Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

1 hour ago, Jon the Hat said:

You are right they are not the same issue.  One is the authorities who are paid to protect our Children failing to do so in a truly appalling way, and the other is a minority of racist twats (including in the media) that only other racist twats really believe spouting bollocks about all Muslims etc based on a very small group of criminal arseholes.

I’m not going to undersell the failings in Rotherham and other places, I agree with you on the magnitude of how badly it was mismanaged and how destructive it was on children’s lives and trust in our institutions,

However, the minority of racists have become extremely influential (as you pointed out, there’s a media presence as well) to the point where far right terror has gone from a relative unknown to becoming a not-so-distant second to Islamist terror. 

We have to be extremely careful with both in case we start seeing Sectarian violence not dissimilar to the Troubles on this side of the Irish Channel.

1 hour ago, Carl the Llama said:

Navalny tricked one of Putin's agents into revealing how he was poisoned.  This could have big ripples.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55395683

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/12/21/europe/russia-navalny-poisoning-underpants-ward/

Another bit of great investigative journalism by Leicester's finest, Bellingcat. 

Spanish hunters have apparently killed over 500 deer and wild boar in an enclosed area of central Portugal. The pictures of the huge number of dead wild animals are truly appalling, and this strengthens my belief that those who indulge in that sort of 'sport' are sick in the head.

Edited by String fellow
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Spanish hunters have apparently killed over 500 deer and wild boar in an enclosed area of central Portugal. The pictures of the huge number of dead wild animals are truly appalling, and this strengthens my belief that those who indulge in that sort of 'sport' are sick in the head.

Do you eat meat?

Hopefully my fellow Bedford(shire) foxes are all staying safe and well given the recent flooding.  

Lots more rain tonight by the looks of things.

16 hours ago, ttfn said:

Hopefully my fellow Bedford(shire) foxes are all staying safe and well given the recent flooding.  

Lots more rain tonight by the looks of things.

Seen a lot of pictures of it locally. Looks terrible but luckily didn't reach the level of floods of 1998 level if you remember that? Had potential to give how quickly the levels rose but good job they didn't. 

Storm overnight was the worst of it following the floods I reckon. It's started to recede already. 

Some snow and colder temps forecast in next couple of days I think.

Whereabouts are you in Bedford(shire)? Hopefully you and your family didn't have to evacuate! 

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

Seen a lot of pictures of it locally. Looks terrible but luckily didn't reach the level of floods of 1998 level if you remember that? Had potential to give how quickly the levels rose but good job they didn't. 

Storm overnight was the worst of it following the floods I reckon. It's started to recede already. 

Some snow and colder temps forecast in next couple of days I think.

Whereabouts are you in Bedford(shire)? Hopefully you and your family didn't have to evacuate! 

I’m in the town, just up from the river. 

Actually down on the Embankment isn’t too bad, the path by the river is flooded as is the path between the two branches of the river where the school boathouses are. Worth having a look if you’re out and about!

Sounds like the villages further north had the worst of it - thankfully nobody has had to evacuate where I am...

35 minutes ago, ttfn said:

I’m in the town, just up from the river. 

Actually down on the Embankment isn’t too bad, the path by the river is flooded as is the path between the two branches of the river where the school boathouses are. Worth having a look if you’re out and about!

Sounds like the villages further north had the worst of it - thankfully nobody has had to evacuate where I am...

Ah okay, yeah I heard the embankment looks much better now which is good so soon from last night. Kempston and Clapham seem to have got hit the worst. 

I didn't realise this but apparently flood gates opening at River Nene affected why Great Ouse flooded yesterday. Thankfully the flood protection of Great Ouse appears to have prevented much further damage for any more people! 

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Buce said:

@Mike Oxlong immortalised on children's tv:

Denmark launches children's TV show about man with giant penis

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/jan/06/john-dillermand-denmark-launches-childrens-tv-show-man-giant-penis

FFS I told them I didn’t want my life story being made into a kids cartoon. Ahhh well it’s all out there now...

1 hour ago, urban.spaceman said:

Riiiiiiiiight. 

It’s incredible how the human race repeatedly lets or are helpless to genocides while they occur. 

I mean, since WW2, we’ve had a ridiculous amount of sheer brutality of murderers against people and while it’s happening, the vast majority of global powers at the time feel hands are tied. History then shows us the sheer impact of human brutality and we all think “never again”. Until the next one....

• Like 1

On 24/12/2020 at 19:32, String fellow said:

No sir, I don't. But even if I did, the knowledge that some of my fellow humans hunt wild animals, not for eating, but merely to satisfy their lust for blood, that would still be pretty upsetting.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-55435940

It’s something that will never go away. Some humans just have a lust for blood shed, and if they can’t kill a person they would be happy to needlessly kill an animal. 

I work with a lady who rides horses, and she is very passionate about hunting, and pro hunting. They dress up every Boxing Day apparently and ride around rural Leicester protesting to bring the hints back all year round. I often sit and think how one’s thought process must be to be so passionate about wanting to kill something. 

I also know a woman who’s a medic in the army’s she has just come back from Africa doing an anti poaching tour, the finer details I don’t know but there have been an increase in elephant killings where she has been, so they were deployed to help prevent it. 

I think it’s a domination thing I don’t know, in sense of blood sport anyway, can’t see any other reason why people would take part.

Even her lowness the Queen has taken part in hunting for sport. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55562904

Take a minute to read this and consider changing your utilities provider if you are using British Gas please.

The company have decided that they will use the leverage of the pandemic, to rewrite their employees terms and conditions under the threat of the sack. Knowing that their customers will be currently distracted by other global ongoing to notice or care.

Its a disgraceful way to treat employees and a callous opportunistic move. 

Edited by Strokes
  • Like 3

48 minutes ago, Strokes said:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-55562904

Take a minute to read this and consider changing your utilities provider if you are using British Gas please.

The company have decided that they will use the leverage of the pandemic, to rewrite their employees terms and conditions under the threat of the sack. Knowing that their customers will be currently distracted by other global ongoing to notice or care.

Its a disgraceful way to treat employees and a callous opportunistic move. 

Please don't, I need to keep my job 😊

Not everything is completely factual coming from the GMB there, there was a 68% turnout, of which 90% did vote for the strike action. The other unions have accepted the terms, but the GMB have been pretty insistent the engineers go out, right from the beginning. 

It's been made very clear to us that the company will be in real trouble if we don't modernise, and we don't need to be too bright to see it for ourselves. 

Unfortunately too much has carried over from when we were nationalised, and it's just not sustainable. 

I need to keep my job, and so do my colleagues, even if I do now only get 25 days instead of 28 days paid annual leave :ph34r: