Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

so it’s just been announced that Italy has just reached 1,000 deaths with about 15,000 cases in total.  That’s way above the chinese death rate  ( who were definitely telling the truth of course)

But someone tell the Pope! that’s 6.66%!!!

4 minutes ago, MPH said:

so it’s just been announced that Italy has just reached 1,000 deaths with about 15,000 cases in total.  That’s way above the chinese death rate  ( who were definitely telling the truth of course)

The UK seem pretty convinced that the mortality rate is 1%. So if we say that mortality rate is higher in Italy due to overstretched medical services (2-3%), you're probably looking at there's at very minimum triple the number of cases in Italy, perhaps up to ten times (50,000-150,000 cases currently).

59 minutes ago, MrSpaM said:

This was Leicester Royal A+E, and they said everybody who was going in was getting seen relatively quickly, and the waiting room was packed when they were there. Might not be like this all over the country but it seems like Leicester Royal are doing a decent job of diagnosing people quickly

111 definitely aren't putting people on a waiting list let's put it that way,  they have no right to do that anyway, they either tell you to stay at home or go to a+e

16 minutes ago, MPH said:

so my sister just came back from a holiday in Egypt. there were many people in her resort  including quite a few Italians.

shes come back and isn’t feeling well. kind of achy and under the weather .  she called 111 but apparently they won’t test her because she hasn’t been to a high risk area. 

fair enough , she might have just caught a cold or something probably doesn’t have the covid19 but wouldn’t it be safer to be testing her? it’s little gaps like this that could cause carriers  to slip through the net undetected and that’s it, BOOM. 

As an aside Egypt itself has had less than 100 cases but it still accounts for more than half the cases in all of Africa..

Everyone being seen relatively quickly then?

6 months of this according to Boris, a peak in 12 weeks and then we'll have 12 weeks of harsh measures.

21 minutes ago, MPH said:

so my sister just came back from a holiday in Egypt. there were many people in her resort  including quite a few Italians.

shes come back and isn’t feeling well. kind of achy and under the weather .  she called 111 but apparently they won’t test her because she hasn’t been to a high risk area. 

fair enough , she might have just caught a cold or something probably doesn’t have the covid19 but wouldn’t it be safer to be testing her? it’s little gaps like this that could cause carriers  to slip through the net undetected and that’s it, BOOM. 

As an aside Egypt itself has had less than 100 cases but it still accounts for more than half the cases in all of Africa..

Egypt hasn't been telling the truth to protect their tourism industry. They started exporting cases to various countries weeks ago, which is a sign of lots of unreported cases. I'd suggest she self isolate. 

11 minutes ago, MPH said:

They're only testing people in hospital or who get the respiratory symptoms though. Exactly like the UK just announced.

People with just the flu part and not the respiratory infection will very likely just be told to self-isolate and not get tested.

I think it's likely there's 100,000+ people with it there in reality.

Zambia checking on three potential cases. I am sure it is here already, just not been tested properly for. The hospital responsible is not very good at all. 

We've just cancelled a conference for businesses from a European country to Zambia. Still supposed to be going to the European country end of April. But I can't see that happening.

Ireland have only 43 cases but are taking decisive action to stop the spread. 
We’re told to wash our hands and keep a stiff upper lip. 
Nearly all other countries sport is now gonna be either postponed or behind closed doors. Lots is already. Again no action here.

We’re just following Italy on that curve and ignoring it and not acting. 
It’s like our government actually want thousands to die.

4 minutes ago, shanetko said:

Nearly all other countries sport is now gonna be either postponed or behind closed doors. Lots is already. Again no action here.

We are acting, we just have a slightly different plan. 

They gave reasonable explanations for the actions they're taking in the press conference.

10 minutes ago, shanetko said:

I think the thing is there's a lot of people voluntarily isolating themselves at the moment anyway. I am because my job lends very well to it. I have heard that London is a complete ghost town, with tubes quiet even at peak times. The issue is forcing people to stay off work before it becomes a really critical time - there are inevitably people who are going to lose money, can't work that effectively at home, who if you force them to stay at home after a while are going to rebel at the very time when they most need to be isolating themselves. 

47 minutes ago, MPH said:

Keep saying this but total cases shouldn’t be used, should be deaths/deaths+recoveries

Two problems with that though, one is it takes a long time to discharge people so will include lots in a non life-threatening condition and two misses all the asymptomatic people.

Edited by bmt

7 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Not sure whether to go Watford now, looking like a stupid decision but then I don't know if I'm being stupid and panicing without good reason too.

Same mate. I’ve got asthma and currently have bruised/broken ribs which can cause   Chest infections so I don’t know how wise it is to go.

3 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Just been reading about Italy appealing for help from the EU and were met with silence. China stepped in to provide medicines. This is going to have massive repercussions when it's over.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world/1254180/coronavirus-italy-latest-news-european-commission-china-italy-covid-19

That’s remarkable. You know who your friends are in times of crisis.

3 minutes ago, rachhere said:

I think the thing is there's a lot of people voluntarily isolating themselves at the moment anyway. I am because my job lends very well to it. I have heard that London is a complete ghost town, with tubes quiet even at peak times. The issue is forcing people to stay off work before it becomes a really critical time - there are inevitably people who are going to lose money, can't work that effectively at home, who if you force them to stay at home after a while are going to rebel at the very time when they most need to be isolating themselves. 

What happens after they isolate themselves, they can't do that forever and when they emerge from their isolation do they expect the virus to have disappeared or will they just catch it and prolong it's life. 

1 minute ago, Costock_Fox said:

Same mate. I’ve got asthma and currently have bruised/broken ribs which can cause   Chest infections so I don’t know how wise it is to go.

As you have a breathing issue I think it would be foolish to attend. The disease is respiratory in nature so could be serious if you got it.

10 minutes ago, Lionator said:

We are acting, we just have a slightly different plan. 

They gave reasonable explanations for the actions they're taking in the press conference.

People like grand gestures though and tbf the government should know that from behavioural science and just produce one. Idk let's shut all pubs. Introduce it alongside a measure they can say comes directly from South Korea and they're onto massive winner

2 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Probably not that wise mate.

Just now, Costock_Fox said:

It's a tough one. The official advice from the UK is that sporting events don't carry as much risk as being close to people in small groups. But at the same time I've read opinions from experts saying that minimising large events does 'flatten the curve'.

I'm reluctant, and I think games should be played bhd. It's only football ffs

• Like 2

What a joke that ‘containment’ phase was. Wash your hands and contact tracing the few people you allow to have positive tests - nothing else. How has that bought us time? It’s a farce. And even if you agree with the way we are dealing with it as I clearly do not, You can’t seriously call it containment.