Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Nick

Who do you want Summer 2020

Here is the article from the Telegraph by John Percy - confirms we’re in for Brooks as well as Fofana. 

Brendan Rodgers says selling Ben Chilwell to Chelsea was needed to help Leicester reshape squad

'The money is there and will go back into the squad... There are opportunities now to bring someone else in,' Rodgers said of the £50m sale

By John Percy11 September 2020 • 10:30pm

Brendan Rodgers has admitted that Ben Chilwell’s £50 million sale to Chelsea was required to raise funds for reshaping his Leicester squad.

Chilwell completed a move to Stamford Bridge last month and Rodgers is now weighing up an offer for St-Etienne defender Wesley Fofana with the money.

Leicester’s finances for transfers have taken a hit from the Covid-19 pandemic, with the club owned by duty free giant King Power, while missing out on the Champions League on the final day last season cost them around £40 million.

Rodgers is preparing for the extra demands of the Europa League this season, and also has an interest in Bournemouth's Wales international David Brooks as he bids to bring "invention" to his squad.

Funds will be limited, yet Chilwell’s sale will provide Rodgers with some scope in the transfer window, while fringe players including Islam Slimani, Adrien Silva and Rachid Ghezzal will also be offloaded to make more cash available.

Rodgers said: “Ben has gone to join a great club and was brilliant for me in my time here, and for us the money is there and will go back into the squad.

“There are opportunities now to bring someone else in. We will look to get players who can help us continue to improve. 

“Across the board I think there’s many teams where the possibilities have changed because of the pandemic. There is no denying that the market does change for us.”

Rodgers signed Atalanta defender Timothy Castagne last week and is hopeful of agreeing a deal with St-Etienne for centre-half Fofana, 19, ahead of next weekend.

Brooks, the attacking midfielder, is another key target but a move is being held up by the Championship club's valuation.

At this stage Leicester would have to break their transfer record, which was smashed last season with the £32 million capture of Youri Tielemans, to sign Brooks, 23, with the price believed to be well over that amount.

Though Rodgers has a number of wingers already at the club, including Ayoze Perez, Harvey Barnes, Demarai Gray and Marc Albrighton, the Leicester manager frequently demanded more goals and assists last season.

Leicester finished fifth in the Premier League in 2019/20 and begin their campaign at West Brom on Sunday.

James Maddison is set to be included in the squad after surgery on his hip at the end of last season.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Nick said:

Crystal Palace manager Roy Hodgson says he is surprised there are no clubs "knocking on the door" with official approaches for Ivory Coast winger Wilfried Zaha, 27. (Standard)

Come on Leicester - smash that door in.

Not sure I’d take him especially for 80 millions or whatever stupid fee they are asking for. 30 max for me. He’s not that good and has is not young.

Palace priced him out of a move when he was doing ok and he’s got worse since then. With the numbers and how disinterested he’s looked the past couple of seasons he’ll be lucky to get around £20m but they’ll never sell for that.

55 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

we cannot afford him sadly?

Dunno but anything less than 40million would in my humble opinion be good business and sort us right out on a number of levels. He's had a cracking pre-season as well.

2 hours ago, ALC Fox said:

Does anyone think Marcus Edwards at Vitória Guimarães is worth a punt as a slightly cheaper option to put some pressure on the likes of Gray and Barnes in the wide positions?

He supposedly has a £15m release clause. If its between him or Adam Ounas then I'd go for Edwards based on his last season and Ounas injury issues. If Ounas stays fit it is quite likely he would be a huge success but Edwards ceiling of how good he could get to is also quite high. If we are juggling things then £15m for him and £25-30m for a defender and we are about there in the basic squad improvement we needed.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Moose said:

Chelsea want to loan out Hudson-Odoi, we should be all over that and play him on the right.

Get CHO on loan and Ric’s lodger in, they can rotate/provide good cover to the right wing/side for peanuts.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

Not a left footed right winger but if we moved Gray on i'd go after Reiss Nelson. I think he still has a huge future but needs out of Arsenal and get more of an important role at a club.

Done relatively well in Germany too. Surprised no one has picked him up yet in all honesty.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, richardsfoxes said:

To be honest, i completely share Brendans frustration he would of been promised investment and it hasn't been done. We're 1 day before our first game of the season with 1 player signed, this on the back of our 2nd best ever season.

...he knew when he signed, the funds that will be available and the clubs projected finances!!!

We are going through a strange period but he is laying down the foundations for any upcoming failure. We have been slow in the transfer market and it is frustrating but he seems to be apportioning blame all round.

• Like 1

I wonder if Zaha's goal will tempt a few clubs into having a nibble as we inch closer towards deadline day. It could be a signifier of things to come, i.e. that he might be about to have one of his good seasons.

It was a pretty simple finish to be fair, though, and he had a lot of time to settle and pick his spot. You've still got to put it away though and when he's in an ebullient mood, he'd be a real asset for a lot of clubs. The only stumbling block would be the price Palace would want for him, of course.

Another player I'd take a chance on after being completely mustard for about 6 months and then tailing off is Brais Mendez. Celta Vigo are dog mess and we could tempt them with a loan to buy gigginz. Fits that winger/attacking midfielder technician that Rodgers loves.