Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
80footgiraffe

Summer 2020 transfer window

4 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

He's a very good player, and 15-20m is a fair price for a player with his talent.

However, we will be playing European football next season so I feel we should be looking to sign players who have been playing at a higher level with experience of European football as that will improve us rather than give us depth. Wouldn't be unhappy to see him arrive here though. Someone from the Premier League will get him if Brentford don't come up and I feel he will be similar to Maupay who went to Brighton who has looked pretty decent in his first season. 

That is how you end up with a Ghezzal instead of a Mahrez.  We will always be the team that has to take a punt on something that has a risk attached. This is a gamble well worth taking imo

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Simoken said:

... its Brentford.

Last time they were in top division was 92/93 season.

The longest spell in top division was between 1935/39.

I stand by my 'big club attitude on this one' If it was Nottingham Forest/Derby etc then i would agree.

They weren't in the top division in 1992/93 ? That season was their 1st season in what is the equivalent of the Championship for 40 years.

• Like 2

Extremely talented player, and his stats back it up. 

Hope we are sniffing him out like reports are suggesting.

Wonder how much the deal depends on Brentford getting promoted or not though?

But if it takes £25 million then just pay it. 

6 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

He's a very good player, and 15-20m is a fair price for a player with his talent.

However, we will be playing European football next season so I feel we should be looking to sign players who have been playing at a higher level with experience of European football as that will improve us rather than give us depth. Wouldn't be unhappy to see him arrive here though. Someone from the Premier League will get him if Brentford don't come up and I feel he will be similar to Maupay who went to Brighton who has looked pretty decent in his first season. 

So who is that player?

You made the point yourself in the Our Wingers thread about all the wide players signed in the PL and their numbers vs Barnes & Perez.  It seems that a ready made wide man that will improve us significantly is as rare as hen's teeth.  I prefer the development route.  Signing the best Championship players who can become top players.  They are generally cheaper than foreign imports and it's a great business model even if some don't make it.  Maddison must have quadrupled his value and I think that you can tell, even at Championship level, standout players that can become top PL players.

32 minutes ago, murphy said:

So who is that player?

You made the point yourself in the Our Wingers thread about all the wide players signed in the PL and their numbers vs Barnes & Perez.  It seems that a ready made wide man that will improve us significantly is as rare as hen's teeth.  I prefer the development route.  Signing the best Championship players who can become top players.  They are generally cheaper than foreign imports and it's a great business model even if some don't make it.  Maddison must have quadrupled his value and I think that you can tell, even at Championship level, standout players that can become top PL players.

2 minutes ago, Haywood_6 said:

He's a striker

A versatile forward, Hwang can play anywhere across the front three and has scored nine goals in 22 appearances this season.

The 23-year-old began his professional career with Salzburg, joining in 2015, and has since played 108 times for the first team - netting 38 goals. 

He is also a South Korean international alongside Son Heung-Min, and has picked up 32 caps since making his debut in 2016.

The forward has caught the eye in the Champions League this season as he starred in an attacking trio with Takumi Minamino and Erling Haaland - with all three finding the net in a 4-3 loss against Liverpool at Anfield.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Yes he looks a good player but I thought you meant an elite player.  I'm not sure he falls into that category yet but I'm sure you know him better than I do.

He plays in the Austrian league and I don't believe that Salzburg often progress through the early stages in the CL.   Is the Austrian league better than the Championship?

I'm not against him at all.  Could be a very good player but it is difficult to tell given the level he plays at.  Is he another Sarr or Pepe who haven't really left their mark in the PL yet?  Or do you think he is significantly better?

I thought that when you said that your preference was for a proven European player a level above Benrahma, I'm not sure that you can say that about Chan.

5 minutes ago, murphy said:

Yes he looks a good player but I thought you meant an elite player.  I'm not sure he falls into that category yet but I'm sure you know him better than I do.

He plays in the Austrian league and I don't believe that Salzburg often progress through the early stages in the CL.   Is the Austrian league better than the Championship?

I'm not against him at all.  Could be a very good player but it is difficult to tell given the level he plays at.  Is he another Sarr or Pepe who haven't really left their mark in the PL yet?  Or do you think he is significantly better?

I thought that when you said that your preference was for a proven European player a level above Benrahma, I'm not sure that you can say that about Chan.

We can't sign an elite player, in fact I don't think Leicester have ever signed an elite player.

Hwang has Champions League and International experience, and his former teammates Haaland and Minamino have already impressed at their new clubs. All three were star turns in the Champions League, which got everyone's attention. The same can't be said of Benrahma, even though he could also turn out to be a very good player. If Spurs hadn't signed him, then Bergwijn would also have fitted the bill - not an elite player but someone who has European and International experience, is young and has potential.

I wouldn't be against Benrahma coming here at all, but young and / or promising players with European experience would be my preference. 

Hwang will transfer to another club in the summer, the question is to whom?

29 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

We can't sign an elite player, in fact I don't think Leicester have ever signed an elite player.

Hwang has Champions League and International experience, and his former teammates Haaland and Minamino have already impressed at their new clubs. All three were star turns in the Champions League, which got everyone's attention. The same can't be said of Benrahma, even though he could also turn out to be a very good player. If Spurs hadn't signed him, then Bergwijn would also have fitted the bill - not an elite player but someone who has European and International experience, is young and has potential.

I wouldn't be against Benrahma coming here at all, but young and / or promising players with European experience would be my preference. 

I thought that was the level that you were alluding to originally, bu yes I agree, hence my personal preference for development of stand out lower league players.

I base this on nothing more than my own feeling but I think that the best young players from the Championship have a better hit rate in the Premier League than those from foreign leagues below elite level.

European experience is nice but Musa, Slim and Silva all had CL experience and there seems to have been a plethora of very average foreign wide players coming into the PL recently which just makes me hesitant about the next player that looks good in an an average foreign league.

Edited by murphy

3 hours ago, Simoken said:

... its Brentford.

Last time they were in top division was 92/93 season.

The longest spell in top division was between 1935/39.

I stand by my 'big club attitude on this one' If it was Nottingham Forest/Derby etc then i would agree.

So when a Man U fan says.........

It's Leicester.

They have only won the league once since the 90's and have been a yo-yo club in that time,  you still happy with that big club attitude? 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

We have already managed to get Tielemans who although isn't elite, is one of the best prospects in Europe in central midfield. I do believe another qualification for the CL and we ought to be able to compete with Dortmund, Roma, Ajax etc for some of the most highly sought young players who want that bridge between their current club and one of the very best. 

Leon Bailey is another we could get like Tielemans, his career has stalled slightly and we'd be the progressive club he'd perhaps take a chance on to propel him back in to the thoughts of the big clubs.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

We have already managed to get Tielemans who although isn't elite, is one of the best prospects in Europe in central midfield. I do believe another qualification for the CL and we ought to be able to compete with Dortmund, Roma, Ajax etc for some of the most highly sought young players who want that bridge between their current club and one of the very best. 

Leon Bailey is another we could get like Tielemans, his career has stalled slightly and we'd be the progressive club he'd perhaps take a chance on to propel him back in to the thoughts of the big clubs.

Yep well said, though I think we have to be honest and say we are not on the same level as Dortmund - they signed players like Haaland and Sancho who we would not be able to get. The players Roma and Ajax get we probably could get, though we would have to pay more to get them no doubt.

Bailey is a good example of the type I would expect us to go for - proven at a higher level of competition. Someone like Dennis Praet, but as a winger if that makes sense... Praet was well thought of and playing for a good but not spectacular team in Serie A. Milan were also in for him though, so somehow we convinced him not to go there! Though I expect the shambles that club is currently in, plus their unwillingness to match the fee we offered made that the case.

Edited by StriderHiryu
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

Yep well said, though I think we have to be honest and say we are not on the same level as Dortmund - they signed players like Haaland and Sancho who we would not be able to get. The players Roma and Ajax get we probably could get, though we would have to pay more to get them no doubt.

Bailey is a good example of the type I would expect us to go for - proven at a higher level of competition. Someone like Dennis Praet, but as a winger if that makes sense... Praet was well thought of and playing for a good but not spectacular team in Serie A. Milan were also in for him though, so somehow we convinced him not to go there! Though I expect the shambles that club is currently in, plus their unwillingness to match the fee we offered made that the case.

I think we could get a Sanchoo as he was when he went there, or Ousmane Dembele when he went there over us after we won the league. We have shown that if you want to play in the Prem and progress, we are the go to club. I hope we take adva stage of how well we've done in this regard.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Haywood_6 said:

He's a striker

6 hours ago, StriderHiryu said:

A versatile forward, Hwang can play anywhere across the front three and has scored nine goals in 22 appearances this season.

The 23-year-old began his professional career with Salzburg, joining in 2015, and has since played 108 times for the first team - netting 38 goals. 

He is also a South Korean international alongside Son Heung-Min, and has picked up 32 caps since making his debut in 2016.

The forward has caught the eye in the Champions League this season as he starred in an attacking trio with Takumi Minamino and Erling Haaland - with all three finding the net in a 4-3 loss against Liverpool at Anfield.

Sign him, play him on the wing and maybe eventually Vardy’s successor?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foxile5 said:

I'd take him

He'd certainly improve the squad. 

Yep solid squad player undoubtedly.

We’ll hopefully be playing 50+ matches next season so we need all the strength in depth we can get hold of.