Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

22 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

It can help people’s confidence being out if those around them have masks on.  I won’t bore you with how effective masks are but I have had to become a bit of a mask nerd  past month or so ........it’s tough to tell the difference between a medical grade surgical and a non medical grade one. 

wide aisle shops are ok but many supermarkets have narrow aisles and social distancing is impossible - but people interact only briefly 

So what do you reckon,,,?

Yea or Nay

2 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Not really sure what gloves are for. I think it’s generally accepted that the virus cannot penetrate the skin of your hand, and I’m not even sure it can get in through a cut as it only (?) binds to certain types of cell in the nose and lungs.

If you were wearing gloves and touched something containing virus, presumably it would transfer to the gloves, just as it would to your hands without gloves. If you then touch your mouth, nose or eyes, that’s when the virus infects, whether wearing gloves or not.

Best to just wash hands or sanitise regularly.

I have a box of disposable gloves in my car.

I sell online so every time I pull up outside the Post Office the gloves go on.  I do my business (so to speak) and as soon as I leave the shop the gloves go in the bin.  Any potential germs trapped and not transferred to my car.  Everyone should be doing it.

Just as an aside, the amount of waste plastic from this pandemic is going to be awful.

1 minute ago, Milo said:

So what do you reckon,,,?

Yea or Nay

There is a downside if it makes people over confident and feel they don’t need to socially distance but overall I simply cannot see why the govt aren’t instructing the public to wear them when inside in public (rather than advising) . if you make it advisory then too many people simply won’t bother ........ I know that when I’m close to people without a mask on then I feel uncomfortable. (Mainly for them ).  Wearing a mask makes me feel better and I suspect it makes others also. Getting some normality back into our lives will mean going out and about, and going shopping ....... wearing a mask will help with the confidence to do that, irrespective of whether it actually protects you. 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

There is a downside if it makes people over confident and feel they don’t need to socially distance but overall I simply cannot see why the govt aren’t instructing the public to wear them when inside in public (rather than advising) . if you make it advisory then too many people simply won’t bother ........ I know that when I’m close to people without a mask on then I feel uncomfortable. (Mainly for them ).  Wearing a mask makes me feel better and I suspect it makes others also. Getting some normality back into our lives will mean going out and about, and going shopping ....... wearing a mask will help with the confidence to do that, irrespective of whether it actually protects you. 

I feel more uncomfortable seeing people with masks on. Thats probably because i feel like they want to rob me though haha

• Like 1

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Hmmm. Bit tricky though, isn't it. 

If it boosts confidence in people and gets them back to some kind of normal interaction, but doesn't do much in the way of protection, then it may be a little counterproductive.

I've ordered a few but not used them yet, wife uses one if she goes out shopping.  

22 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

I bought a load way back at the beginning of lockdown. The blue ones. I was under the impression that if you can’t blow a candle out whilst wearing them, from close range, then they do have some benefit towards protecting others from you if you do carry the virus, as far as transmission through saliva goes. Is that bollocks? Because these ones I have, I would hyperventilate through trying to blow the flame out before I actually managed it I reckon!!! 

There is alot of guys that believe in lots of conspiracy against 5 G and this virus.

I'm from a scientific environment, background and the evidence is compelling.

To be factual there is not anything I believe in but there are things we need to think about

21 minutes ago, stix said:

I bought a load way back at the beginning of lockdown. The blue ones. I was under the impression that if you can’t blow a candle out whilst wearing them, from close range, then they do have some benefit towards protecting others from you if you do carry the virus, as far as transmission through saliva goes. Is that bollocks? Because these ones I have, I would hyperventilate through trying to blow the flame out before I actually managed it I reckon!!! 

The 3 ply blue disposable ones that cost around 60/80p each are not medical grade so you aren’t nicking one from a medical professional. And the majority of those (check the box or advert for a standard - EN14683 or EN149 ) provide filtration of 95/99% of particles. Obviously the only issue is the sides where air can escape or enter.  If you don’t wear it for too long and it doesn’t get wet then you can re use it but they are supposed to be chucked away after proper use. 

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Dr The Singh said:

There is alot of guys that believe in lots of conspiracy against 5 G and this virus.

To be factual there is not anything I believe in but there are things we need to think about

Of 5g being linked to the virus? What evidence?

1 hour ago, Dr The Singh said:

#bringbackconfusedfaceemoji

2 hours ago, murphy said:

I have a box of disposable gloves in my car.

I sell online so every time I pull up outside the Post Office the gloves go on.  I do my business (so to speak) and as soon as I leave the shop the gloves go in the bin.  Any potential germs trapped and not transferred to my car.  Everyone should be doing it.

Just as an aside, the amount of waste plastic from this pandemic is going to be awful.

Used in this way perhaps they help a little, but i suspect that in the process of taking them off, virus on the outside of the gloves is likely to be transferred to your hands. The way to stop this is to sanitise the gloves before taking them off or after doing so, but then you may as well have just sanitised your hands before getting in the car anyway.

Agree about the amount of plastic waste. I really hope hospitals in particular have decent disposal pathways.

Seeing scenes like that in London still highlight people inability to live in the real world, fantasising about conspiracies and coverups and not being willing to accept realism. Coronavirus is a real thing, people are dying, loved ones are being lost and young lives being cut short. Nurses have been seen on their knees in tears whilst at work, and in some cases working well over 12 hours for the love of their jobs and an attempt to save lives. This isn’t a time for pillocks with megaphones to be misquoting John Lennon lyrics and gathering to make a pint about nothing. 

The more arsepipes that keep up this behaviour the harder time we will have of returning to normal.... sometimes these pillocks should have a wash, get a hair cut, look at themselves in the mirror and grow up. They’re not special and they’re no different or better than anyone else, we’re all in this as a nation, and they are the ones letting us down.

And a thumbs up to the cops for not letting them drag them down either, I have a lot of friends who are cops, they haven’t been issued with PPE, they don’t have masks, and don’t have any more gloves than normal, so being asked to deal with such idiocy in times like these are remarkable, some of them will probably have vulnerable people at home.

This whole situation is a sad mess. I saw people taking kids around a supermarket today, their staff not observing the distancing and very few face coverings on. 

Throw in the continuous stream of negative news from the country’s performance and the vilifying of teachers in such quarters. It’s sad, stop the world I want to get off   

• Like 1