Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

2 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Fair enough Alf, I certainly don’t mean to blasé with other people’s health. I’m probably just a bit fed up and frustrated.

On a brighter note, I may be getting some financial support, I’m waiting for confirmation but it looks promising that I could get rehired and furloughed by an umbrella company I used, when I did some agency work in March. I don’t know how much or if it’s backdated or not yet but anything helps. 

Thanks, mate.

I do appreciate that different people face different pressures here. Although I'm not rich, I'm not skint and I can work from home, even if I've lost a bit of work.

I do understand that others may be under much more pressure re. work and simply getting enough income to pay the bills, having a mortgage and very young kids, no savings etc.

I'm sure most of us are also finding the isolation tough to varying degrees - more so recently for me, after finding it quite easy until the last week or so.

That's also part of my thinking. I want us to be in a position before too long to get out doing some things we enjoy, seeing friends & extended family, watching football, traveling, whatever.

I fear that if we allow a second wave from where we are now, either we'll end up with a longer/more severe lockdown - or those like me with health vulnerabilities will be obliged to self-isolate for much, much longer to avoid becoming one of the many casualties of a needless second bout of carnage.....and I might struggle to handle that.

Glad to hear that things are looking up for you with this potential new opportunity. I hope that works out for you. Good luck! :thumbup:

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Webbo said:

Nobody is saying that people at risk shouldn't isolate.

I've addressed this point in the 2nd paragraph of my reply to Strokes.

Basically, I don't want to have to self-isolate needlessly. Who does?

If it's unavoidable, so be it. But at the moment it does seem avoidable.

We're starting phase 1 of re-openings in Ireland tomorrow. Places like Garden Centres and Electrical shops are open tot the public again with distancing measures in place.

Schools though wont reopen until September and the All Ireland Gaelic Football and Hurling Championships that were due to start over the last 2 weekends have been postponed and very unlikely to be played.

We've had well over 20,000 cases and just over 1,500 deaths.We have been fairly consistent in reporting covid related deaths. Its really been the nursing homes that have suffered the most. Over 70s account for close to 85% of the overall total. The death rate was a lot higher than I was expecting but it's close to what we would normally have in the same time frame the last 3 to 4 years. Dublin has suffered a lot but the likes of Limerick and Cork have not done that badly considering their size.

The number of new cases has fallen to just over 100 per day the last week and we are close to deaths below 10. We have more than likely passed the first wave of the virus. The loosening of restrictions will no doubt cause a rise in new cases but the summer should start to have more restrictions loosened. The main fear will be in September onwards but the most devastating of the crisis hopefully has come and gone.

Edited by Blue ROI

3 hours ago, Strokes said:

Well yes if everything remains the same, but add people in contact into the equation at 0.75 and the r can rise.

Which is my point. It won’t die unless we wait until it is zero (if not it will inevitably increase) or have a comprehensive test trace and isolate system in place.

Two words for you.

Pipe.

Dream.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, st albans fox said:

He says children are very unlikely to catch the virus .... directly contradicts the actual evidence from the ongoing studies of actual data ..... so I’m not bothering with a serious analysis of anything else he writes ..........

Children which are badly affected by it are showing symptoms similar to Kawasaki disease. Horrible - seems rare but terrifying for a child to suffer toxic shock 

13 hours ago, Swan Lesta said:

I was listening to Boris’ announcement last Sunday and was a little reassured by the notion that workplaces would be inspected for social distancing compliance. It appears from this that that was just something to say and not actually true?

https://inews.co.uk/news/business/coronavirus-uk-boris-johnson-promised-workplace-safety-inspections-2855984?utm_campaign=inews-breakingnews-api&utm_source=hs_email&utm_medium=email&utm_content=88047017&_hsenc=p2ANqtz-9hxitpz-EUXMcrrxocb-ygulym--zJm3ioG8hRxBohaNEgFZ1tP6_Iax5hXGFcdghJyLdm3VaIPiTDe9vSHVDb47GHjw&_hsmi=88047017

The guidelines make reference to if you as a employee feel uncomfortable contact the HSE. However it appears there is no enforcement action related to employers failing to have a workplace observing and assisting the recommended social distancing actions. 

8 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Thanks, mate.

I do appreciate that different people face different pressures here. Although I'm not rich, I'm not skint and I can work from home, even if I've lost a bit of work.

I do understand that others may be under much more pressure re. work and simply getting enough income to pay the bills, having a mortgage and very young kids, no savings etc.

I'm sure most of us are also finding the isolation tough to varying degrees - more so recently for me, after finding it quite easy until the last week or so.

That's also part of my thinking. I want us to be in a position before too long to get out doing some things we enjoy, seeing friends & extended family, watching football, traveling, whatever.

I fear that if we allow a second wave from where we are now, either we'll end up with a longer/more severe lockdown - or those like me with health vulnerabilities will be obliged to self-isolate for much, much longer to avoid becoming one of the many casualties of a needless second bout of carnage.....and I might struggle to handle that.

Glad to hear that things are looking up for you with this potential new opportunity. I hope that works out for you. Good luck! :thumbup:

I think this is the thing for me (and probably everyone). There are so many different strands to worry about and I find myself worrying about different things at different times.

I worry about actually catching the virus and all the fears associated with that? What if I get really poorly? OK, it's not likely based on statistical information (talking about my own personal situation here), but you never know. And even if I don't get really poorly - the impact of having to isolate would be difficult.

I worry about work and money. I am fortunate (so far) that I am able to work from home and am getting full pay and the missus is still working at the hospital so financially at least we have not been impacted. Combined with getting our holiday money back we're actually in a decent position BUT i don't know what the knock on effect at work will be - and it wouldn't take long to burn through that cash if my job did go tits up!

I worry about the impact on my kids education. I struggle to get them to do any meaninful school work as I'm trying to work at home at the same time, so it's easier to just leave them to it!

I worry about my wife at work being exposed to covid every day and being so tired after a shift she can barely keep awake to drive home

I worry about my dad who lives alone and I am the only person who can do his shopping etc. Despite being in pretty poor health with COPD, diabetes and about a million other ailments he has not received a shielding letter so gets no additional help. Which means I have to check in on him a couple of times a day, shop for him etc. He also doesn't really seem to grasp that I shouldn't really be having too much contact with him, so when I go to drop shopping off (which really I should be just dropping at the door) he's like "can you change this lightbulb" or "i can't get my ipad to work" so I have to attend to these things too!

I worry about the long term effect on the economy, jobs, peoples mental and physical health

Some days, I just feel a real longing for "the old days" and it really hurts.

I appreciate this is all a bit "me me me" and lots of people are in much worse positions than me, but it felt good to type it out!

• Like 4

Guest MattP
10 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

us and america are the stupidest countries in terms of complete morons per 100 people, it's no real surprise we have the most deaths and both countries don't even seem arsed. 

Even if we choose to believe the Chinese data and we are in the top two in the World (unlikely) per head of population even on the official figures we have less deaths per head than Italy, Spain and Belgium.

Death tolls won't be worked out for years, we've seen mass graves built in New York, Mexico City and Quito so you wouldn't want to imagine the real numbers there.

1 hour ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Children which are badly affected by it are showing symptoms similar to Kawasaki disease. Horrible - seems rare but terrifying for a child to suffer toxic shock 

it is indeed v rare - and whilst horrible, I believe treatable.

the point being that kids catch and transmit the virus  - something that the article stated does not happen. 

11 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

us and america are the stupidest countries in terms of complete morons per 100 people, it's no real surprise we have the most deaths and both countries don't even seem arsed. 

The current death rates are early estimates and many countries have no way of measuring them or the counties are simply too big for the infrastructure of it 

There have been tens of thousands of extra urns have been seen entering China,  Russia have admitted that following post-mortem thet found other issues and they're not marking positive test  covid deaths down as covid deaths  And Sao Paulo - a healthcare system which caters to 20mil people is at 90% capacity and on the verge  of collapse and about to br overwhelmed - much higher than London's was, despite catering to over twice the number of people.

Brazil for example, has been notorious for having it's people constantly flouting the lockdown rules- their President is even encouraging people to break them.

I'd be very very surprised if China, Russia and Brazil all have less deaths than the UK, unless there's a massive discrepancy in the severity of the different strains those countries got compared to us. I'd also be very surprised if the global death rate isn't 20 times or more higher than 300,000 in reality.

Edited by Sampson

40 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

it is indeed v rare - and whilst horrible, I believe treatable.

the point being that kids catch and transmit the virus  - something that the article stated does not happen. 

Another key consideration not being made in re-opening the schools. They've got a much lower rate of serious illness, sure, but is it really worth it letting any get this bad?

48 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

Another key consideration not being made in re-opening the schools. They've got a much lower rate of serious illness, sure, but is it really worth it letting any get this bad?

are you saying that 99.99% of kids shouldn’t be educated because 0.01% could develop a v horrible (but treatable) illness ????

Edited by st albans fox

51 minutes ago, Sampson said:

The current death rates are early estimates and many countries have no way of measuring them or the counties are simply too big for the infrastructure of it 

There have been tens of thousands of extra urns have been seen entering China,  Russia have admitted that following post-mortem thet found other issues and they're not marking positive test  covid deaths down as covid deaths  And Sao Paulo - a healthcare system which caters to 20mil people is at 90% capacity and on the verge  of collapse and about to br overwhelmed - much higher than London's was, despite catering to over twice the number of people.

Brazil for example, has been notorious for having it's people constantly flouting the lockdown rules- their President is even encouraging people to break them.

I'd be very very surprised if China, Russia and Brazil all have less deaths than the UK, unless there's a massive discrepancy in the severity of the different strains those countries got compared to us. I'd also be very surprised if the global death rate isn't 20 times or more higher than 300,000 in reality.

Democracies around the world will show via excess deaths how destructive this virus was. China and Russia will show excess deaths in line with the data they have published ......those countries that have had large outbreaks and falsified their numbers will be obvious in the end ......

25 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Democracies around the world will show via excess deaths how destructive this virus was. China and Russia will show excess deaths in line with the data they have published ......those countries that have had large outbreaks and falsified their numbers will be obvious in the end ......

I'm not saying that so much. Though of course there's bound to be some of that, especially with China and Russia.

With Brazil and Russia especially rhough I just think they'll have no infrastructure to really catch these things in such large countries . Besides from the fact they worn't have anywhere near the funding and resources to do it like western countries will, there are still millions living in the Amazon and Siberia in tribes or even nomadic lives with little or no electricity which the government will have absolutely no idea how many have died and I doubt have been able to count any deaths from this in this regions. The deaths in the community will be far greater just due to the lack of centralisation and huge difference between those living in the city and those living in remote areas.

Edited by Sampson

29 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

are you saying that 99.99% of kids shouldn’t be educated because 0.01% could develop a v horrible (but treatable) illness ????

Yeah. That's precisely what I'm saying. Don't educate the children. You've nailed it, buddy.

• Like 1

2 children under 15 years old have died from the  virus since March 1st

12 children(av) are killed in road traffic accidents since March 1st

I really think there should be some kind of ban on cars etc, the risk is too high.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ScouseFox said:

I'm not sure about Countries per say but we certainly have some of the most stupid, arrogant deluded twats along with the USA..

The Co-op has reported a rise in violent offences in their stores across the country.

A spokesperson from Central England Co-operative said that there have been more and more reported cases of staff being spat and coughed at.

The retailer, which has over 260 food stores and petrol stations across 16 counties, has now been forced to reiterate a plea for its teams to be treated with "care, compassion and respect" during this period of unprecedented time.

Figures for the past four weeks have seen incidents of verbal abuse jump from 11 per week to 24, which, in some cases, is over four times higher than the same period during 2019.

• Sad 1

Yeah. The flu is stastically more dangerous to children than covid. It seems excessive to keep them away from school for their own health reasons.

From what I can see, the debate should be about whether children can still carry it and spread or not and therefore start bringing it to their teachers, parents and grandparents. I don't know what the latest is on that however.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, nnickn said:

2 children under 15 years old have died from the  virus since March 1st

12 children(av) are killed in road traffic accidents since March 1st

I really think there should be some kind of ban on cars etc, the risk is too high.

And as a unforeseen side effect, it may help with this issue we apparently have with the weather or climate, or something...    :dry:

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Wow. 

To be fair, she was moaning about the social distancing (or lack of) rather than the number of people.

Social media yet again making the required mountain out of a molehill

• Like 4