Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
davieG

The Worst Leicester City XI of the Premier League Era

No way Ricardo should be on there when you had the likes of Kevin Pressman. Both good keepers at one point but clearly past their best here, though didn't agree with the hate for Ricardo (though understand the viewpoint)

As for Akinbiyi, you can't ignore the context. Brought into replace one of our best players, in a team that was top half and in a position to kick on (that short time of Collymore and Heskey probably left us pretty close to be a very good team). He was the big signing when we finally had a bit of money and it all turned to shvt. Whilst you can say that is unfair to have in pinned against him, the fact we spent £5.5m at that time and he never came close to returning on that investment is the problem. That was a fair investment for anyone at that time. Probably equivalent to a team like Burnley spending £30m/£40m on a player nowadays. You can't be content with barely double figures for that sort of money. Even then, his second season was awful, even by the standards of that team. Maybe not in a worst 11 (though obviously you kind of have to pick from players who at least played 10+ games), but definitely in a worst signings 11.

9 hours ago, Corky said:

Pearson ditching Mills for Morgan was a blinding piece of business. A fifth of the cost for a player who captained league winning teams, scored in Champions League knockout games and still playing Premier League football at the age of 36, replacing a bloke who is now in League Two.

My captain

I think context is important, so if someone cost £5 million and was a flop here, they’re more worthy of a spot than some journeyman we brought in for £150 and a bag of Walkers, you’d be expecting much more from the former than the latter. I understand it’s not their fault they command what fee they’re sold for but the expectation is there nonetheless.

That said, Akinbiyi is a harsh one, especially when for the league we were in and inflation, Beckford was just as ‘expensive’ if not more so and not only offered nothing but had an attitude that stunk out the place. “Weak men feel pressure” will never leave me as it shows how Pearson ultimately saved us from a sinking ship not once from twice. With our expenditure, FFP round the corner and a rotten core in the dressing room we were in a lot more trouble when he turned up than I think we allow ourselves to realise.

14 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Absolutely criminal that Lee Marshall isn't in that team. Not only was he a shocking footballer but his attitude was almost as bad as his ability. He's probably the first name I think of.

I’ve always said along with Junior Lewis that Lee Marshall was the worst I’ve seen. He didn’t even run like a footballer, it was like someone had won a raffle prize to turn out for LCFC. 

22 hours ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Harsh to crack Moreno in at centre half - bad as he was there, it wasn't his natural position.

How many times did he actually play? Can’t have been many. 

On 13/05/2020 at 19:05, wokinghamfox said:

Am i missing something but most of these didnt appear in the Prem for us. !?

Premier League era, you know, when football started.

We didn't necessarily have to be in the EPL.

Guest bss9401

Crazy to think that had Akinbiyi put half of those chances away we could have finished in the top 6 (confidence and momentum applied). 

Also crazy that we've had a worse goalie than Rab 'the bat' Douglas.

The problem with articles like this is that you have to write stuff rather than make the worst team. So they try to mix it up too much so they have different things to talk about. When in reality, probably every player in this XI should come from the 2004-2008 rock bottom era.

Edited by Sampson
  • Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 13/05/2020 at 19:12, Paddy. said:

Peter Canero made my eyes hurt. In fact all those players Levein brought in were ****ing rubbish: Rab C Douglas, Canero, Hammill, Sylla, Hughes, De Vries*. That was a truly shit time to be a foxes fan. Watching Levein's side gave my migraines as did his post match interviews. Made Claude Puel look like Jurgen Klopp.

* he scored that goal against spurs but he was shite 

Canero was Adam’s wasn’t he? He was absolutely dreadful….. that period between Adam’s and Pearson is the worst football I’ve ever seen at the club. It was season after season of dreadful football.