Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

3 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Today is, I believe, the only day this year when the day, date and month all start with the same letter of the alphabet.

Well said Stringy ...  excellent post.

And if some others don’t behave I may have to show them a red card ..  after all this is my thread ...  see it’s got my name by it and a lovely picture of one of mi pups when she was young ...   so watch it !!!

16 minutes ago, David Guiza said:

Oh, yeah, there's certainly an element of that. It's not so much mocking the more established comedians, but some of the stuff he's put out there about the young and inexperienced ones. One of those comics where you have to take the rough with the smooth though I guess! 

Must be one of the few comics that has maintained a good reputation for 20 odd years too, which is no mean feat in recent times. 

I'm quite fond of Stewart Lee, if only for the fact that he's one of the few people out there who are willing to upset the status quo. 

Modern comedy, especially on TV, tends to be stultifyingly cosy and safe. A seemingly endless round of panel shows etc with the same few faces spouting the predictably adolescent crap that is spoon-fed to the masses on a conveyer belt of mediocrity. 

Lenny Bruce it ain't. 

Stewart Lee is maybe slightly too up himself for comfort, but at least he sees the problem. 

• Like 3

The last two pages are an example of the shambles that our society has become... personal attacks and missing the point.

The fact that we are discussing a measure of comedy being "Laughs per Minute"...  is ludicrous. The fact that people are having a go at others about a ridiculous measurement that was written and published simply for money raising clickbait.

Comedy is art... art is subjective. 

No-one has to be right about art.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 05/02/2021 at 17:30, Nalis said:

Nish Kumar is the type of comedian who would claim people dont like him because they're offended by his political views when in reality, the reason most people dont like him is because he isnt funny whatsoever.

Has he ever actually said anything along those lines?  I don't find him that funny but I've always got the impression he's a fairly level headed person so this would surprise me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

Has he ever actually said anything along those lines?  I don't find him that funny but I've always got the impression he's a fairly level headed person so this would surprise me.

Certain Guardian interviews with him and tweets he has made in the past insinuate this. To be honest I dont mind him or his views, so maybe he should have been a political commentator rather than attempting to be a comedian like the brilliant Stewart Lee.

Facebook have blocked the sharing of news on their platform in Australia in response to the government introducing legislation forcing them and other big tech companies to pay for original news content. It appears to have also blocked government and other public information services (like the Bureau of Meteorology) apparently as collateral damage.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-56099523

I don’t personally use Facebook, but obviously this affects people who do. I find myself rather conflicted. On the one hand I do think that these companies, like Facebook, Google, etc have become much too big and powerful. They are also purveyors of misinformation and disinformation, and need to be cut down to size. It is also unfortunate that genuine, well researched journalism is getting squeezed out by online garbage.

Nevertheless, I can’t help feeling that this current legislation is actually our conservative government giving a kickback to its Murdoch media pals, who are themselves purveyors of disinformation here in Aus, probably the biggest (see Sky News Australia in the evenings).

Edited by WigstonWanderer
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Facebook have blocked the sharing of news on their platform in Australia in response to the government introducing legislation forcing them and other big tech companies to pay for original news content. It appears to have also blocked government and other public information services (like the Bureau of Meteorology) apparently as collateral damage.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-australia-56099523

I don’t personally use Facebook, but obviously this affects people who do. I find myself rather conflicted. On the one hand I do think that these companies, like Facebook, Google, etc have become much too big and powerful. They are also purveyors of misinformation and disinformation, and need to be cut down to size. It is also unfortunate that genuine, well researched journalism is getting squeezed out by online garbage.

Nevertheless, I can’t help feeling that this current legislation is actually our conservative government giving a kickback to its Murdoch media pals, who are themselves purveyors of disinformation here in Aus, probably the biggest (see Sky News Australia in the evenings).

It is pretty shocking behaviour.  I don't see why Facebook should get to benefit from advertising revenues built on other people's original content without paying for it.  Seems Google agree as they have already signed on the dotted line with the 3 main news providers.  I think people need to get off the fence and see that while on the face of it censorship and bullying by these companies is great (funny even!) when the other side are taking the hit, this impacts everyone, and no doubt leaves a massive black hole for the non mainstream nonsense / fake news which is definitely worse.

I still think these platforms should be subject to the laws in the countries they operate in, and this bullying behaviour should be called out for what it is.  Not all that often I have something nice to say about Scott Morrison, but i think he is right here.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

It is pretty shocking behaviour.  I don't see why Facebook should get to benefit from advertising revenues built on other people's original content without paying for it.  Seems Google agree as they have already signed on the dotted line with the 3 main news providers.  I think people need to get off the fence and see that while on the face of it censorship and bullying by these companies is great (funny even!) when the other side are taking the hit, this impacts everyone, and no doubt leaves a massive black hole for the non mainstream nonsense / fake news which is definitely worse.

I still think these platforms should be subject to the laws in the countries they operate in, and this bullying behaviour should be called out for what it is.  Not all that often I have something nice to say about Scott Morrison, but i think he is right here.

As much as I agree that leaving a vacuum for the YouTube "experts" and their sometimes horrific ideas is really not a good outcome from all this, truth is that what the Murdoch media does, around the world, already affects everyone. Attitudes towards climate change being a key example there.

That being said, I'm thinking the ideal solution would be some kind of equilibrium where no one entity - whether governmental or corporate - has so much power in terms of information access and distribution.

2 hours ago, leicsmac said:

As much as I agree that leaving a vacuum for the YouTube "experts" and their sometimes horrific ideas is really not a good outcome from all this, truth is that what the Murdoch media does, around the world, already affects everyone. Attitudes towards climate change being a key example there.

That being said, I'm thinking the ideal solution would be some kind of equilibrium where no one entity - whether governmental or corporate - has so much power in terms of information access and distribution.

Handing the power from Murdoch, regulated in most countries as to what they can say,  to Facebook, regulated by no one, is a shitstorm.

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

Handing the power from Murdoch, regulated in most countries as to what they can say,  to Facebook, regulated by no one, is a shitstorm.

I'm sure Paul Dacre will sort it all out when they put him in charge of OFCOM, as seems to be a distinct possibility.

Do you think Murdoch is regulated in this country? I mean, we have IPSO, but that's got the authority of a cream horn

2 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I'm sure Paul Dacre will sort it all out when they put him in charge of OFCOM, as seems to be a distinct possibility.

Do you think Murdoch is regulated in this country? I mean, we have IPSO, but that's got the authority of a cream horn

Yes all our media is pretty well regulated. We don’t an won’t have a Fox News style outlet.