Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

39 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Northern Ireland allowing up to 6 people from different households to meet up from tomorrow. 

Interesting to see their numbers in a few weeks time following that easing. 

It’s still at 2m apart though isn’t it? I socially distance with more people than that everyday at work. 

5 hours ago, z-layrex said:

Moving house does not include moving in with (presumably of an older age) in-laws.

Some people just do not get it do they? You can live in your own household and self isolate if necessary. You can't move house or move people in with you. Nor can you move into another relatives house. Surely it's not that difficult?

I hope you're coping with the pressure you're under. It's been manic for ICU/HDU staff. Ambulance services seem to have had it easy in terms of numbers but every call is a potential for infection.

Keep up your great work and that of your staff. :appl:

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Parafox said:

Some people just do not get it do they? You can live in your own household and self isolate if necessary. You can't move house or move people in with you. Nor can you move into another relatives house. Surely it's not that difficult?

I hope you're coping with the pressure you're under. It's been manic for ICU/HDU staff. Ambulance services seem to have had it easy in terms of numbers but every call is a potential for infection.

Keep up your great work and that of your staff. :appl:

You can move house. People have been moving house throughout this whole thing. The process, and the circumstances around doing it just changed. 

2 minutes ago, stix said:

You can move house. People have been moving house throughout this whole thing. The process, and the circumstances around doing it just changed. 

I meant you can't move in with others which what was being suggested in the original comment that z-layrex was responding to. Just a typo, mate, sorry.

• Like 1

Everyone aged five and over in the UK with symptoms can now be tested for coronavirus, Health Secretary Matt Hancock has announced.

He was speaking in Parliament after the loss of taste or smell was added to the list of Covid-19 symptoms, alongside a fever and a new persistent cough.

Mr Hancock said the government was "expanding eligibility for testing further than ever before".

He added 100,678 tests had been conducted on Sunday.

Testing in England and Scotland has been limited to people with symptoms who are key workers and their families, hospital patients, care home residents, over-65s and those who need to leave home to work.

In Wales and Northern Ireland it was just key workers, hospital workers and care home residents.

The first hints that a vaccine can train people's immune system to fight coronavirus have been reported by a company in the US.

Moderna said neutralising antibodies were found in the first eight people who took part in their safety trials.

It also said the immune response was similar to people infected with the actual virus.

Larger trials to see whether the jab actually protects against infection are expected to start in July.

Work on a coronavirus vaccine has been taking place at unprecedented speed, with around 80 groups around the world working on them.

Moderna was the first to test an experimental vaccine, called mRNA-1273, in people.

The vaccine is a small snippet of the coronavirus's genetic code, which is injected into the patient.

It is not capable of causing an infection or the symptoms of Covid-19, but is enough to provoke a response from the immune system.

The vaccine trials, run by the US government's National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, showed the vaccine led to the production of antibodies which can neutralise the coronavirus.

However, testing for these neutralising antibodies has only taken place on the first eight, out of 45, people on the trial.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Parafox said:

I meant you can't move in with others which what was being suggested in the original comment that z-layrex was responding to. Just a typo, mate, sorry.

Just to play devils advocate, what happens if you’ve been evicted from a rental and that becomes the only option? 

Just now, lildave3 said:

Just to play devils advocate, what happens if you’ve been evicted from a rental and that becomes the only option? 

You can move in with someone else as far as I’m aware. Extenuating circumstances I think

5 minutes ago, lildave3 said:

Shouldn’t be happening atm.

The UK Government passed into law the Coronavirus Act on Wednesday 25 March 2020 providing additional powers to deal with the Coronavirus outbreak including measures to suspend new evictions from private rented accommodation while the national crisis is taking place.

Under the Coronavirus Act, landlords will not be able to start proceedings to evict tenants for at least a three-month period. This includes possession of tenancies in the Rent Act 1977, the Housing Act 1985, the Housing Act 1996 and the Housing Act 1988.

• Like 2

Just now, Strokes said:

Shouldn’t be happening atm.

The UK Government passed into law the Coronavirus Act on Wednesday 25 March 2020 providing additional powers to deal with the Coronavirus outbreak including measures to suspend new evictions from private rented accommodation while the national crisis is taking place.

Under the Coronavirus Act, landlords will not be able to start proceedings to evict tenants for at least a three-month period. This includes possession of tenancies in the Rent Act 1977, the Housing Act 1985, the Housing Act 1996 and the Housing Act 1988.

This is very true. 

8 minutes ago, Father Ted said:

Why are we not looking at some genuine statistics here? 

A virus that has killed 33 people under the age of 40 and just over 300 if you include all under the age of 60 with no underlying health conditions has stopped the whole country? Now consider the future deaths that will be incurred on those under 60s with no underlying health conditions (ie the large majority of our work force), because of this lockdown, which, judging by those statistics really shouldn't have applied to them? The impacts of a crashing economy, unemployment and knock on health effects due to a lack of diagnosis and treatment during lockdown. 

Furthermore, it was widely reported the other day that London has an r value of 0.4 and reporting only 24 new cases a day, halving every 3.5 days. Could it be that London is close to herd immunity without us knowing? When you consider how susceptible the working age population  (again those under 60) would have been prior to lockdown - on the crammed tubes, in the busy pubs and tight pavements, it's more than plausible that many have had it asymptomatically.  Now look at it from this perspective, you infect as many of the working population (with no health conditions), gain herd immunity amongst these least likely to die and you largely reduce the risk and capacity for it to spread to those who are vulnerable, and it's quite plausible that this is what has happened in London. 

Furthermore, a total of 15 deaths in Qatar to 32000+ confirmed cases. Now, that either tells me that the death rate is approx 0.05% of this virus or their tests are faulty. Could it be that we are actually rearing a head here now with a virus that has a death rate of 0.05% or so and our huge gap in testing until say 2 weeks ago, and arguably even now as not everyone is valid for a test has far undervalued our total number of cases? Especially as you see estimates of up to 85% having covid asymptomatically. 

It's all certainly interesting and I think that clowns like Piers Morgan will be eating their words in months and years to come as we pick up the pieces from this.

It is bonkers but no doubt people will argue the what ifs to death. 

1 hour ago, Father Ted said:

A virus that has killed 33 people under the age of 40 and just over 300 if you include all under the age of 60 with no underlying health conditions has stopped the whole country? Now consider the future deaths that will be incurred on those under 60s with no underlying health conditions (ie the large majority of our work force), because of this lockdown, which, judging by those statistics really shouldn't have applied to them? The impacts of a crashing economy, unemployment and knock on health effects due to a lack of diagnosis and treatment during lockdown. 

Furthermore, it was widely reported the other day that London has an r value of 0.4 and reporting only 24 new cases a day, halving every 3.5 days. Could it be that London is close to herd immunity without us knowing? When you consider how susceptible the working age population  (again those under 60) would have been prior to lockdown - on the crammed tubes, in the busy pubs and tight pavements, it's more than plausible that many have had it asymptomatically.  Now look at it from this perspective, you infect as many of the working population (with no health conditions), gain herd immunity amongst these least likely to die and you largely reduce the risk and capacity for it to spread to those who are vulnerable, and it's quite plausible that this is what has happened in London. 

Furthermore, a total of 15 deaths in Qatar to 32000+ confirmed cases. Now, that either tells me that the death rate is approx 0.05% of this virus or their tests are faulty. Could it be that we are actually rearing a head here now with a virus that has a death rate of 0.05% or so and our huge gap in testing until say 2 weeks ago, and arguably even now as not everyone is valid for a test has far undervalued our total number of cases? Especially as you see estimates of up to 85% having covid asymptomatically. 

It's all certainly interesting and I think that clowns like Piers Morgan will be eating their words in months and years to come as we pick up the pieces from this.

Great post, agree with everything you say 👏 

Had a patient on my ward who had previously been tested for this virus twice in the past ten days - both were negative, despite the nurses being adamant that he's got it.

He had a third one and the results today showed that he was indeed positive..

Perhaps the testing for this isn't entirely accurate for all? :dunno:

• Like 1

Just now, Wymsey said:

Had a patient on my ward who had previously been tested for this virus twice in the past ten days - both were negative, despite the nurses being adamant that he's got it.

He had a third one and the results today showed that he was indeed positive..

Perhaps the testing for this isn't entirely accurate for all? :dunno:

Bugger. That is not good at all. :(

Not sure why I assumed testing was fine, guess I just had trust/dumbassness. 
Wonder what the percentage of such cases is?

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Bugger. That is not good at all. :(

Not sure why I assumed testing was fine, guess I just had trust/dumbassness. 
Wonder what the percentage of such cases is?

If it is so inconclusive, maybe the positive test isn’t positive

1 hour ago, Father Ted said:

the whole covid thing is just a control event by the global powers that be