Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Countryfox

Also in the news

3 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

They wouldn't be the first people in the world to buy for the house and overlook the location or convince themselves it would be fine.  I wonder how the other houses along that fence are faring.

They got a 25,000 reduction in price. They might want to consider using the savings to get double glazed windows to lower noise lvls.

Edited by MPH

5 hours ago, MPH said:

So they buy a house 9ft from the A446 and complain about the noise and pollution?

Surely those are the things you consider BEFORE  you buy your house?

4 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

They wouldn't be the first people in the world to buy for the house and overlook the location or convince themselves it would be fine.  I wonder how the other houses along that fence are faring.

1 hour ago, MPH said:

They got a 25,000 reduction in price. They might want to consider using the savings to get double glazed windows to lower noise lvls.

It does raise questions about the development. You wonder whether the houses are set closer to the road than they should've been or whether or not any acoustics assessments they did before-hand weren't done thoroughly enough. It's pretty basic stuff really.

That said, I don't have that much sympathy for them and to be frank, I think moaning to the paper kind of typifies a sense of entitlement and a lack of taking responsibility for making a shit decision. It's a dual carriageway for gods sake, what really went into their thought process? 

• Like 3

They'll get used to it.  My aunt has lived for 40 years yards from a main rail line into London. Every time a train goes by I almost shit myself it's so loud, I assume by now she doesn't, but I've never asked admittedly.

It's got the added bonus of being very close to Gatwick airport

2 hours ago, ajthefox said:

That said, I don't have that much sympathy for them and to be frank, I think moaning to the paper kind of typifies a sense of entitlement and a lack of taking responsibility for making a shit decision. It's a dual carriageway for gods sake, what really went into their thought process? 

It also surely devalues their house even more and lessens their chance of moving it on.

Edited by WigstonWanderer

4 hours ago, leicsmac said:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55626148

Let's see if he rolls on everyone he knows now, then?

What really interests me in this story is this

"Schaffer, who is also a heavy metal guitarist in the band Iced Earth, had originally faced six charges including using a chemical irritant designed for grizzly bears on police officers during clashes."

Is this some sort of mace spray and just how close do you need to get to a grizzly bear for it to be effective?

33 minutes ago, reynard said:

"Schaffer, who is also a heavy metal guitarist in the band Iced Earth, had originally faced six charges including using a chemical irritant designed for grizzly bears on police officers during clashes."

Is this some sort of mace spray and just how close do you need to get to a grizzly bear for it to be effective?

I'm no expert but I'd have thought it's intended for last resort use when the bear is about to bite your head, but I'm willing to try sneaking up on one and spraying it in the face to test it out

1 hour ago, reynard said:

Yes, pretty much: effective distance varies with make and wind direction but it's pretty much a last-resort defence.

I've carried one on occasion but never had to use one.

https://www.greenbelly.co/pages/bear-spray

Edited by Buce

57 minutes ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I'm no expert but I'd have thought it's intended for last resort use when the bear is about to bite your head, but I'm willing to try sneaking up on one and spraying it in the face to test it out

giphy.gif?cid=82a1493bw3yg0igzc4soenkf6l

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, leicsmac said:

Just need to choose the right bear. :D

Blimey. Reminds me of that guy not even blinking when a silverback charged him. I'd have definitely soiled myself in both videos. 

7 minutes ago, Zear0 said:

Blimey. Reminds me of that guy not even blinking when a silverback charged him. I'd have definitely soiled myself in both videos. 

Well, seeing as we're on the topic and it could be considered "newsworthy"...

8 hours ago, Bellend Sebastian said:

I'm going to assume all bear interactions are like that from now on. It'll be completely fine

Apart from Timothy Treadwell, the grizzly man, who used to go to Alaska every year befriending grizzly bears, until one ate him and his partner.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/russians-skripal-salisbury-poisonings-czech-blast-b930287.html

"Two Russian men suspected of poisoning Sergei Skripal in Salisbury have been linked to an explosion at an arms depot in the Czech Republic. Czech police have issued pictures of “Alexander Petrov” and “Ruslan Boshirov” who they say were in the country at the time of the explosion in the village of Vrbětice in 2014. Two people died in the blast".

Czech Republic, Bulgaria, Salisbury......Sounds as if these two blokes need to issue one of those "European tour" T-shirts. :whistle:

<p>Alexander Petrov and Ruslan Boshirov</p>