Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

12 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I would move the list round based on my opinions for sure, but then humour is subjective. This is based on just asking people opinions, they've recorded data. I mean it's not perfect, it all depends what bits they've shown the participants of the study, but I still thought it was interesting.

I'd move Gilbert, Acaster, Gervais, Bridges up and Millican, Izzard, Kay, Kumar, Whitehall, Allen, and Bailey down. I don't mind Gamble, but maybe not top 5. Also a few that don't even get in the top 20 would for me. Stewart Lee, Jon Richardson, Sean Lock, Rob Beckett, and I might even include Jo Brand.

Yeah Millican, Kumar, Allen wouldn't get in my list.

Richardson, Beckett and Micky Flanagan would get in instead.

2 hours ago, Facecloth said:

You're a joke mate, genuinely one of the densest poster on here when it comes to politics lol

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

I wondered how long it would take before you brought out the "anyone who doesn't agree with me is dense" card. Bravo.  Make sure you put it back in your wallet for next time, next to the "prejudging a news platform before it is even launched card" you got free in the Guardian.  :clap:

The classic 'left' trait of abusing people who think differently to them.

Can never understand why they struggle so often in General Elections.... 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Never thought I'd hear someone channeling Marjorie Taylor Greene on here.

4 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Top 20 British comics, according to science. I amazed who's at number 5

https://www.chortle.co.uk/news/2021/02/04/47771/jimmy_carr_is_the_funniest_british_comedian%2C_says_science

543668944_Screenshot_20210204-203937_SamsungInternet.thumb.jpg.6826c56384d11b58fef6f1373541f23f.jpg

Is this REAL?

Surely not... "laugh per minute"... cant wait until we judge the ten greatest works of art, based on layers of paint and length of time spent looking at it

3 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Unfortunately human beings have it in their nature to get short when they're not getting anywhere. What options remain when the other side of the conversation is beyond reasoning?

Before you employ that line again, perhaps consider how this reflects on the right.

In other news, I abused Arsenal for how awful they were earlier this season. Because they were.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

9 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

Have no fear, GB News is coming, I have great faith that a Brexit supporting conservative may once again find themselves on TV to give their views.  Just because it has barely happened in the past 5 years doesn't make it impossible!  Don't worry you can stay in your echo chamber!

You see this was the first real insult of the exchange, telling me I live in an echo chamber, after he had already insulted Nish Kumar (sort of). Is it any wonder the "left" can't win an election when the "right" are so ready to ignore facts.....

Edited by Facecloth
  • Haha 1

17 hours ago, Facecloth said:

Funnier and more politically aware than you'll ever be lol

8 hours ago, Facecloth said:

You see this was the first real insult of the exchange, telling me I live in an echo chamber, after he had already insulted Nish Kumar (sort of). Is it any wonder the "left" can't win an election when the "right" are so ready to ignore facts.....

You insulted him first. Stop gaslighting...

I find Nish Kumar far too on the nose, I guess it’s the same with most media that has mainstream appeal, you make things too layered or nuanced it’s not going to come across well with a larger audience that are settling down on a Friday evening. It comes across as the epitome of ‘orange man bad’ comedy. 

In terms of that more politically edged comedians I’ve always enjoyed Stewart Lee more. 

10 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

I find Nish Kumar far too on the nose, I guess it’s the same with most media that has mainstream appeal, you make things too layered or nuanced it’s not going to come across well with a larger audience that are settling down on a Friday evening. It comes across as the epitome of ‘orange man bad’ comedy. 

In terms of that more politically edged comedians I’ve always enjoyed Stewart Lee more. 

I have very mixed feelings on Stewart Lee, but that's probably down to being a big Richard Herring fan.

Used to love his stuff on the Comedy Vehicle (think that's what it was called, on BBC?) but I don't particularly like how he used to dig other comics out all the time, seemingly for his own ego boost.

In terms of political comedy in general, I don't think many of them are particularly extreme left. In respect of the comics I watch/listen to, I get the impression that John Robins, Elis James James Acaster and the like are more Blairite than anything, but they'll still get stick from the kind of people that want Jim Davidson and Chubby Brown back on mainstream TV. Even the likes of Richard Osman come across as fairly central politically based on the odd tweet/comment on podcasts etc. 

Ultimately it's easier to create comedy against the establishment than in favour of it. If Labour ever do manage to get back in power (which feels almost impossible at the moment) I'm sure there will be an increase in voices like Geoff Norcott. However, if 'the right' are relying on Jim Davidson and that bald bloke from the 90s (not you @UpTheLeagueFox :ph34r:)  to fight their corner then I think they may be waiting a long time. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

I have very mixed feelings on Stewart Lee, but that's probably down to being a big Richard Herring fan.

Used to love his stuff on the Comedy Vehicle (think that's what it was called, on BBC?) but I don't particularly like how he used to dig other comics out all the time, seemingly for his own ego boost

think that’s part of his act, there are clearly certain comedians he has issues with (one of his routines included reading an excerpt of Lee Mack’s autobiography that basically calls him a stuck-up Oxbridge snob) but I think the vast majority of it is meta-commentary, seeing as one of the more famous aspects of his routines is usually riffing on how the audience isn’t laughing at bits they should or aren’t smart enough to understand the greater narrative in a set, most the time it comes across to me as character-work as part of playing the bitter, semi-famous comedian who’s past his prime. 

That being said, I absolutely wouldn’t surprise me if he really was down-his-nose and a bit of an arse either lol  

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

think that’s part of his act, there are clearly certain comedians he has issues with (one of his routines included reading an excerpt of Lee Mack’s autobiography that basically calls him a stuck-up Oxbridge snob) but I think the vast majority of it is meta-commentary, seeing as one of the more famous aspects of his routines is usually riffing on how the audience isn’t laughing at bits they should or aren’t smart enough to understand the greater narrative in a set, most the time it comes across to me as character-work as part of playing the bitter, semi-famous comedian who’s past his prime. 

That being said, I absolutely wouldn’t surprise me if he really was down-his-nose and a bit of an arse either lol  

Oh, yeah, there's certainly an element of that. It's not so much mocking the more established comedians, but some of the stuff he's put out there about the young and inexperienced ones. One of those comics where you have to take the rough with the smooth though I guess! 

Must be one of the few comics that has maintained a good reputation for 20 odd years too, which is no mean feat in recent times. 

• Like 1