Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

13 hours ago, I am Rod Hull said:

Meanwhile... BLM co-founder and self proclaimed Marxist goes on real estate buying binge lol. Got to love that she`s buying properties in majority white neighbourhoods, she must feel so oppressed.... 

Inside BLM co-founder Patrisse Khan-Cullors' million-dollar real estate  buying binge : internettoday

https://nypost.com/2021/04/10/inside-blm-co-founder-patrisse-khan-cullors-real-estate-buying-binge/

She’s just setting up a network of safe houses .........

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, MPH said:

Daunte Wright shooting: Officer Kim Potter to be charged over killing https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-56752821

An appropriate charge to which the ( ex) officer will have a chance to defend themselves against..

It's absolutely unthinkable where I live that police would act this way. It will be interesting to see if the American justice system can do a proper job here.

34 minutes ago, shen said:

It's absolutely unthinkable where I live that police would act this way. It will be interesting to see if the American justice system can do a proper job here.

What constitutes a "proper job"?

IMO this case is going to be really tricky for the prosecution to prove. From the BBC article: 

"In Minnesota state law, a person can be found guilty of second-degree manslaughter if they can be proven to have shown culpable negligence whereby they create an unreasonable risk and "consciously take chances of causing death or great bodily harm" to someone else."

The bolded part being the difficult bit.  It seems to me that there is negligence in creating the risk by pulling her gun rather than her taser, but believing that it is a taser she surely can't consciously take a chance of causing death or great bodily harm?  Her defence would be that her intent was to temporarily incapacitate Mr. Wright, not to consciously take a chance that could endanger his life.

For a conviction, I would think that the prosecution would have to prove beyond doubt that she knew she had pulled her gun or at least demonstrate that she should have known she had pulled her gun.  Training records will come into it, 26 years of service (has she been an exemplary officer or has she been a bit of a liability), and crucially, the design differences between her taser and her handgun.

15 hours ago, I am Rod Hull said:

Meanwhile... BLM co-founder and self proclaimed Marxist goes on real estate buying binge lol. Got to love that she`s buying properties in majority white neighbourhoods, she must feel so oppressed.... 

Inside BLM co-founder Patrisse Khan-Cullors' million-dollar real estate  buying binge : internettoday

https://nypost.com/2021/04/10/inside-blm-co-founder-patrisse-khan-cullors-real-estate-buying-binge/

Is that from donated / 'charity' money though or her own money? That's the big distinction. If it's from money made through 'BLM' and for her own benefit, she's a disgrace to the world. If it's money made through more conventional means, I don't think (apart from maybe a tad of hypocrisy) there's anything wrong with it.

Edited by LCFCCHRIS

8 minutes ago, LCFCCHRIS said:

Is that from donated / 'charity' money though or her own money? That's the big distinction. If it's from money made through 'BLM' and for her own benefit, she's a disgrace to the world.

Not exactly the best example of Marxism though is it?

1 hour ago, nnfox said:

What constitutes a "proper job"?

IMO this case is going to be really tricky for the prosecution to prove. From the BBC article: 

"In Minnesota state law, a person can be found guilty of second-degree manslaughter if they can be proven to have shown culpable negligence whereby they create an unreasonable risk and "consciously take chances of causing death or great bodily harm" to someone else."

The bolded part being the difficult bit.  It seems to me that there is negligence in creating the risk by pulling her gun rather than her taser, but believing that it is a taser she surely can't consciously take a chance of causing death or great bodily harm?  Her defence would be that her intent was to temporarily incapacitate Mr. Wright, not to consciously take a chance that could endanger his life.

For a conviction, I would think that the prosecution would have to prove beyond doubt that she knew she had pulled her gun or at least demonstrate that she should have known she had pulled her gun.  Training records will come into it, 26 years of service (has she been an exemplary officer or has she been a bit of a liability), and crucially, the design differences between her taser and her handgun.

I honestly cannot say what a 'proper job' would be. It was a comment more in despair than expectation knowing the American judicial system is mostly about who has the best lawyer than actually being about justice.

The fact she's even reaching for her taser seems already disproportionate. They have the guy's identity, they have the license plate, they have visual on him. They could follow him, they can let him go and apprehend him later, they could give him warnings/fines subsequently. The taser it self is potentially very harmful and what on Earth did this guy do that justified being incapacitated with a risk of bodily harm? The US police force and their protocols are properly messed up.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, I am Rod Hull said:

Majority white neighbourhoods???? Inglewood, South LA, Conyers?

Last time I looked Topanga was still full of hippies. 

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

:dunno: I think this discussion has come up before both concerning BLM and climate change activists being "hypocritical" in what they do.

If the point of this all is just to point out that they're hypocrites, then fair enough, is probably true. If the point is to point out they're hypocrites *and in so doing invalidate the cause they are activists for* (which frankly I think the OP was attempting) then it's utterly fallacious because whatever these people do or don't do changes nothing about the facts of the matter concerning global temperature increase and institutionalised police malpractice against people of colour in the US.

They may be hypocritical, but that doesn't stop them being correct, so it's better not to be taken in by spurious arguments from people who would much rather have the status quo continue because it suits them, the future and other people be damned.

Yeah that’s fine, I totally agree and wholeheartedly support the message, so long as I can also be hypocritical and change nothing about my life too. :thumbup:

15 minutes ago, Strokes said:

Yeah that’s fine, I totally agree and wholeheartedly support the message, so long as I can also be hypocritical and change nothing about my life too. :thumbup:

...I wasn't aware that the party involved was doing nothing and changing nothing about people of colour being discriminated against by the fuzz by the above property- based assertions, ditto the old argument about climate change activists having to use carbon emitting transport in their course of work, come to that (as if we need to give that up to change things anyway, it's a strawman).

In any case, governmental policy, not individual people setting an "example", is the only way these issues get addressed adequately.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

This could get messy. 

Marks & Spencer has begun legal action against Aldi, arguing the supermarket's Cuthbert the Caterpillar cake infringes its Colin the Caterpillar trademark. 

Who calls a caterpillar Cuthbert? 

8 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

This could get messy. 

Marks & Spencer has begun legal action against Aldi, arguing the supermarket's Cuthbert the Caterpillar cake infringes its Colin the Caterpillar trademark. 

Evidently Aldi aren't afraid to take whisks...

23 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

This could get messy. 

Pretty much every product Aldi stock has copycat branding of higher end products.

There seems to need to be an element of confusion as to the origin of the products for brands to have grounds to kick off about this... Which there clearly hasn't been since Aldi have been doing this for decades.

More power to Aldi, I say. This makes M&S look like dickheads. 

Edited by RoboFox
  • Like 2

56 minutes ago, Stuntman_Mike said:

This could get messy. 

From the legal argument: "Colin has acquired and retains an enhanced distinctive character and reputation."

A bold claim on behalf of a cake in the shape of an unrealistic caterpillar, I'd have said.

Aldi should've called it Simon the caterpillar or something to make it more distinct. Amateurs. It's like when Asda got done for selling Puffin bars

4 hours ago, leicsmac said:

...I wasn't aware that the party involved was doing nothing and changing nothing about people of colour being discriminated against by the fuzz by the above property- based assertions, ditto the old argument about climate change activists having to use carbon emitting transport in their course of work, come to that (as if we need to give that up to change things anyway, it's a strawman).

In any case, governmental policy, not individual people setting an "example", is the only way these issues get addressed adequately.

I was talking about Marxism :blink:

6 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

From the legal argument: "Colin has acquired and retains an enhanced distinctive character and reputation."

A bold claim on behalf of a cake in the shape of an unrealistic caterpillar, I'd have said.

Aldi should've called it Simon the caterpillar or something to make it more distinct. Amateurs. It's like when Asda got done for selling Puffin bars

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

All the supermarkets have a caterpillar cake ............

8 hours ago, Strokes said:

I was talking about Marxism :blink:

Oh, that wasn't clear from the post you responded to. I thought you were inferring her to be a hypocrite and a do-nothing in general terms - thanks for clarifying.

In that case, BLM being "Marxist" or not and how she fits into that particular narrative or not is also completely irrelevant to the issue that needs to be addressed and just seems like another smokescreen generated by those who think the way things are is acceptable.

Like this latest one, for instance: https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-56768217

1 hour ago, moore_94 said:

Another one... don’t they have something like 1 mass shooting a day or some ridiculous stat like that?

It’s ridiculous, 29 people were shot dead yesterday across America I read just before I read this news.

Another day another mass shooting. I’m not sure what it will take or how many people will die before they admit they have a problem. 
Every day there is another news story and who is actually surprised anymore?

4 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

It’s ridiculous, 29 people were shot dead yesterday across America I read just before I read this news.

Another day another mass shooting. I’m not sure what it will take or how many people will die before they admit they have a problem. 
Every day there is another news story and who is actually surprised anymore?

Does anyone say there isn't a problem?  It seems to me the argument is around the solution to that problem.  Its been done to death really, but taking guns off law abiding people doesn't stop a criminal having a gun.  The kind of person who would flip and kill people probably isn't the person who would hand over their guns to the feds either.

10 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Does anyone say there isn't a problem?  It seems to me the argument is around the solution to that problem.  Its been done to death really, but taking guns off law abiding people doesn't stop a criminal having a gun.  The kind of person who would flip and kill people probably isn't the person who would hand over their guns to the feds either.

I think there are a lot of people who don’t think there is a problem with guns over there.

Your argument can’t be serious? 
The bad guys all have guns, so let everyone have them?

How about not being able to buy them in the local supermarket, so when people are flipping out it’s not easy to access them.

I wouldn’t know where to start either in Australia or in the UK if I wanted to get my hands on a gun, yet from trips to the US I know I can walk in to a shop and grab whatever I need.

If it is harder for criminals to get one, less people think they need one, less people have them laying around when they do flip out and think this is what they need to do.

• Like 1