Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

Just now, Alf Bentley said:

If your nose is running, you probably don't have COVID-19

COVID-19 can be most easily distinguished from colds, allergies, and the flu based on a trifecta of symptoms: fever, dry cough, and shortness of breath. That last symptom is not associated with colds or the flu, though it is common for allergies.

And at the same time today I heard that this is possibly not true.....

6 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

covid 19 compared to other common conditions table

If your nose is running, you probably don't have COVID-19

COVID-19 can be most easily distinguished from colds, allergies, and the flu based on a trifecta of symptoms: fever, dry cough, and shortness of breath. That last symptom is not associated with colds or the flu, though it is common for allergies.

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.05.20030502v1 New virology research coming out does not support this. Cold symptoms can very much be a sign of Covid-19 infection. 

10 minutes ago, bovril said:

And at the same time today I heard that this is possibly not true.....

3 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1101/2020.03.05.20030502v1 New virology research coming out does not support this. Cold symptoms can very much be a sign of Covid-19 infection. 

I've deleted my post in case it is misinformed and misleading (I have no expertise).

However, various apparently credible sources do make similar comparisons of symptoms.

Just now, Ric Flair said:

Glorious

Can you imagine the pain I went through tracking this down for you? 

1. Type London pizza into Google and get 5000 results from London pizza shops

2. When I did manage to track down the actual pizza, it was forums with Londoners raging that they thought northerners think that's what the average cockneys eat! 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

I've deleted my post in case it is misinformed and misleading (I have no expertise).

However, various apparently credible sources do make similar comparisons of symptoms.

Knowing how long it takes to get research into this shape, it makes me wonder how the CDC, WHO etc guidelines are even out. Perhaps all anecdotal or observational evidence from the early cases admitted?

Just Jumped Off the train,sprang into a taxi,my giGirlfriend asked if I could do some shopping,before going to her then she would cook a romantic meal...and then

a nice romantic,cozy evening....

Taxi couldnt,stop outside the shops,but pulled up for me,only 80 meters from my gf-flat.. 

i Dived und stumbled into a store....gobsmacked..!!!!

Shelves,freezers,coolers,split stalls, f**k it..!!!  Totally empty..!! I Rush to the guy, and pretty girl behind the counter....shocked, and exhausted,tears in my eyes!!!

Screaming, "where s all the food,candles,towels,flowers..!!! Totally desperate...

The pretty Girl & Equally bamboozled man,tried to calm me down,und assure  me everything,is alright!!!"  I in turn screamed at him, "are you crazy,fk corona,I am

on the biggest Promise and night of my life...every Bloody single shelf is empty,and your Bloody 'Boots Pharmacie shelf' has not one condom"

But sir..trying hard to reassure me..

'This is a catering equipment & supply house establishment '

The pretty Girl curtley.. " The supermarket is 2 doors away".....

Edited by fuchsntf

3 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Knowing how long it takes to get research into this shape, it makes me wonder how the CDC, WHO etc guidelines are even out. Perhaps all anecdotal or observational evidence from the early cases admitted?

At least some of it seems to be based on research data predominantly from the outbreak in China (see links below). How reliable that is, who knows?

That Covid data is then compared with the known profile of influenza & common cold.

How reliable the research or data is, I've no idea.

https://www.livescience.com/new-coronavirus-compare-with-flu.html

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2762510

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

The ratio of relatively famous or people in power to be infected,to common bod seems to be suspiciously high.Add a couple of noughts on to the total.

I'd say they have more chance of being infected, especially politicians. But they did also say in the presser that theyre working on the assumption that 5-10k are already infected

8 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

I'd say they have more chance of being infected, especially politicians. But they did also say in the presser that theyre working on the assumption that 5-10k are already infected

Yes I take your point politicians get around a bit.Maybe just add the one nought then.

27 minutes ago, Heathrow fox said:

The ratio of relatively famous or people in power to be infected,to common bod seems to be suspiciously high.Add a couple of noughts on to the total.

I was thinking this. The number of famous people I know have got it is about 10-12; the number of people I actually know who have it is 0.

• Like 1

The govt is taking a very cold approach to this. Their measures (or lack of) are aimed at getting many people infected with it in a controlled manner. The hope is we maintain capacity to treat the sickest, whilst building a herd immunity in those that recover, such that the virus will find it hard to spread once enough people develop a natural immunity to it. It's cold because in the early stages of community transmission you accept the inevitable deaths of the frail and already ill for the eventual 'common good'. 

10 minutes ago, Trav Le Bleu said:

I was thinking this. The number of famous people I know have got it is about 10-12; the number of people I actually know who have it is 0.

Yeah I started to get suspicious but I think it's just the combined impact of higher exposure to higher volumes of people and from more varied locations, and better access to testing.

Just want us to lock down now. Seems inevitable so let's just get it out the way.

I was originally very vocal about my scepticism and some of that remains. I still think the threat at an individual level is minor. But I do now appreciate that we're going to have to shut down 'normal service' just to manage the burden on the NHS and the knock on effect to those that will rely on it for the next few months.

Basically yes it's necessary for us to take precautions and to help to stop the spread, but people shouldn't be worried about contracting the virus themselves. It's still highly unlikely.

Edited by Nod.E
  • Like 2

The interview on news night with Graham medley who advises the government on modelling was very good and insightful. definitely recommend watching it

the UK definitely seems like a bit of an outlier in its response (maybe UK thinks there will be a treatment option really soon) which is the most concerning but just got to trust these people for now and as he said behave in a way to stop you transmitting it to others not to stop you getting it yourself. 

1 minute ago, Desabafar said:

The interview on news night with Graham medley who advises the government on modelling was very good and insightful. definitely recommend watching it

the UK definitely seems like a bit of an outlier in its response (maybe UK thinks there will be a treatment option really soon) which is the most concerning but just got to trust these people for now and as he said behave in a way to stop you transmitting it to others not to stop you getting it yourself. 

I get the sense that the conservatives are trying to generate a stiff upper lip culture. 

We're our own island now, why do we need to follow the lead of those scienceless Eurofools.