Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

21 minutes ago, Line-X said:

I would contend that Boeing are simply too big to be "finished" and have their fingers in many (apple) pies and there remains substantial vested interests and lobbying over defence contracts in Washington. We await to see the stance that the Biden administration will take upon public funding of the space programme but as this has always involved private tender - and increasingly so, Boeing will continue to be major players, To reiterate, this aircraft was 26 years old and we have yet to establish the cause. To simply exclaim on the back of this tragedy "that's Boeing finished right there" is as hyperbolic and reactionary as it is speculative and actually, in comparison, your misconception over the transponder data was not necessarily the "naive" observation. 

I had a quick Google and I thought there'd be more news surrounding what I said and I couldn't find anything so perhaps you're right. 

Edited by Collymore

16 minutes ago, Collymore said:

I had a quick Google and I thought there'd be more news surrounding what I said and I couldn't find anything so perhaps you're right. 

I may not be - no business irrespective of how globally huge is impregnable to negative market forces or P/R disasters. Following the second loss of a 737 max aircraft within five moths, the downing of a 737-800 in Iran a year ago (which remember was shot down), nonetheless saw their shares tank as much as 2.3% in a single day of trading, wiping out roughly $4.3 billion in market value.. The 737 Max continues to be grounded and the current slump in the global commercial aviation sector will have hit them hard. However, I would suggest that it is premature and inaccurate to suggest that Boeing are "finished" based upon an accident involving a 26 year old aircraft which may well involve partial or full culpability of the operators or alternatively, pilot error. 

• Like 1

Blimey, this is taking sibling rivalry a bit far.....

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/megalodon-megatooth-shark-eggs-size-b1785062.html

"Giant megatooth sharks – among the largest predators ever to exist on Earth – grew so large by feeding on the unhatched eggs of their siblings in the womb, new research suggests.

Also known as Megalodons, the now-extinct carnivores dominated the oceans 15 million to 3.6 million years ago, growing up to 50 feet (15 metres) in length".

7 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

There was still no need for them either lol

Does it really matter? :dunno:

Am sure some others would understand my point I was trying to make initially.

Hypercritical etc springs to mind..

13 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Does it really matter? :dunno:

Am sure some others would understand my point I was trying to make initially.

Hypercritical etc springs to mind..

No, it doesn't bother me, but its good for you to know how to use inverted commas properly surely?

24 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

No, it doesn't bother me, but its good for you to know how to use inverted commas properly surely?

It'd be good for me when I'm not personally being on the tail-end of your usual egoistical and unwarranted comments..:thumbup:

Don't judge a book by its cover etc.

4 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Inverted commas can be used around single words, when quoting a term someone else has used. This is used to place emphasis on a word the author doesn’t agree with, this is exactly what @Wymsey has done here. 
It is something that is often used incorrectly, with many humorous examples, but in this case I don’t think they are used incorrectly.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Inverted commas can be used around single words, when quoting a term someone else has used. This is used to place emphasis on a word the author doesn’t agree with, this is exactly what @Wymsey has done here. 
It is something that is often used incorrectly, with many humorous examples, but in this case I don’t think they are used incorrectly.

Why wouldn't you agree with the word finding? Did they not find it? Did they put it there themselves? 

9 hours ago, Aus Fox said:

Thanks for the support on this, Aus Fox. :D

I used the inverted commas around this particular word in my original post, because this word was mentioned in the article link in that post; and don't personally particularly agree with it being seen as a 'finding', because it's just a past history that's always been at that site.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

Thanks for the support on this, Aus Fox. :D

I used the inverted commas around this particular word in my original post, because this word was mentioned in the article link in that post; and don't personally particularly agree with it being seen as a 'finding', because it's just a past history that's always been at that site.

Ok now I'm curious.  Have you always used the phrase "past history"?  Because facecloth is right that it's more than a little bit redundant to specify that history took place in the past.

But the plot thickens because I've searched the article and the only instance of the word "finding" is used to describe the "findings" of a 3D scan they did of the place, so not only does your use of the air quotes not make sense, your explanation for using them doesn't make sense either! lol   This is turning into a proper saga

• Haha 3

21 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Ok now I'm curious.  Have you always used the phrase "past history"?  Because facecloth is right that it's more than a little bit redundant to specify that history took place in the past.

But the plot thickens because I've searched the article and the only instance of the word "finding" is used to describe the "findings" of a 3D scan they did of the place, so not only does your use of the air quotes not make sense, your explanation for using them doesn't make sense either! lol   This is turning into a proper saga

It doesn't really bother me, but old wymesy uses the inverted commas all the time, around words that really don't need it. I've never mentioned it, nor have I brought up his at times odd wording, but i couldn't resist this time and as he got a bit narky with me and referenced the inverted commas I thought I would mentioned they were not needed in this situation. The explanation as you say makes it even more baffling. I don't have a problem with the guy in general, but I do find if I ever question his opinion on anything he starts having a go at me and calling me names. I made an error on here the other day when making a joke and it was pointed out and I just laughed about my stupidity, for some reason Wymesy feels the need to attack people when they do the same.

Also of course you find history. Just because its always been there you can find it. You can find a train station if you weren't aware of its location previously. So that explanation doesn't wash either lol

Edited by Facecloth

If you think being called egoistical (tbh, you do come across as holier than though to myself and certain other posters at times; like to correct them and question them etc) and being mentioned that you occasionally make unwarranted comments (particularly the one you posted yesterday, which I reported as personally disrespectful and it got rightfully deleted) is 'attacking' you - then I seriously apologise; but it's hardly bad name-calling, is it..:huh:

Yes, I did get a bit narky; but who wouldn't after you posted this: 

There was still no need for them either lol

It did feel at this stage that you have having a little bite at me personally, hence the two words.

I'm glad that you don't have a problem with me, the same way that I don't have any with you (actually, personally find that most of a good majority of your posts in other threads on this forum are good arguments/points).

Am sure if others felt I was attacking them, surely would've reported me at the time?

(Yes, I can be perceived as getting a bit touchy, depending on the moment - but am certainly not the only one who has those moments; and it's (believe it or not) seriously not my intention to intimidate others.

Edited by Wymsey

15 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Well I’m glad that’s all sorted then. Perhaps someone has some news.

Thankfully so.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-55628294

They've found the Flight Data Recorder of the flight that went down at the weekend. Not found the Cockpit Voice Recorder yet, but this will give a very good idea of what might have happened.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Nuns and the Catholic Church being ****ing evil again. 

Survivors groups aren’t happy with the report.

Organised religion being horrendously horrible in almost binary opposition to its teaching shock. 

• Like 1

Mrs CF advised me as she read the paper that Fergie is bringing a book out ....   what could it be called I wonder ...

My life with an arrogant paedophile ..    or

Bringing up the most spoilt kids in England ...  or

Toe sucking (Part 1). ....   or maybe

Book writing ! ...   The answer to lockdown boredom when one can't go skiing ! ...   :)