Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
urban.spaceman

So... Would you welcome Mahrez back?

Mardy Mahrez  

467 members have voted

1. 1. Would you welcome Mahrez back?

20 hours ago, Foxxed said:

Yes sure. He’s mardy and childish. But he’s a world class winger. He’ll score goals. I like goals. I’m not bitter enough to hold a grudge.

You miss the point.

He certainly is.

3 hours ago, Strokes said:

Present your evidence that he did then.....

Pretty sure  Mahrez is one of the few for whom you cannot use the "prove it" defence.

Maybe not at the time, but since leaving, his feelings about this club, the club that allowed him to be great, and in return were given some amazing performances, have been disrespectful.

He w@s f3cking amazing at his best, but that was then.

4 hours ago, shailen said:

Apart from Vardy who has really been loyal to us in recent years. Yes Mahrez kicked and screamed more than others but at the end of the day he wanted out as did Kante, Drinkwater and Maguire. He probably did more for us then any of the above and gave us some unforgettable moments. 

Too many people make decisions emotionally and not logically. If Mahrez wanted to come back he would improve us massively and that imo is the main reason for going for him if we had the chance. Even when he sulked, when he was back in training and games he gave 100% and his performance levels didn't drop. 

.. you really are trying too hard,!

Your selective memory is warping your argument and do you little justice. 

I wonder how many people would hold their hands up and agree with you regarding that statement. 

• Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Simoken said:

I am amazed that a majority of fans would take him back after how disrespectful he was too the club putting on blame for wasting two years of his career and his little bitchy attitude towards the end.

I can look past that, all i care about is how effective a player is on the pitch.  I dont have emotions, no attachments to players, dont hold grudges.  I look at it purely from a performance point of view.

Even a demotivated Mahrez is better than what we have now in that position.  The Mahrez that didnt want to play for us tracked back way more than e.g. Barnes who "loves us" and his forward play speaks for itself.

Edited by Chrysalis

6 hours ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. you really are trying too hard,!

Your selective memory is warping your argument and do you little justice. 

I wonder how many people would hold their hands up and agree with you regarding that statement. 

Well there are more yes votes on this thread than no votes for people to welcome Mahrez back. 

Also I could argue that your selective memory about him throwing his toys out may make you overlook that in his last season he got 12 goals and 10 assists in the Premier league. Take the emotion out of the decision and hopefully you can't argue that he would improve us massively. 

Call me cynical but I've accepted there are no loyalties in football. I want our team to be the best it can be and Mahrez would improve on what we currently have. 

11 hours ago, Chrysalis said:

I can look past that, all i care about is how effective a player is on the pitch.  I dont have emotions, no attachments to players, dont hold grudges.  I look at it purely from a performance point of view.

Even a demotivated Mahrez is better than what we have now in that position.  The Mahrez that didnt want to play for us tracked back way more than e.g. Barnes who "loves us" and his forward play speaks for itself.

What football fan doesn't have emotions? What's the point?

And then your selective memory lets you down. Mahrez was a terrible defender who couldn't be bothered even before he wanted to leave. He didn't even turn up for one match. That's physically not mentally. 

In your mind he may be better than Barnes - though his production in an attacking team of Mancity's ability doesn't really show that but you fail to see the effect that having him back would have on the rest of our team. 

Personally I'm happy with the replacements we got in for his money - especially Maddison whom I'd rather have straight up than Mahrez.

Each to their own but I'd never want the rat back - emotional football supporter that I am.

Maguire left after two seasons. Kanté left after a season.

Mahrez stayed for four seasons: the championship win, the great escape, the league win, the champions league season.

Gave lcfc some of our greatest moments. Filled our coffers with gold. But threw a mardy in airport when he wanted to leave. The monster.

Edited by Foxxed
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, FIF said:

What football fan doesn't have emotions? What's the point?

And then your selective memory lets you down. Mahrez was a terrible defender who couldn't be bothered even before he wanted to leave. He didn't even turn up for one match. That's physically not mentally. 

In your mind he may be better than Barnes - though his production in an attacking team of Mancity's ability doesn't really show that but you fail to see the effect that having him back would have on the rest of our team. 

Personally I'm happy with the replacements we got in for his money - especially Maddison whom I'd rather have straight up than Mahrez.

Each to their own but I'd never want the rat back - emotional football supporter that I am.

He isnt a defender though however he still tracked back more than both Perez and especially Barnes do.  It is funny how much people on here moaned about his tracking back, yet our current wingers track back far less and nothing gets said.

22 minutes ago, Chrysalis said:

He isnt a defender though however he still tracked back more than both Perez and especially Barnes do.  It is funny how much people on here moaned about his tracking back, yet our current wingers track back far less and nothing gets said.

Both Mahrez and Albrighton started from deeper positions as we played a different system then with full backs who sat more rather than now, where it is our FBs who bring the ball out, allowing the wide players to stay further up the pitch rather than having to come and collect it more.

Granted he really was a gifted player but was so frustrating sometimes when it was clear that he was not up for it, or simply went into hiding for large portions of games.

I think i tend to agree with the view that i would probably "have" him back but not "welcome" him unconditionally. For me he would need to prove himself attitude wise again.

Obviously a completely hypothetical situation because it will never happen from either side.

The debate does raise the question though, what other players have we had in the past, whilst obviously decent players that would improve most teams, but you would not have taken back given the chance?  there will always be a certain animosity to any player that leaves but a certain Mr Wise comes to mind

On 18/02/2020 at 13:50, shailen said:

Apart from Vardy who has really been loyal to us in recent years. Yes Mahrez kicked and screamed more than others but at the end of the day he wanted out as did Kante, Drinkwater and Maguire. He probably did more for us then any of the above and gave us some unforgettable moments. 

Too many people make decisions emotionally and not logically. If Mahrez wanted to come back he would improve us massively and that imo is the main reason for going for him if we had the chance. Even when he sulked, when he was back in training and games he gave 100% and his performance levels didn't drop. 

TBH, his last two sesons when he sulked (and wasn't on a strike!;)), which was about every second game, he put a lot of his effort into becoming invisible on the pitch. After 15/16 his form was simply very poor half of the time, too often he had the looks of a prisoner sentenced for a lifetime to work in the quarry not a pro footballer, yet regardless of how bad he was, he was undroppable.

I don't like him as a person and I don't fancy him coming back, but if he did, perhaps I could learn to tolerate him as a player. That would depend on his conduct on and off the pitch though. Say, if he was able to stop being a self-centered primadonna (disappearing on the pitch/from training, sulking, striking, getting late and other unprofessional behaviour) and started working harder for the team (as he does for Man City under Pep) it would be much easier to win me and others over. We could most definitely make use of a player like him. I'm not sure I believe in him changing as a person though.

Besides, would he ever want to go back? I was under impression things started to look up for him at Man City in recent months, so why would he leave. And all his dubious/adverse actions indicated that he was treating Leicester City at best as a stepping stone and at worst as an obstacle on his road to stardom and glory at the bigger clubs like Arsenal or Man City. So it's not difficult to imagine he would treat going back as a step backwards.

No, I don't think we need players of his kind, people who treat the club like that. There are too many fresh fish on the transfer market to wallow in nostalgia for 2015/16 Mahrez, while at the same time holding your nose to avoid the rotten smell of 2016-18 Mahrez.

Edited by Chester Dontlie

22 minutes ago, Chester Dontlie said:

TBH, his last two sesons when he sulked (and wasn't on a strike!;)), which was about every second game, he put a lot of his effort into becoming invisible on the pitch. After 15/16 his form was simply very poor half of the time, too often he had the looks of a prisoner sentenced for a lifetime to work in the quarry not a pro footballer, yet regardless of how bad he was, he was undroppable.

I don't like him as a person and I don't fancy him coming back, but if he did, perhaps I could learn to tolerate him as a player. That would depend on his conduct on and off the pitch though. Say, if he was able to stop being a self-centered primadonna (disappearing on the pitch/from training, sulking, striking, getting late and other unprofessional behaviour) and started working harder for the team (as he does for Man City under Pep) it would be much easier to win me and others over. We could most definitely make use of a player like him. I'm not sure I believe in him changing as a person though.

Besides, would he ever want to go back? I was under impression things started to look up for him at Man City in recent months, so why would he leave. And all his dubious/adverse actions indicated that he was treating Leicester City at best as a stepping stone and at worst as an obstacle on his road to stardom and glory at the bigger clubs like Arsenal or Man City. So it's not difficult to imagine he would treat going back as a step backwards.

No, I don't think we need players of his kind, people who treat the club like that. There are too many fresh fish on the transfer market to wallow in nostalgia for 2015/16 Mahrez, while at the same time holding your nose to avoid the rotten smell of 2016-18 Mahrez.

He sulked in an airport.

On 18/02/2020 at 09:15, Simoken said:

I am amazed that a majority of fans would take him back after how disrespectful he was too the club putting on blame for wasting two years of his career and his little bitchy attitude towards the end.

He was still our best player even when he wasn't happy

• Like 1