Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

17 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

There are far more cases than are being reported on. People are calling 111 and being made to wait days for a test.

5 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Not even a slight surprise if we're only testing 1000 people a day. Can imagine the amount of idiots with a common cold ringing up in hysterics. Hell, people rang 999 because their pizza had the wrong toppings ffs. 

Was listening to Radio 5 earlier. There was someone who came back from Tenerife when it broke out there. He got some sort of flu. Phoned up 111 and said he thinks he should be tested. Explained his wife who was away with him works in school and she might spread it.

They wouldn't test him. 

1 minute ago, Guesty said:

Was listening to Radio 5 earlier. There was someone who came back from Tenerife when it broke out there. He got some sort of flu. Phoned up 111 and said he thinks he should be tested. Explained his wife who was away with him works in school and she might spread it.

They wouldn't test him. 

A joke when you hear stories like this 

25 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

There are far more cases than are being reported on. People are calling 111 and being made to wait days for a test.

Person I know rang 111, was told to go to a+e, and was seen within 15 minutes yesterday

Not sure where you're hearing what your hearing from but it's not true

The London Tubes average 5 million people going through them per day. 5 million. It still hasn't been shut. 

Sporting governing bodies are cancelling events or playing them behind closed doors with thousands in attendance. Good logic. 

28 minutes ago, MrSpaM said:

Person I know rang 111, was told to go to a+e, and was seen within 15 minutes yesterday

I mean, it's almost as if the experience of 111 is not wholly consistent throughout the country, and one person's word on using the service isn't gospel.

It might not be as bad as they made out, but not everyone is getting 15 minute A&E treatment?? Weird to just write it off based on one person you know.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, MrSpaM said:

Just because one person was tested quickly doesn't mean the rest are. People have rang 111 and been told to wait for a response, they haven't heard anything back.

This whole situation is madness, I've never seen anything like it (nor have many others I'd imagine). Has there ever been a virus outbreak quite like this within Europe?

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

I rang 111 when my son was ill a couple of years ago as we couldn't get a doctors appointment. Described the symptoms and they just recommended Calpol and plenty of fluid and refused to make an appointment for us to be seen.

Rang again a couple of hours later when his temperature had gone up and he wasn't improving and they reiterated not to go to the hospital and they would call back in an hour to check on him.

Waited an hour and a half with no call back so I called them and they had no record of our calls and the person I said had promised a call back had finished for the day. 

At this point I put the phone down and took him to the hospital where he was rushed into a&e in with pneumonia where he spent the next week.

I cringe every time they advise people to contact 111. It really is a terrible service.

• Sad 1

Guest bss9401

Andrea Leadsom said today that she attended a meeting yesterday with Lords and MP's and they all sat at separate tables, several feet apart. To a later question she argued that cleaners and care workers being paid a pittance should carry on working because it's their duty.

So.

It's fine for plebs to clean up crap and wipe bums but she won't sit next to someone who probably owns half of Somerset.

And we have to trust these people to make best interests decisions?

I think I'd rather trust the care worker for a fair and proactive opinion.

10 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Just because one person was tested quickly doesn't mean the rest are. People have rang 111 and been told to wait for a response, they haven't heard anything back.

This whole situation is madness, I've never seen anything like it (nor have many others I'd imagine). Has there ever been a virus outbreak quite like this within Europe?

That's sh!t from them. I've fortunately had good experiences with 111, i suppose it just depends whose on the other end of the phone.

37 minutes ago, Ashley said:

The London Tubes average 5 million people going through them per day. 5 million. It still hasn't been shut. 

Sporting governing bodies are cancelling events or playing them behind closed doors with thousands in attendance. Good logic. 

Closing the tube in London would have major, major economic consequences, it's absolutely vital.  

At some point it might well happen, but what's your number?  How many people have to have the virus for the tube to be closed? In a city with 9 million people? 10? 20? 100? 500?

I think London alone would have to see a few days of 1000+ new cases before they shut the thing down. 

More likely is that people will be encouraged to work from home, walk or ride a bike, follow a different shift pattern to spread people out rather than the traditional rush hours (although the tube always seems horrendous).

11 minutes ago, bss9401 said:

Andrea Leadsom said today that she attended a meeting yesterday with Lords and MP's and they all sat at separate tables, several feet apart. To a later question she argued that cleaners and care workers being paid a pittance should carry on working because it's their duty.

So.

It's fine for plebs to clean up crap and wipe bums but she won't sit next to someone who probably owns half of Somerset.

And we have to trust these people to make best interests decisions?

I think I'd rather trust the care worker for a fair and proactive opinion.

The cynic might say that they know full well what they are doing and see it as a golden opportunity to reduce the social care and pension bill. Not that I'm a cynic of course...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Yes, the Bubonic plague which some scientists are thinking was an ebola like virus. Wiped out around 50 million Europeans.

1 minute ago, nnfox said:

Closing the tube in London would have major, major economic consequences, it's absolutely vital.  

At some point it might well happen, but what's your number?  How many people have to have the virus for the tube to be closed? In a city with 9 million people? 10? 20? 100? 500?

I think London alone would have to see a few days of 1000+ new cases before they shut the thing down. 

More likely is that people will be encouraged to work from home, walk or ride a bike, follow a different shift pattern to spread people out rather than the traditional rush hours (although the tube always seems horrendous).

I know at least 4 people in London who are currently working from home. 2 of which went in for 8/9am Monday and got sent home straight away.