Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
simFox

Corona Virus

Message added by Mark

No political discussion in this topic. That is complaining about a country, a politician, a party and/or its voters, etc

19 minutes ago, bmt said:

@yorkie1999 my issue was the ‘couple of weeks’ not the ban

As i explained at the time, a couple of weeks gives you time to find out who already has it and therefore be able to contain it because of the time it takes for everyone who has the virus to show symptoms,  as well as control it with people coming into the country.

Anyway found this interesting. There was a flu epidemic in Italy at the beginning of January, could there be a link between the flu vaccine and the spread of corono virus in Italy

https://www.thelocal.it/20200123/flu-outbreak-in-italy-half-a-million-people-struck-down-in-a-week

Edited by yorkie1999

41 minutes ago, bmt said:

Our model of “fighting” this (do nothing) is clearly a political move to reduce the size of the state by killing off the vulnerable. Discuss 

:ph34r:

The brexit voters have done their job now, let’s have the inheritance before it’s worthless.

2 minutes ago, bovril said:

Didn't the government say something along these lines today? 

I think the government want the virus to run it's course so people will become immune naturally as there is no way our nhs could cope with it. 

Just now, yorkie1999 said:

I think the government want the virus to run it's course so people will become immune naturally as there is no way our nhs could cope with it. 

Is there evidence people do become immune? 

I’m glad they were upfront and (seemingly) honest about why they’re making the decisions they are, as other posters have said, no one knows what the best strategy is yet.  Hopefully people being told ‘some of your loved ones may die’ will lead to Coronavirus being taken more seriously.

Schools being open concerns me but I get the reasoning behind it. 

Edited by TheUltimateWinner

3 minutes ago, Raj said:

I've lost thousands in shares.

Takes years to get into profit and then bang!!! All profits gone in days...w@nking virus

Open a spread betting account and start shorting shares. Bit risky but stock market will continue to drop... shorting airline and holiday firms  shares has made me a few quid to make up for the battering my real shares have taken.

Lets see who's right.

All the countries who have moved quickly to shut things down / shut schools etc.  How long can they do that for.......will it work? Their economies will be tanking whilst doing so.

The UK Government (with Scientific / Medical leading the agenda) - Announcing all the latest measures?

All well and good slagging off the UK response now, but if their explanation tonight (which made sense) is correct, most of us will get it anyway, but its about spreading the infections out over time (NHS Impact).

What happens if we shut the schools / shops for 3 weeks now (battering the economy) and it just comes back again, just as strong?  What then?

They made it clear when/if the moment is absolutely right they will do this, but they are trying to avoid a total shut-down.

11 minutes ago, The Syrup said:

Open a spread betting account and start shorting shares. Bit risky but stock market will continue to drop... shorting airline and holiday firms  shares has made me a few quid to make up for the battering my real shares have taken.

Shortings too complicated for me!!!

I feck up enough on trading shares normally, I don't want to feck up on shorting too!!!

26 minutes ago, Raj said:

Takes years to get into profit and then bang!!! All profits gone in days...w@nking virus

I'll be about twenty thousand quid down by tomorrow, I reckon.

I'm fairly sanguine about it as it's going to be 12 years before I can get at it.

Just want to try and time going more aggressive, but who knows if we're anywhere near the bottom of the market yet? It's all gone a bit bonkers

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Raj said:

Shortings too complicated for me!!!

I feck up enough on trading shares normally, I don't want to feck up on shorting too!!!

With the stock market falling out of bed, there's definitely money to be made long term if you have spare cash and can find the bottom. This virus is a short term thing and markets will recover. May take 6 months or a year but it can be done... hopefully. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Syrup said:

With the stock market falling out of bed, there's definitely money to be made long term if you have spare cash and can find the bottom. This virus is a short term thing and markets will recover. May take 6 months or a year but it can be done... hopefully. 

I believe this is probably true, though I must admit I am still bottling out of actually buying anything more at this stage (although I know I probably should). I think you probably just have to have a close look at the fundamentals and avoid companies that don't have a large cash reserve to ride out a storm. I can see a good number of companies going tits up over this, and possibly including some FTSE blue chips.

38 minutes ago, Raj said:

8 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I'm fairly sanguine about it as it's going to be 12 years before I can get at it.

Just want to try and time going more aggressive, but who knows if we're anywhere near the bottom of the market yet? It's all gone a bit bonkers

Don't go there chaps. I can see my retirement villa in Spain disappearing before my eyes :(

@The Syrup

13 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

We've only lost money if we sell

I do get p!seed off but can't worry too much,just long term investor although now I've gotta wait like you years to take any profits.

Everyone somehow will be affected cos of pensions etc....

Edited by Raj
  • Like 1

Just been to do the weekly shop at Beaumont Leys Tesco. No toilet roll, soap, pasta, rice, ice cream and the only baked beans were no added sugar. 

A woman running around complaining she doesn't know where anything is as she always gets it delivered but they've run out of slots.

Proper wierd.