Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

10 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Madness 111 are saying that. As if time hasn't passed where people could have come back from holiday and passed it on. 

It is madness when you work for the organisation that indemnifies the whole of the NHS and consider what this could lead to in clinical negligence claims if that's what NHS services are dishing out as advice!

6 minutes ago, martyn said:

Right and yet with such a minuscule % infected, the health system in an area containing 15% + of Italian population has collapsed to such an extent anyone under 60 in severe arrest aren't even being treated. 

Small percentages can have a large impact on health services and that's the worry.

But in terms of being worried about actually getting it? Well, you shouldn't be. At all.

6 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

I work in media buying. Predominantly online media buying.

You know the banners you see on this forum? Their average click through rate (by actual people, taking bots out of the equation) is 0.06%.

Currently , 0.0007% of people in the UK have it. So you're 8,832 times more likely to click one of the banners in this thread than you are to currently have coronavirus.

Now yes, it is going to get worse. But even Italy has 0.0206% of its population infected.

So, stop and think for a second how likely it is that you'll click one of the banners in this thread. Then think again about getting coronavirus being thousands of times less likely than that happening.

And then, finally, stop panicking.

I can't pass on and infect an elderly friend or relative with an online banner though. That banner can't potentially kill them. I won't have to take 2 weeks off work and lose income from a clicking an online banner.

I know the chances of getting it are quite low, but the less precautions people take the higher that chance becomes.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Facecloth said:

I can't pass on and infect an elderly friend or relative with an online banner though. That banner can't potentially kill them. I won't have to take 2 weeks off work and lose income from a clicking an online banner.

I know the chances of getting it are quite low, but the less precautions people take the higher that chance becomes.

Equally you can't die in a car crash from clicking on a banner.

Doesn't mean I'm not going to drive because of the small chance of that awful outcome happening.

Edited by Nod.E

16 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

My boss has all the symptoms and is someone with quite bad respiratory issues which have hospitalised him in the past. Anyway, 111 have told him it can't be coronavirus as he hasn't been abroad. This is deeply perturbing.

What's worse is major hospitals not updating their signage from months ago, which don't include Italy or Iran as at risk areas

ES1f0qLXYAAnWtW?format=jpg&name=large

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Ireland has closed schools and colleges until 29th March. 

Leo Varadkar made the announcement this morning from Washington. Nice of him to give travel tips after travelling all the way to America 

Edited by Blue ROI

Just now, Nod.E said:

Equally you can't die in a car crash from clicking on a banner.

Doesn't mean I'm not going to drive because of the small chance of that awful outcome happening.

Of course, but we all take precautions when we get behind a wheel to prevent us causing a crash, and from being killed should we end up in one. I'm not asking my elderly relatives to hold on to the roof rack whilst I drive up the M1

I'm not going to stop going about my daily life, but equally I'm not going to shake hands with someone who's just been sneezing. If I get the symptoms I'm going to take the correct precautions not to pass them on, and I would hope others would too.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

I work in media buying. Predominantly online media buying.

You know the banners you see on this forum? Their average click through rate (by actual people, taking bots out of the equation) is 0.06%.

Currently , 0.0007% of people in the UK have it. So you're 8,832 times more likely to click one of the banners in this thread than you are to currently have coronavirus.

Now yes, it is going to get worse. But even Italy has 0.0206% of its population infected.

So, stop and think for a second how likely it is that you'll click one of the banners in this thread. Then think again about getting coronavirus being thousands of times less likely than that happening.

And then, finally, stop panicking.

You've confused chances of getting it with the chances of currently having it which is obviously complete nonsense. 

Besides the problem in these situations is people thinking about the individual rather than the population. Yeah people might overestimate individual risk but they also underestimate population risk. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

Small percentages can have a large impact on health services and that's the worry.

But in terms of being worried about actually getting it? Well, you shouldn't be. At all.

Not right this second of course, the risk is low, but then you have Boris talking about letting the virus ride through the population. Merkel saying 70% will get infected until vaccine etc. 

With that in mind, how will society react when we see the scenes from Italy (and soon to be Spain by the look of it) start replicating here. 

31 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

My boss has all the symptoms and is someone with quite bad respiratory issues which have hospitalised him in the past. Anyway, 111 have told him it can't be coronavirus as he hasn't been abroad. This is deeply perturbing.

My other half flys for Ryanair and was experiencing a dry cough. Turns out someone flew from East Midlands on a Ryanair flight and was diagnosed when they landed but 111 weren't concerned with that so I’m not shocked.

I think they will only test someone in a very specific scenario at present.

• Sad 1

20 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

You've confused chances of getting it with the chances of currently having it which is obviously complete nonsense. 

Besides the problem in these situations is people thinking about the individual rather than the population. Yeah people might overestimate individual risk but they also underestimate population risk. 

I've already alluded to the fact it will get worse.

Even if 650,000 people were to get it in the UK, around 5x the global number now, it's still only 1% of our population.

I'm not underestimating the impact this will have on health services. Obviously there will be grave consequences in that department.

But since when was that all of a sudden a massive concern? If people/government truly cared about that we'd, as a population, do something about fast food consumption etc which causes chaos with all sorts of diseases.

Edited by Nod.E

1 hour ago, rachhere said:

This logically makes sense, and hopefully is backed up by strong evidence.

1 hour ago, bmt said:

Fair enough. Can understand the logic of that. 

The virus will surely pass through the population anyway, the only thing that can be controlled is speed, which is best controlled by social distancing it seems. This just feels like re-branding a problem which is already going to happen. 

26 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

Of course, but we all take precautions when we get behind a wheel to prevent us causing a crash, and from being killed should we end up in one. I'm not asking my elderly relatives to hold on to the roof rack whilst I drive up the M1

I'm not going to stop going about my daily life, but equally I'm not going to shake hands with someone who's just been sneezing. If I get the symptoms I'm going to take the correct precautions not to pass them on, and I would hope others would too.

You must share the road with better drivers than I lol

I don't see many precautions being taken to avoid danger, personally.

2 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

What dyou reckons more tedious?

People condescendingly telling you not to panic, or people hysterically telling you to panic.

Probably people taking the high ground and sitting on the fence, like yourself.

10 minutes ago, Nod.E said:

I've already alluded to the fact it will get worse.

Even if 650,000 people were to get it in the UK, around 5x the global number now, it's still only 1% of our population.

I'm not underestimating the impact this will have on health services. Obviously there will be grave consequences in that department.

But since when was that all of a sudden a massive concern? If people/government truly cared about that we'd, as a population, do something about fast food consumption etc which causes chaos with all sorts of diseases.

You cannot look at COVID-19 as an isolated thing. Downplay it as much as you want, but this will have repercussions throughout all areas of society.

5 minutes ago, bovril said:

The virus will surely pass through the population anyway, the only thing that can be controlled is speed, which is best controlled by social distancing it seems. This just feels like re-branding a problem which is already going to happen. 

Some countries have tried to absolutely stop it at source (mainly China from my knowledge)

25 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Well I'm not worried about getting it myself, but I *am* concerned about passing it on, either directly or indirectly, to several people I know and who are likely to be harder hit by an infection than I am.

To say you shouldn't worry "at all" is ridiculous. I'm not some nonce ramming my house full of bog rolls, but by the same token I'm also considering my actions in order to give myself the maximum chance of helping others more vulnerable than me to avoid getting it. There is a happy medium to be found here in way you react to the outbreak.

And these are exactly my views. As somebody is in the younger age category - am I worried about dying from it? No.

am I worried about getting it and passing it on to somebody who isn’t in that age category? Yes.

• Like 2