Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Eden De Bruyne

Timothy Castagne

Very solid player. Technically very good and played a lot at LWB for atalanta. Not sure how much he has actually played left back though. Would be a sensible signing and can fit in all over. Maybe we have gone with a right footer to allow barnes to hug the touchline where he plays best and castagne will attack inside. Or we are aiming for 3atb 

Just now, North Leeds Fox said:

Very solid player. Technically very good and played a lot at LWB for atalanta. Not sure how much he has actually played left back though. Would be a sensible signing and can fit in all over. Maybe we have gone with a right footer to allow barnes to hug the touchline where he plays best and castagne will attack inside. Or we are aiming for 3atb 

Well that’s it, all signs point to 3 at the back.

6 minutes ago, lcfceaves said:

I think he’s played wing back more often for Atalanta ... I get the impression Brendan wants to go 3-5-2 but he’s going to need to sign another centre back for that...

Not if Benkovic is given a chance.

I think the club consider Luke Thomas to be almost ready to be the long term left back here. With Justin and Castagne more than capable of playing LB/LWB as can Fuchs when he returns and not forgetting our best player in Ricardo. I wonder if Castagne is being signed with Ricardo very likely to be the next high value asset moving on next summer for huge money. Makes sense.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

I have wondered for a while in an age of inverted wingers why do left backs still have to be left footed and right backs right footed? 

Obviously back in the day you wanted your stronger foot on the outside to stop wingers going past you on the outside but these days wingers are more likely to go past you on the inside and into the box. 

A question for one of our more tactically astute posters, @StriderHiryu  maybe? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

I think the club consider Luke Thomas to be almost ready to be the long term left back here. With Justin and Castagne more than capable of playing LB/LWB as can Fuchs when he returns and not forgetting our best player in Ricardo. I wonder if Castagne is being signed with Ricardo very likely to be the next high value asset moving on next summer for huge money. Makes sense.

I think that is exactly the case, sadly. There haven’t been any mutterings about Ric signing another contract. 

• Like 1

Might be easier for Ricky coming back off a long injury lay off to play on the wing rather than full back initially. 

If he's played a lot at wing back then I worry about his defensive side in a back 4 but I've rarely seen him play so can't judge that. 

10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Really good player, got a lot of time for this and hopefully got some bunce left to get a CB and RW too.

I find it a very strange signing personally. Not due to the players ability but simply due to his preferred position.

Would not surprise me if we see Justin moved back to left back (position he played at Luton) with JJ and Thomas battling out for the left back spot. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Foxy_Bear said:

I can see us signing this fella and a LW due to the current market and possible playing Ricardo as a RW once fit. 

No need for a left winger? Barnes is looking more dangerous week after week imo. Would not be surprised if we don’t get a winger with the way Gray has performed in pre season. 

He’s good and he’s versatile but ultimately I think it’s a struggle if you are right footed but playing left back. It’s fine for a few matches but it makes them a bit easier to defend against.

Could be that Ricardo will get pushed up, but I hope not. Ricardo is a top class full back but an average winger.

I think 3-5-2 is possibly more likely, especially if we do struggle to bring in a left footed RW.