Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

56 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

I read that earlier, awful.

Although far fewer people die in RTAs now than they used to, it's still far too many - about 1700 a year in the UK in recent times.

It's a background level of attrition that doesn't really get much attention, with the exception of occasional individual stories like this one that get into the public eye

Not that I’m a maritime expert, however couldn’t they just get a similar sized ship to tug it back in place? 

Surely knowing how treacherous and narrow this stretch of canal is and the backlog it would cause, they’d have a recovery plan in place? 

20 minutes ago, Sly said:

Not that I’m a maritime expert, however couldn’t they just get a similar sized ship to tug it back in place? 

Clearly :D

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Sly said:

Surely knowing how treacherous and narrow this stretch of canal is and the backlog it would cause, they’d have a recovery plan in place? 

Not as easy as just attaching a rope and pulling. Ships that size are understandably not supposed to be on land. Pull it the wrong way it could potentially rupture the hull and sink it. It's stuck in a proper shitty position too, hard to get cranes in to take some containers off to lighten it which would usually be the first go to step.

46 minutes ago, Sly said:

Some would say sending another MASSIVE vessel into a confined space where one is already stuck might be foolhardy, but I'm not one of them and I say go for it

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

Some would say sending another MASSIVE vessel into a confined space where one is already stuck might be foolhardy, but I'm not one of them and I say go for it

Bad idea, there's a chap on here waiting for his patio furniture to turn up.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Bad idea, there's a chap on here waiting for his patio furniture to turn up.

But the alternative is to risk the furniture being smashed to bits on the rocks of the Cape of Good Hope, or possibly eaten by a great white shark; I must confess that like the previous poster, I am not a maritime expert

• Haha 1

31 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Not as easy as just attaching a rope and pulling. Ships that size are understandably not supposed to be on land. Pull it the wrong way it could potentially rupture the hull and sink it. It's stuck in a proper shitty position too, hard to get cranes in to take some containers off to lighten it which would usually be the first go to step.

It is a sizeable task. I was once in a similar situation after hiring a barge and got it stuck across the canal. It took 4 of us with big poles to free it from the mud.

5 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

It is a sizeable task. I was once in a similar situation after hiring a barge and got it stuck across the canal. It took 4 of us with big poles to free it from the mud.

In light of your experience in this area, the chances of you getting a call from the Egyptian authorities as soon as they read this are high, I'd have thought

• Haha 4

11 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Was one of them Robert Lewandowski? 

2 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

But the alternative is to risk the furniture being smashed to bits on the rocks of the Cape of Good Hope, or possibly eaten by a great white shark; I must confess that like the previous poster, I am not a maritime expert

Do we have any Maritime experts on here? We could do with some inside info. 

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

He'll be sacked or made to leave either way, he'll probably end up being in huge danger if he does return.

EDIT: Or she, thought I read it was a male.

I don't know the true facts behind this, but when i read this kind of stuff i try to imagine what events would lead to the outcome, or in this case why would a teacher feel inclined to have a caricature of muhammad as part of a lesson. The only reasons i can think of is 1, he's a bigoted racist and was taking the piss and obviously deserves to be sacked or 2, it was used as part of a lesson that was to do with the charlie hebdo terrorists and was defining what started the incident off. My guess is number 2 

2 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

I don't know the true facts behind this, but when i read this kind of stuff i try to imagine what events would lead to the outcome, or in this case why would a teacher feel inclined to have a caricature of muhammad as part of a lesson. The only reasons i can think of is 1, he's a bigoted racist and was taking the piss and obviously deserves to be sacked or 2, it was used as part of a lesson that was to do with the charlie hebdo terrorists and was defining what started the incident off. My guess is number 2 

It was in an RE lesson and they were apparently discussing blasphemy. However, it doesn't really matter - no teacher should be in fear of their life because they showed a picture in class. The parents protesting outside the gates need to grow up and start acting like adults.

The head teacher is a disgrace for apologising, too.

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1