Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

23 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

So can I ask a question, as someone who has absolutely no idea, is there really no point intubating someone in their 90's? Are they never going to be extubated? 

I can only answer this from my job's point of view. For us it really depends on medical history and the fitness and health of the 90 yr old and their presentation at the time we arrive. Tubing an airway is an invasive process with the real risk of introducing infection. In the paramedic and in-hospital emergency scenario, it is done in conjunction with CPR which obviously involves chest compressions. This in itself will almost certainly result in breaking the patients ribs and/or the sternum. We have to consider the realistic outcome of resuscitation in someone of that age. It's not just about tubing.

Intubation is an airway protector as it seals the airway from regurgitated stomach contents and blood from the process of intubation. If someone is in need of intubation when they have got a pulse and cardiac output either before or after CPR (pulse present but no breathing), then yes, intubation will secure the airway and will be done in the community if  any other airway protection is not sufficient. There are 4 levels of airway management, intubation is the last measure we would use in the field if all else failed.

For us as paramedics in emergency situations, 90 yr olds would be intubated if the potential outcome was likely to be positive, again dependent on medical history and presenting condition. Decisions in hospital might be different.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I'm really hoping from Monday we'll be able to meet close family in a socially distant way, I just don't see how letting my mum in to the back garden staying 2 metres away is going to harm anyone and would give so many people a massive lift and help them to stick to the rules. 

Agreed mate, I think this will be fine.

8 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

I'm really hoping from Monday we'll be able to meet close family in a socially distant way, I just don't see how letting my mum in to the back garden staying 2 metres away is going to harm anyone and would give so many people a massive lift and help them to stick to the rules. 

It sounds like it - there are discussions in the media about a social bubble type approach. I wonder how it would work out... My husbands family live miles away so we wouldn't be part of their bubble, and I don't have any family on my side now. We have lots of friends locally, but it's quite big groups including families with multiple kids, so I just don't know how it would work out. There's huge potential for people who don't have close friends/family nearby to feel even more isolated if they don't have the opportunity to be included within a bubble. 

Considering that the UK has now the second highest death toll in the world despite Italy being 3 weeks ahead of us in the outbreak, imo we should think very hard about the wisdom of relaxing the lock-down as soon as next Monday. Today, another 649 people died, another awful figure. Because we've now got used to the threat of catching the virus, that shouldn't be a reason to drop our guard.

• Like 3

Just now, Costock_Fox said:

Can’t he drive over and look through the pateo doors mate?

Seen him through a window, but not seen him properly, it's more difficult for my wife to be honest,  we have had tears, but it is what it is and I'm sure many other people are going through the same.

We have facetime as well but it's not the same.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, joachim1965 said:

Seen him through a window, but not seen him properly, it's more difficult for my wife to be honest,  we have had tears, but it is what it is and I'm sure many other people are going through the same.

We have facetime as well but it's not the same.

Sorry was a bad joke that really wasn’t very funny.

Ive got a niece and nephew that I’m missing like mad so I know what you mean, hopefully come Monday you will get the green like to see them should you think it’s safe.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Webbo said:

The self employed can claim their govt grant from May 15th. I've just registered with the govt, takes 5-10 minutes.

Was always the case, no?

Thought people were applying for the grants few weeks ago and then it was around mid-May they find out if they're eligible, then get their payments in June...

I'm 35 and I don't find any of the previously discussed women attractive. I don't have kids, maybe that's the game changer. Maybe when you have a kid your subconscious starts attracting you to very average, older women so you avoid having kids again.

• Haha 3

36 minutes ago, Mike Oxlong said:

25 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Was always the case, no?

Thought people were applying for the grants few weeks ago and then it was around mid-May they find out if they're eligible, then get their payments in June...

You could register from May the 4th. It does say check eligibility but I had to fill a few things in and they've given me an ID number.

28 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Sorry was a bad joke that really wasn’t very funny.

Ive got a niece and nephew that I’m missing like mad so I know what you mean, hopefully come Monday you will get the green like to see them should you think it’s safe.

Same here Costock, I'm missing @StanSP fiance, and @davieG wive, I feel like crying :cry:.  Green light can't come quick enough

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Here's hoping there's something about partners who don't live today. I haven't seen my missus for 8 weeks now.

19 minutes ago, bovril said:

I'm 35 and I don't find any of the previously discussed women attractive. I don't have kids, maybe that's the game changer. Maybe when you have a kid your subconscious starts attracting you to very average, older women so you avoid having kids again.

Or maybe you aren't attracted to women at all:ph34r:

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

45 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Considering that the UK has now the second highest death toll in the world despite Italy being 3 weeks ahead of us in the outbreak, imo we should think very hard about the wisdom of relaxing the lock-down as soon as next Monday. Today, another 649 people died, another awful figure. Because we've now got used to the threat of catching the virus, that shouldn't be a reason to drop our guard.

We'll all be umeployed and probably homeless if this carries on for another 6 weeks.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

I'm sorry but that's simply just not true.

We haven't had that many deaths in a day since before mid April. Around half that now. Don't forget about backdated reporting.

We should be thinking very hard about everything and that includes the impact of lockdown on health, physically and mentally. 

The loosening will be cautious anyway and that's without factoring in how cautious our fear-stricken population will act out of lockdown. Plus many of the most vulnerable will already have been plucked off. Plus we're further out of winter. Plus we have more ICU capacity now. Plus other nations coming out of lockdown are so far proving there has been no instant, massive second wave. Plus chances are hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of people may already have had the virus without displaying symptoms. Plus we know for a fine fact now that unless you're obese, have prior ailments or are over 70, you could consider yourself woefully unfortunate to come down with a serious condition of this.

Things will begin to loosen from next week, and I believe it's the right move.

Screenshot_20200506-201710~2.png

Why are the Media News outlets,Reporting then 600+ deaths,nearly every day...???

10 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

I'm sorry but that's simply just not true.

We haven't had that many deaths in a day since before mid April. Around half that now. Don't forget about backdated reporting.

We should be thinking very hard about everything and that includes the impact of lockdown on health, physically and mentally. 

The loosening will be cautious anyway and that's without factoring in how cautious our fear-stricken population will act out of lockdown. Plus many of the most vulnerable will already have been plucked off. Plus we're further out of winter. Plus we have more ICU capacity now. Plus other nations coming out of lockdown are so far proving there has been no instant, massive second wave. Plus chances are hundreds upon hundreds of thousands of people may already have had the virus without displaying symptoms. Plus we know for a fine fact now that unless you're obese, have prior ailments or are over 70, you could consider yourself woefully unfortunate to come down with a serious condition of this.

Things will begin to loosen from next week, and I believe it's the right move.

Screenshot_20200506-201710~2.png

Not often we agree, but you are spot on here.

1 minute ago, fuchsntf said:

Why are the Media News outlets,Reporting then 600+ deaths,nearly every day...???

Deaths are backdated, around a third of that number probably died over a week ago.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

The reporting is still catching up on deaths from the first couple of weeks in April when we were at our peak.

Edited by Nod.E

3 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

Catching up on those that are reported even though they might have died up to 10 days ago.

2 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

There’s a lag ....... it’s deaths reported in the past 24 hours and covers the past few weeks ...... we do have too many care homes deaths at the moment which is masking the lowering number in the hospitals.   The issue with care homes is that here we have a ‘captive audience’ of potential victims who cannot escape. They are already locked down and the deaths are being recorded under lockdown circumstances. I don’t see what affect easing lockdown will have on care homes unless you feel that more care workers will become infected and take the virus back into some homes which may be getting on top of their problem.