Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

5 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

In your opinion, would it have helped to have had better plans in place? NOT trying to attack the government, before our Tory friends here dive in like mother hens, more concerned with how it might be possible to do things better in the future.

I’m thinking of a register of suppliers of equipment likely to be in short supply, a list of firms that would be able and willing to switch their production to such items, agreed standards and specifications, perhaps a stockpile where required of raw materials, and probably a host of other things that I could even guess at.

I’ve said it before and it bears repeating - I haven’t heard govt use it as an excuse but it will come out in an enquiry .....there is an assumption that if you throw enough money at a logistical problem then it is no longer a problem.  I’m sure that there would have been questions about PPE in the event of a pandemic but they were preparing for a flu pandemic. the assumption would be that if we need to get masses of PPE in the event that we don’t have enough, we can just get it made in China or another sub continent area and fly it over.  An enquiry will hopefully reveal the planning and risk assessments in place but my musings have always come back to the fact that China makes the vast majority the worlds PPE and whoever did the risk assessment should have realised the impact a pandemic beginning in that country could have on their manufacturing base ......  but I wonder if 2+2 was actually put  together together with the realisation that in a pandemic, the whole world is after the same PPE ......

face shields are much easier to make over here but was there a realisation of the potential trial need for vast qtys ?? All other items such as protective gowns and masks rely on specific raw materials which we simply don’t manufacture in any significant qtys.  turning a tap like that on is a v difficult job - no european country afaik has managed to do that on medical quality masks or gowns (outside turkey which has a big textile sector).  we are actually fortunate that China came out of their situation in advance of the rest of the world - other wise there really wouldn’t be any proper PPE for the frontline ..... had this all happened globally together, with China,  it would truly be disastrous for the medical profession around the world.  The lack of PPE availability in March reflects the fact that China was shut from mid jan to end feb. there was a lack of raw materials there as they used it all for their own needs. . It’s eased now because they’ve managed to bring capacity on stream since early March. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Genuine question, when there's a world wide shortage of PPE and some countries are absolutely desperate to get their hands on anything and everything, do you think it would have been right for us to try and take supplies away from those countries when we weren't as badly effected at the time?

Yes I do. But I take your point it's a grim situation with no easy choices. 

ultimately the government are voted in by the British people and their duty first and foremost should be to them and when dead British nurses, doctors and key workers start turning up that weren't adequately protected they should be held accountable for that.

9 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

If masks are required for certain situations will we be expected to make our own or improvise given the shortage and limited life of commercially available items ? 

There is a shortage of the high end masks, but there are plenty of 3 ply masks available, which I’m sure will be better than making your own. 

• Like 2

Coronavirus: France's first known case 'was in December'

A doctor suggests the virus arrived in France almost a month earlier than previously thought
A patient diagnosed with pneumonia near Paris on 27 December actually had the coronavirus, his doctor has said.

This means the virus may have arrived in Europe almost a month earlier than previously thought.

Dr Yves Cohen told French media a swab taken at the time was recently tested, and came back positive for Covid-19.

The patient, who has since fully recovered, said he had no idea where he caught the virus as he had not been to any infected areas.

Knowing who was the first case is key to understanding how the virus spread.

• Like 1

Russia had 3 whistle-blower doctors saying they were lacking PPE to deal with rise in Covid-19 cases. 

2 of them died after falling out of a window. 

Third one is still alive but also fell out of a window. 

Nothing suspicious going on here. Nope. Absolutely nothing. Move along. 

• Sad 1

No Boundaries for this virus it seems

Mink have contracted coronavirus, adding to the list of animals known to be at risk of catching the virus.

Mink at two fur farms in The Netherlands tested positive for Covid-19 a week ago.

And last month, it was revealed that lions and tigers at a New York zoo had caught the disease from their keepers.

Coronavirus could be "catastrophic" for endangered wildlife and we must act now to protect them, said Dr Peta Hitchens of the University of Melbourne.

This includes thorough regulation of wildlife trade and trafficking, as well as protection of ecosystems where human encroachment and destruction "has resulted in increased interactions between us and wild animals".

I've just read the news story of the security guard in the US being murdered for not letting a girl into a shop because she didn't have a mask on - in line with that state of Michigan's PPE law.

It makes me thankful that we live in a somewhat civilised society. 

Haha very interesting on the app. Will be interesting to see if the developers did manage to counter act that problem you see in the aussie example. A minute percentage of people will have that app on in the foreground. That's mental that it passed testing! haha

The privacy doesn't really bother me, they store no personal info. I feel like the article should definitely have investigated the functionality aspect a lot more.

1 hour ago, fox_up_north said:

I've just read the news story of the security guard in the US being murdered for not letting a girl into a shop because she didn't have a mask on - in line with that state of Michigan's PPE law.

It makes me thankful that we live in a somewhat civilised society. 

Yes read that earlier too. Very sad. Family got 'revenge' on a guy that was just doing his job :(

1 hour ago, Desabafar said:

this looks like mistake

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2020/05/05/uk_coronavirus_app/

UK finds itself almost alone with centralized virus contact-tracing app that probably won't work well, asks for your location, may be illegal

Why do we keep having to shoot ourselves in the foot. The rest of the world will be using vhs and everything will communicate all round the world, we'll use betamax and it'll only work in this country, cos no-one else is using it, so you'll either have to use both or not go on holiday for 20 years.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Markyblue said:

Can't remember much criticism of the nightingale hospitals when they were being built,  apart from not quick enough etc , now all of a sudden they were useless,  political point scoring reigns hoorah.

I Don t Think there was any political Point scoring....

The question would be in accountability,and "maybe" delibrately producing a white-elephant,that I believe many were thinking,

At the Time If they havent got them Now..where were the 2 Major Ressources Coming from...

1) Medical staff,across the board..& trained

2) logistical sources

3) Equipment

we cant surely be that naive,that we put our blind faith,into the statements that were being shot off..!!

Again..surely  we havent forgot before the Epidemic out break, we knew already  there were shorfalls in the NHS, Care Homes etc,foodbanks..

It ,like Now depended heavily on charities and the caring that many individuals brought into the support...

Not only the UK,but for the so called civilised society in Western Europe, have been Simply poor....

Guest MattP
2 hours ago, StanSP said:

Russia had 3 whistle-blower doctors saying they were lacking PPE to deal with rise in Covid-19 cases. 

2 of them died after falling out of a window. 

Third one is still alive but also fell out of a window. 

Nothing suspicious going on here. Nope. Absolutely nothing. Move along. 

Russia has 150,000 cases yet we are supposed to believe it's only had 1,000 odd deaths lol

7 minutes ago, MattP said:

Russia has 150,000 cases yet we are supposed to believe it's only had 1,000 odd deaths lol

Mad, isn't it? A country that barely spends $400 per capita on health care.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-52542693

What do you think about plans like this?

I'm going mad staying inside all the time, but I'm worried Britain wants to open up a bit too early, even with social distancing measures in place. Whilst I think inside a cinema that people could be controlled, I think queues outside could be a problem, especially in the heat of summer. 

14 minutes ago, MattP said:

3 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Vodka. 

36 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Why do we keep having to shoot ourselves in the foot. The rest of the world will be using vhs and everything will communicate all round the world, we'll use betamax and it'll only work in this country, cos no-one else is using it, so you'll either have to use both or not go on holiday for 20 years.

So that classic Dom & co can mine your personal data to ensure that you receive their targeted propaganda all in the name of a 'big data' society. 

16 minutes ago, MattP said:

6 minutes ago, Beechey said:

Insane.

Again, you have to think how an organisation like the WHO can do it's job when various big nation states present them with obviously erroneous data.

• Like 1