Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Eden De Bruyne

Timothy Castagne

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

He's probably our best winger but he'd be wasted there. When you have a player that's so effective in a position it's a waste to play them out of it. 

Even in an attacking sense, so much of his value is that he cuts forward both on the over lap and under lap so effectively that defenders have absolutely no idea what to do with him.

The depth he comes from is what makes him so lethal. He's like a rugby full back countering from deep in the field, the Jason Robinson of football. 

Exactly this. It’s like TAA, he could easily do a job in CM but the actual effect he has from the RB position adds to his value. Riccy is exceptional coming forward, he gets an inch of pace where the LB on the other side is concerned with RW on our side. Playing him RW, he would lose that space. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

He's probably our best winger but he'd be wasted there. When you have a player that's so effective in a position it's a waste to play them out of it. 

Even in an attacking sense, so much of his value is that he cuts forward both on the over lap and under lap so effectively that defenders have absolutely no idea what to do with him.

The depth he comes from is what makes him so lethal. He's like a rugby full back countering from deep in the field, the Jason Robinson of football. 

yeah i agree im not all for moving him up BUT if it did happen i can live with it!  I believe he will shine whether its Right Mid or RIght back! 

30 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Umm, was Ricardo not statistically one of the best defenders in the league last year? 

Never said that. My point was about having more balance in the fullback positions. Ricardo is probably the best fullback we have both defensively and offensively, but his strengths for me are more offensive. And he can't play both positions at once.

I like having the option to bring someone in on the left who is equally good defensively when we need to keep it tight in a game or have someone like Thomas when we're going full throttle. 

5 minutes ago, Bakey said:

I like the look of that fee and then the predicted wages that were mentioned before of about 25K a week make this look like a great bit of business

Mad how far the standards for a 20 mil player have dropped. 20 mil should be getting us top talent not a 3rd choice wingback even if he does turn out to be a solid player.

Edited by honeybradger

2 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Mad how far the standards for a 20 mil player have dropped. 20 mil should be getting us top talent not a 3rd choice wingback even if he does turn out to be a solid player.

£20m is nowhere near enough these days to get you a ready made top talent

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

More TV money equals higher transfers fees, whether it should or not is beside the point. 

6 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Maddison, pereira, soyuncu, ndidi were signed 20 years ago?

All unproven PL players at the time. There was an element of risk with all of those. They weren't the sort of player that clubs in the CL would buy to go straight into their 1st team at the time we bought them. We didn't know they'd turn out to be as good as they are now. I suppose it depends on your definition of 'top talent.' Castagne might turn out to be another one of those.

Edited by Raw Dykes

6 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Maddison, pereira, soyuncu, ndidi were signed 20 years ago?

Maddison was playing in the Championship, Pereira was a bargain so I'll give you that one, Soyuncu was battling relegation with Freiburg (I think?), Ndidi was 19 years old and playing at Genk.

For context Castagne is 24 years old, has just finished 3rd in Serie A, got to the quarter finals of the Champions League and plays for the Belgium national team.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Maddison was playing in the Championship, Pereira was a bargain so I'll give you that one, Soyuncu was battling relegation with Freiburg (I think?), Ndidi was 19 years old and playing at Genk.

For context Castagne is 24 years old, has just finished 3rd in Serie A, got to the quarter finals of the Champions League and plays for the Belgium national team.

Fair enough, i can see why he was that price from atalanta's perspective but for us there should be better value players out there for 20mil.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

£20m is nowhere near enough these days to get you a ready made top talent

For the love of god are we now that entitled that only a certain fee what 40 or 50 million is good enough for LCFC the giants of world football? Grow up lad you need to smell the gravy I’m 63 and been supporting this great club for 55 years when did you decide we were an elite powerhouse 

3 minutes ago, mazarron fox said:

For the love of god are we now that entitled that only a certain fee what 40 or 50 million is good enough for LCFC the giants of world football? Grow up lad you need to smell the gravy I’m 63 and been supporting this great club for 55 years when did you decide we were an elite powerhouse 

What are you on about?

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

Fair enough, i can see why he was that price from atalanta's perspective but for us there should be better value players out there for 20mil.

I would say it would have been good value to get him for £15m up front, so we've paid around £3.5m more than that but as a PL club dealing with a club notorioisly difficult to sign from it's no surprise. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, FOXSE said:

For context..

Yeah but AV aren't skint they just can't attract the players we can. It's not always how well off you are, it's who you can actually attract. 

Man City don't pay crazy money for players in fees, we could afford a lot of the players that they sign, theoretically. Ferran Torres is a good example, we could well end up paying more this summer for a less talented winger. 

But they've got much more pulling power than us. 

• Like 1