Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Collymore

Empty Stadium Disadvantage?

1 minute ago, Spudulike said:

Seeing some of the other stadiums I think ours looks a bit tatty with the placing of the seat coverings, banners, flags etc. We seem to be the only ground with a BLM banner (so last year). Think I'd rather just see the seats completely uncovered. 

Our stadium is 'dressed up' very poorly compared to the rest of the league. I have no idea why. No problem with BLM stuff. Awareness is good plus Arsenal still have it and some other clubs too (palace I think)

1 hour ago, Spudulike said:

Seeing some of the other stadiums I think ours looks a bit tatty with the placing of the seat coverings, banners, flags etc. We seem to be the only ground with a BLM banner (so last year). Think I'd rather just see the seats completely uncovered. 

The seats look tatty with the colour fading. I think it could do with a makeover.

6 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

lol

I love the reaction to Zaha's interview around football. Its telling that the Daily Mail were one of the first to run with it. 

The usual easily triggered snowflakes* that hated the kneeling from the get go running around frantically yelling to everyone who'll hear "A BLACK GUY AGREES WITH US, A BLACK GUY AGREES WITH US!" 

Which is funny really, given if you actually read Zaha's comments in full he talks about taking a knee and wear BLM on shirts isn't enough and how more should be done. 

I do think he's right up a point, though. It's become habit, routine, it's not really got much impact its become a bit of a token statement. 

The problem is, I don't think they should just stop it doing it and go back to normal and act like racism's been fixed now either. I don't really have the answers and I don't particularly think Wilfred Zaha does either but I guess I'd rather players keep kneeling until some bright spark does offer a better alternative because I DO think football is a place for social politics, I DO think sport drives change and I DO think it has a responsibility to keep pushing egalitarian values. 

* I'm not meaning to target that accusation specifically at you. It was the reference to the Zaha article that made me laugh not you specifically posting it. 

I thought it was the Snowflakes that favoured 'taking the knee'? 

I can't keep up. 

Ps. I can't remember ever reading the Daily Mail for anything other than football pre-Internet days. Just saw this on the Beeb and whilst he doesn't say BLM is outdated he does think it degrading. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

I thought it was the Snowflakes that favoured 'taking the knee'? 

I can't keep up. 

Ps. I can't remember ever reading the Daily Mail for anything other than football pre-Internet days. Just saw this on the Beeb and whilst he doesn't say BLM is outdated he does think it degrading. 

I think the term "snowflake" is predominantly used by red faced, right wing, bigots to insult the over-sensitive, left wing, libertarian language police. The trouble is that they are often the ones going around being offended by anything - like BLM. 

My personal view is that everything runs its course and becomes diluted. The gesture of clapping the NHS, for example, becomes clinched if it's done every single weak. Imagine if we had a remembrance day fixture every game - it would lose all its impact and become nothing special.

The taking the knee thing, whatever people think of it as a gesture (and I have some reservations), has run its course. It doesn't mean that the fight for equality and awareness stops. Maybe one match a season should be reserved to mark BLM or racial equality. It would be far more powerful in the long run. 

• Thanks 1

On 07/05/2020 at 08:17, Collymore said:

I was thinking this morning that behind close door games must suit teams that are struggling more than teams like ourselves where there is a buzz about the place.

Teams like Newcastle or team that are struggling might have players that dread the match day at home and this could affect the performance. 

Are we going to be disadvantaged more than others if we play in an empty stadium or am I over thinking here?

It can go both ways, I think. 

Take Villa for example. They were absolute horse piss for the whole of last season until project restart kicked in. Is it just coincidence that their fans are notorious for being one of the quickest sets of fans to get on the teams back? Now they don’t have fans on their backs they’re doing well? 

Take Sheffield United as another example. Almost the exact same squad as last seasons team that nearly qualified for Europe. Now they seem to be the leagues cannon fodder and look like being relegated with what will be a miserable points tally. Great backing from their fans throughout the game whether they’re winning or losing, especially at home. 

This is an interesting read: https://www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/story/4312130/premier-leagues-home-edge-has-gone-in-pandemic-era-the-impact-of-fan-less-games-in-england-and-europe

I am not sure we can pinpoint why individual teams are doing better or worse at home without adding our gut feelings into that analysis. For example, West Ham look better at home lately, but I’ve seen other mention of Newcastle in this thread as a team that could benefit, and they’ve not been good at home at all.

It could just be that West Ham and Aston Villa have better home form because they are just simply better teams this season (I’d certainly say so, based on their summer transfer windows).

Until we get more detailed analysis, I think all we can safely say is that there is a trend not just in the Premier League, but across Europe, where the positive effect of home advantage is measurably lower than it was before lockdown.

6 hours ago, Finnegan said:

lol

I love the reaction to Zaha's interview around football. Its telling that the Daily Mail were one of the first to run with it. 

The usual easily triggered snowflakes* that hated the kneeling from the get go running around frantically yelling to everyone who'll hear "A BLACK GUY AGREES WITH US, A BLACK GUY AGREES WITH US!" 

Which is funny really, given if you actually read Zaha's comments in full he talks about taking a knee and wear BLM on shirts isn't enough and how more should be done. 

I do think he's right up a point, though. It's become habit, routine, it's not really got much impact its become a bit of a token statement. 

The problem is, I don't think they should just stop it doing it and go back to normal and act like racism's been fixed now either. I don't really have the answers and I don't particularly think Wilfred Zaha does either but I guess I'd rather players keep kneeling until some bright spark does offer a better alternative because I DO think football is a place for social politics, I DO think sport drives change and I DO think it has a responsibility to keep pushing egalitarian values. 

* I'm not meaning to target that accusation specifically at you. It was the reference to the Zaha article that made me laugh not you specifically posting it. 

I'd imagine the answer is to target racists rather than racism. Like you'd target a murderer not murder? If kneeling was going to solve any problems then we should just simply do much more of it.

At the moment the main problem seems to be with social media, especially as fans aren't actually in the grounds. Maybe some sort of player/fan protest against Twitter etc would be a start, because these divisive racist trolls need locking up.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1399981/Footballer-Lyle-Taylor-news-BLM-Marxist-group-take-the-knee-football-nottingham-latest-VN/amp 

Another player, wanting something to actually be done rather than making gestures.

Edited by Vestan Pance

1 hour ago, Jordan said:

This is an interesting read: https://www.espn.com/soccer/english-premier-league/story/4312130/premier-leagues-home-edge-has-gone-in-pandemic-era-the-impact-of-fan-less-games-in-england-and-europe

I am not sure we can pinpoint why individual teams are doing better or worse at home without adding our gut feelings into that analysis. For example, West Ham look better at home lately, but I’ve seen other mention of Newcastle in this thread as a team that could benefit, and they’ve not been good at home at all.

It could just be that West Ham and Aston Villa have better home form because they are just simply better teams this season (I’d certainly say so, based on their summer transfer windows).

Until we get more detailed analysis, I think all we can safely say is that there is a trend not just in the Premier League, but across Europe, where the positive effect of home advantage is measurably lower than it was before lockdown.

Agree with all of this

The sense of flatness in so many matches has been evident

another thing is the lack of goals in injury time in games. with fans its a common theme, thats dropped off a cliff without fans

I just sense its harder to come from behind without fans, its made the first goal in so many games huge.

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Corky said:

I think we'd benefit from having the fans back in now. I know we have a tendency to sit in silence or complain but we're also switched on enough to know when the team need backing and with the injuries we'd be right behind them.

Yes, I'd like to think that right now, the majority would be supportive.

10 hours ago, TK95 said:

I'm convinced we'd have still got top 4 last season with fans in the ground.

The plastics/gloryhunters will tell you otherwise but matchgoers know what a difference the crowd makes

3 minutes ago, HighPeakFox said:

Yes, I'd like to think that right now, the majority would be supportive.

Fans do make a difference as evidence shows the amount of away wins. You'd expect more home points in a full stadium but not so many away. Our league position is probably therefore about right.