Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Eden De Bruyne

Timothy Castagne

Just now, Ricey said:

He’s good and he’s versatile but ultimately I think it’s a struggle if you are right footed but playing left back. It’s fine for a few matches but it makes them a bit easier to defend against.

Could be that Ricardo will get pushed up, but I hope not. Ricardo is a top class full back but an average winger.

I think 3-5-2 is possibly more likely, especially if we do struggle to bring in a left footed RW.

Agreed, especially if your playing against a smart side. 9 times out of 10 your gonna look for the inside pass, which makes it easier to intercept. 

If 3-5-2 is what we decide to go for, I’ll be very disappointed that we’ve not gone for Goosens or Telles tbh. Both would add double digits with regards to goals and assists in that position imo.

1 minute ago, The whole world smiles said:

I have wondered for a while in an age of inverted wingers why do left backs still have to be left footed and right backs right footed? 

Obviously back in the day you wanted your stronger foot on the outside to stop wingers going past you on the outside but these days wingers are more likely to go past you on the inside and into the box. 

A question for one of our more tactically astute posters, @StriderHiryu  maybe? 

Good point 

the biggest defensive task a full back has is preventing the o/s player getting behind you and into the box then cutting the ball back or across your six yard box. Hence a left back needs to have a left foot.  But as the game evolves they need to have a working weaker foot as the o/s player cuts inside. the issue with a full back with a less able ‘strong foot’ is the early cross on the run on the overlap when attacking ......

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

No need for a left winger? Barnes is looking more dangerous week after week imo. Would not be surprised if we don’t get a winger with the way Gray has performed in pre season. 

I think we need a winger. Preferably a right but if a good left one became available and there were no RW players around.... it seems like something we would do. 

I like Barnes but his inconsistency is frustrating at times. I dont think it would be the worst thing in the world to have another option, even if it's someone like Fraser. 

Just now, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Agreed, especially if your playing against a smart side. 9 times out of 10 your gonna look for the inside pass, which makes it easier to intercept. 

If 3-5-2 is what we decide to go for, I’ll be very disappointed that we’ve not gone for Goosens or Telles tbh. Both would add double digits with regards to goals and assists in that position imo.

Maybe we did and either they didn't want to come or we couldn't afford them?

Losing out on the CL means we need to reset some expectations.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

I have wondered for a while in an age of inverted wingers why do left backs still have to be left footed and right backs right footed? 

Obviously back in the day you wanted your stronger foot on the outside to stop wingers going past you on the outside but these days wingers are more likely to go past you on the inside and into the box. 

A question for one of our more tactically astute posters, @StriderHiryu  maybe? 

They don’t have to be but the logic is that your right back and right winger work in a tandem such that the winger cuts inside to make room for the right back to overlap the winger and cross it. If you look at the way Ricardo is used as an example, he uses his right foot predominantly. With the right back surging forwards so much it means more space for your winger who can then cut in and shoot more often. 

It doesn’t have to be setup that way but it’s a trend seen throughout Europe these days. 

• Like 3

Just now, st albans fox said:

Good point 

the biggest defensive task a full back has is preventing the o/s player getting behind you and into the box then cutting the ball back or across your six yard box. Hence a left back needs to have a left foot.  But as the game evolves they need to have a working weaker foot as the o/s player cuts inside. the issue with a full back with a less able ‘strong foot’ is the early cross on the run on the overlap when attacking ......

True I suppose the winger now cuts inside the full back in an attacking sense goes outside and crosses. Not sure how much I'm going to miss Chillwells crosses mind! 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I think we need a winger. Preferably a right but if a good left one became available and there were no RW players around.... it seems like something we would do. 

I like Barnes but his inconsistency is frustrating at times. I dont think it would be the worst thing in the world to have another option, even if it's someone like Fraser. 

He’s going to be inconsistent, he’s still young. But imo, he’s the most dangerous player in our side. There is right wingers available, everyone’s just asking for silly fee’s right now due to finances being so tight. Brooks is available, as is Bailey for around £20/£25m.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

I watched the standard YouTube video. He looks very tidy and mobile. But he was almost entirely at RB for the whole montage. Is he really the no.1 in our  LB search?

Or we are signing him as competition for Ricardo ( to replace Ricardo one day :unsure:?) And we will sign a LB as well, or Justin will play LB? Either way he is not a bad player to add to the team hopefully the rest of the money can be used for a RW of some pedigree.

I think the signing would be a good one because of his versatility. We have a LOT of games this season so an experienced international that can play multiple positions is a shrewd purchase. I’d actually say there would be an argument to sign a dedicated left back and Castagne for depth, though I don’t see that happening. 

Maybe not the most exciting signing but it’s a logical one!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, TommyK said:

Maybe we did and either they didn't want to come or we couldn't afford them?

Losing out on the CL means we need to reset some expectations.

Whilst I agree, we still have a lot of things going our way which should be able to attract players like Goosens or Telles. Opportunity to play in the best league in the world, guaranteed pay rise & Europa league. 

People need to realise, European football as a whole is so attractive to so many players out there. Yes I know it’s not CL but it’s still an attractive option to present. 

9 minutes ago, Lesta2014 said:

We still need to sign one, would leave us only Morgan as back up and any under 23 cbs we have

Personally I believe there is something in the Fofana social media activity. It is so bizarre to randomly start following a club on multiple forms of social media, for no reason at all.

I reckon this will happen.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

They don’t have to be but the logic is that your right back and right winger work in a tandem such that the winger cuts inside to make room for the right back to overlap the winger and cross it. If you look at the way Ricardo is used as an example, he uses his right foot predominantly. With the right back surging forwards so much it means more space for your winger who can then cut in and shoot more often. 

It doesn’t have to be setup that way but it’s a trend seen throughout Europe these days. 

More reason why we need a left footed right winger 😢

8 minutes ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Also Barnes plays as LW and always makes runs inside, so we’d end up with little width on that side.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Or we are signing him as competition for Ricardo ( to replace Ricardo one day :unsure:?) And we will sign a LB as well, or Justin will play LB? Either way he is not a bad player to add to the team hopefully the rest of the money can be used for a RW of some pedigree.

Personally I think Justin will be moved to LB, with JJ and Thomas fighting for the starting spot.

13 minutes ago, Ricey said:

He’s good and he’s versatile but ultimately I think it’s a struggle if you are right footed but playing left back. It’s fine for a few matches but it makes them a bit easier to defend against.

Is it better to have a left footed LB with no right foot or a right footed LB who has an acceptable left foot? :ph34r:

• Haha 1