on impossible and of very little value unless you're more interested in point scoring. The piece below explains as such, as did the Head of the ONS the other day. 

https://amp.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/30/coronavirus-deaths-how-does-britain-compare-with-other-countries?__twitter_impression=true

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lionator said:

So the telegraph has been sitting on the Ferguson story since April 8th. I wonder why they chose to release it yesterday? Did anything happen yesterday which was worth covering up? 

Why would they sit on it and risk somebody else beating them to the punch? 

Its not like there's been a shortage of bad news days since April 8th where it could have been deployed to cover up bad news. And it's not as if the death stats just slink out of view after a couple of days of 'look over there' journalism. 

Edited by Kopfkino

8 hours ago, Manwell Pablo said:

Bigger population and more tourists than who ffs. Italy France and Germany have more tourists and only Italy have a marginally lower population. Which should be offset by this fictionally all Important “ageing population” I heard so much about when the initial response was being defended. Funny how no one is bringing that up now. Germany is larger France is around the same.

Just give it up, we’ve got the second highest death toll in the world and they’ve admitted they’ve made mistakes themselves. You are  just showing how far your are willing to stretch your political bias.

My point is that comparing us to other nations and using it to criticise the Government response is pretty poor basis.  Our countries are different.  No doubt we have made mistakes, but they had to start with where they were.  I read yesterday over 20 Million arrivals into UK airports Jan to March.  I can tell you now that didn't happen in Italy.  We have denser cities. and more of them.  Who knows which factors are critical?  Probably a mostly private care sector and the lack of big pharma production capacity doesn't help us, nor the reliance on Chinese production of PPE.  It's just the idea that people in the government, civil service and NHS are not doing their best which gets me.  Bad Tories willing to let the old die!  What the old who vote Tory in much higher numbers than the young?  FFS it's ridiculous.  We locked down too late!! People are getting fed up with it and doing what they like more every day.  Remember the studies that said it would get harder after 4 weeks - looks about right.  

I think there is a growing case that says most of the whole world has overreacted to this, but if you are a politician, letting people die is a very bad look.

Edited by Jon the Hat

48 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

There has been the thought doing the rounds for a couple of weeks that protecting the NHS, the government's primary target, has probably cost lives. We don't have the counterfactual or probably much idea of the counterfactual, maybe this is the lesser of two evils, but this looks pretty bad and sums up the attitude toward social care since 2010 

At least they weren't just abandoned as what happened in spain.

Would imagine every European countries will think they could have operated in a better way in hindsight. The key thing is to judge the response with a critical eye, a cold logic once it is safe to do so and certainly not with a passionate rage as much of the media would have us do.

If it is found with calm logical review that the Government dropped the ball, that the Government had the information, tools and skills to respond in a better manner, a manner that could have saved thousands of lives, then take them to task by all means.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Would imagine every European countries will think they could have operated in a better way in hindsight. The key thing is to judge the response with a critical eye, a cold logic once it is safe to do so and certainly not with a passionate rage as much of the media would have us do.

If it is found with calm logical review that the Government dropped the ball, that the Government had the information, tools and skills to respond in a better manner, a manner that could have saved thousands of lives, then take them to task by all means.

I spsuect when the dust settles, the ciritcal eye will be more focussed on the state of the economy for the next few years.  That will be what keeps Boris in the job or not.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

At least they weren't just abandoned as what happened in spain.

I read some tweets the other day that some elderly residents stopped eating and looking after themselvses when told they wouldn't see loved ones for months.  :(

• Sad 1

A pub landlord that has breached coronavirus lockdown regulations eight times since the end of March has been served a prohibition notice by council officials.

Officers from North West Leicestershire District Council have taken action after repeated offences at The Boot Inn in Gladstone Street, Ibstock.

Pubs are currently under orders to close in an effort to stem the spread of Covid-19.

The landlord was also issued with a fine by officers from Leicestershire Police after three drinkers were found hiding in the cellar on one visit. The customers were also punished with individual fines.

Members of the public tipped off the council and intelligence collected by police officers showed regular activity at the premises in recent weeks.

Police officers made numerous visits to the property issuing warnings on several occasions after finding evidence of regulation breaches.

As a result, the council served the prohibition order under Regulation 8 (2) of Coronavirus regulations introduced by Government in response to the pandemic.

It thought to be the first time an order of this type has been used in Leicestershire.

A breach of the prohibition order would be a criminal offence and the council could choose to issue further fixed penalty fines and consider prosecution and/or review the pub’s licence.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicestershire-pub-boot-inn-caught-4108810

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, MattP said:

If you think that's bad just wait until you get to the age where you look at Andrea Leadsom and think "yeah probably would".

I have no basis for comparison but I'd be surprised if there was a bigger process of thought change in life between 25 and 35. You confront your own mortality, you realise going out can still be great but staying in is even better and you find the most peculiar women attractive.

Thank goodness you don't have that attitude, otherwise you wouldn't have dated White Dee or be engaged to Dianne Abbot.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, davieG said:

A pub landlord that has breached coronavirus lockdown regulations eight times since the end of March has been served a prohibition notice by council officials.

Officers from North West Leicestershire District Council have taken action after repeated offences at The Boot Inn in Gladstone Street, Ibstock.

Pubs are currently under orders to close in an effort to stem the spread of Covid-19.

The landlord was also issued with a fine by officers from Leicestershire Police after three drinkers were found hiding in the cellar on one visit. The customers were also punished with individual fines.

Members of the public tipped off the council and intelligence collected by police officers showed regular activity at the premises in recent weeks.

Police officers made numerous visits to the property issuing warnings on several occasions after finding evidence of regulation breaches.

As a result, the council served the prohibition order under Regulation 8 (2) of Coronavirus regulations introduced by Government in response to the pandemic.

It thought to be the first time an order of this type has been used in Leicestershire.

A breach of the prohibition order would be a criminal offence and the council could choose to issue further fixed penalty fines and consider prosecution and/or review the pub’s licence.

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/leicestershire-pub-boot-inn-caught-4108810

Disgraceful behaviour!

.....whats the address of this establishment so I can be outraged there in person?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, davieG said:

Absolutely wrong by the pub and the pissheads in the current circumstances.

But it did put a smile on my face. Reminded me of one of my Irish uncles making the local paper after he and a few others were found hiding in the kitchen behind a bar, during an after-hours lock-in.

Knowing him, it was probably his passionate singing that attracted the Irish plod..... 

• Haha 2

53 minutes ago, davieG said:

Why? Why not shut them down and take their license away on the first occasion. 

It’s no wonder people don’t seem to give a **** about the lockdown when the approach is so half arsed.

• Like 4

Caught a quote earlier on BBC News whilst it was on in the other room: “We shouldn’t be looking to compare ourselves to the worst hit countries, but the countries who have coped the best”. That rings true in my opinion.

Ultimately, the deaths are measured in different ways, ours are probably not far off if not a tad lower than reality, places like Italy and Spain might be 10k higher, Belgium have ballooned their figure by counting everyone to Bubbles the Cat in their figures. 

Then there’s external factors, the Italians were caught off guard as the first country hit, Spain weren’t far behind and we had a few weeks to prepare in lieu with that, Italians live with their old whilst we tend to concentrate ours (either could be worse depending on context), different cultural practices which mean more/less social contact compared to other countries, etc. etc.

I think what we need to focus on is our own tactics instead of comparing death rates. Is delaying lockdown necessarily a bad tactic? I don’t think so and a few scientists have came out to say as much. But the lack of screening at airports, failure to track and probably most blantantly, the fact massive events such as Cheltenham and Atletico vs Liverpool took place shows, in my view at least, that we clearly weren’t taking this anywhere near as seriously as we should have been doing. I think the 5 consecutive COBRA meetings the PM didn’t partake in back that, and whilst I understand it’s not necessary for him to attend each and every one, the situation was getting perilous enough in Italy by mid-February I would have expected him in at least a couple of those by the end of the month. 

To recap, I don’t think it’s fair to compare death stats before there’s a full picture, and I don’t think the government policy on paper was that far off, but my main criticism is that I think a level of ‘arrogance’, for want of a better word, on behalf of the government has made latter efforts a lot harder for ourselves and likely made the situation worse than it could have been. As for conduct now, I’m sure we’ll get a good idea of that in a couple month’s time when it’s reviewed and investigated. 

• Like 4

Talking to my sister in law today. Her husband pissed off a year ago. She had some trouble with her taps so her dad went round to look at them. Her neighbour, a bloke I know and thought was alright, is straight on Facebook to s lag her off for having visitors. A load of nasty comments from people following him by people who don't even know her.

This lockdown is turning people into cvnts.

Edited by Webbo
  • Like 3
  • Sad 1

7 minutes ago, bovril said:

Maybe it's as bad in other countries but I think we've become a really spiteful society. So many abusive people about. 

17 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Talking to my sister in law today. Her husband pissed off a year ago. She had some trouble with her taps so her dad went round to look at them. Her neighbour, a bloke I know and thought was alright, is straight on Facebook to s lag her off for having visitors. A load of nasty comments from people following him by people who don't even know her.

This lockdown is turning people into cvnts.

Its like the prisoner & warden style experiments, take something away from us or give us power & we all become cu...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ross-Kemp said:

Why? Why not shut them down and take their license away on the first occasion. 

It’s no wonder people don’t seem to give a **** about the lockdown when the approach is so half arsed.

Probably because half the coppers drink there.