Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicester_Loyal

The Politics Thread 2020

36 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Oh come on! 

I don't watch Game of Thrones so have no idea what the link is. However, the original protest of 'taking a knee' during the Star Spangled Banner has surely been overtaken by the events surrounding George Floyd's death. I don't like this symbolic gesture. Perhaps I'm missing something? 

31 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

The plane needs painting, and this is what it costs to paint a plane.  What colour it is painted has little effect on the cost.

I think it makes sense that our Prime Minister has a UK branded plane.  Most other countries have this.

'needs'. Does it? 

Apparently it doesn't need to cost this much either. 

Surely there are more pressing matters to be spending something on? 

And just because other countries or PM's do it, doesn't mean we have to?

If Trump jumped off a cliff, would Boris? 

Probably, to be honest :ph34r:

26 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

I don't watch Game of Thrones so have no idea what the link is. However, the original protest of 'taking a knee' during the Star Spangled Banner has surely been overtaken by the events surrounding George Floyd's death. I don't like this symbolic gesture. Perhaps I'm missing something? 

Gesture politics. Most pointless ****ing thing going. 

'we've crouched on a knee, racism is solved'. 

It's exactly what the establishment want isn't it? Everyone's foaming at the mouth over some v stupid pointless gesture and the status quo goes unchallenged. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, StanSP said:

'needs'. Does it? 

Don't worry, I'm sure these people would be equally as understanding if it was a Labour Prime Minister rebranding the plane. Absolutely sure they'd be as cool with it. 100% sure, no issues whatsoever. Nothing to do with your political persuasion. Not an issue.

(And yeah, I bet staunch Labour people would defend Starmer if he was spending £900k rebranding a plane. The point is the ridiculous hypocrisy as people tie themselves to a political hill and defend it with all their might, no matter what ridiculous things they do. People tying themselves to a political party, or a political figure and then defending every single thing they do are a bit weird tbh. Something missing in their lives.)

7 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Tbf I think the people getting rowdy over a £900k paint job when the government have just rolled tens of billions of pounds into the economy are probably just barking up a mad tree. Woof woof.

Yes, it obviously is as simple as that. 

Why project that it is that kind of thing that's happening? Are we not allowed to criticise what money is being spent (plane) but at the same time be satisfied that money was also spent in to the economy? 

Why does it have to be either/or? 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

Yes, it obviously is as simple as that. 

Why project that it is that kind of thing that's happening? Are we not allowed to criticise what money is being spent (plane) but at the same time be satisfied that money was also spent in to the economy? 

Why does it have to be either/or? 

You can criticise whatever you want. And I'm allowed to point out that you're criticising small potatoes. Making mountains out of molehills so to speak. 

And then saying hurp derp Boris does what trump does ehewhewhuew. Nah. Ain't seen him burn millions of tax payers money playing golf. So probably just barking up a mad tree. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

You can criticise whatever you want. And I'm allowed to point out that you're criticising small potatoes. Making mountains out of molehills so to speak. 

And then saying hurp derp Boris does what trump does ehewhewhuew. Nah. Ain't seen him burn millions of tax payers money playing golf. So probably just barking up a mad tree. 

Agree to disagree then. Can't be arsed as we'll just end up going round in circles. 

The government is, by this stage, showing itself to be worryingly out of touch and incompetent. Surely even a good number of Tory voters, particularly those voting for them for the first time to 'get Brexit done' must be getting concerned by now?

Weekly u-turns after initially doubling down on their previous position, including somehow getting politically outmanouevered by a 22-year-old footballer, is massively worrying ahead of already mishandled Brexit negotiations entering the final stages. 

Johnson is still struggling at PMQs, bizarrely resorting to asking Starmer whether schools are safe to reopen after weeks of ignoring LOTO attempts to co-operate, gaffes from Cabinet ministers that would normally destroy their credibility seem to be on a weekly basis by this stage and Sunak is being venerated, seemingly because he's one of the few able to articulate a sentence without speaking in tongues. 

I would like to ask a first-time Tory voter,  rather than a member of the cult of Boris or Holy Brexit, whether or not they're massively disappointed by the performance of those they voted for thus far. 

Edited by Bilo
  • Like 3

Re the plane one would hope that the job goes to a British owned company employing British residents. Can we avoid offering the job to the whole of Europe?

• Like 3

To be honest, a plane paint job isn’t particularly troublesome to me, I have no idea about planes or how often they should be repainted or the nature of this paint job, are they repainting it as necessary and using that as a rebranding opportunity, or vice versa? I know it’s public money but it smacks of the Daily Mail story trying to discredit Starmer for building his mam a donkey sanctuary. 

24 minutes ago, davieG said:

Re the plane one would hope that the job goes to a British owned company employing British residents. Can we avoid offering the job to the whole of Europe?

This is true though, like the whole new Post-EU passports being produced in France. We’ve left so why not make the best of it and better the state of British manufacturing and craftsmanship with favourable contracts where we can?

2 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

This is true though, like the whole new Post-EU passports being produced in France. We’ve left so why not make the best of it and better the state of British manufacturing and craftsmanship with favourable contracts where we can?

Not sure if we currently can? Still following the open to everyone rules til we leave I thought. 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

To be honest, a plane paint job isn’t particularly troublesome to me, I have no idea about planes or how often they should be repainted or the nature of this paint job, are they repainting it as necessary and using that as a rebranding opportunity, or vice versa? I know it’s public money but it smacks of the Daily Mail story trying to discredit Starmer for building his mam a donkey sanctuary. 

I don’t think we can whilst we are in transition, I think everything put out to tender has to be without prejudice.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Not sure if we currently can? Still following the open to everyone rules til we leave I thought. 

3 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I don’t think we can whilst we are in transition, I think everything put out to tender has to be without prejudice.

Fair enough, but can we still not just ‘happen’ to choose the British options? We only have to consider all options right?

11 minutes ago, Finnaldo said:

Fair enough, but can we still not just ‘happen’ to choose the British options? We only have to consider all options right?

I would imagine it’s possibly sealed bids, so unless it’s incredibly underhand then no.

There are exceptions for national security but as we haven’t used them before, it would leave us wide open for legal action.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Voll Blau said:

Yep, we're at the stage now so many of the whiners wrongly thought we were at before we left  - abiding by the rules of Brussels without having any actual say ourselves.

What good did our say actually do in such matters?

5 minutes ago, Strokes said:

I would imagine it’s possibly sealed bids, so unless it’s incredibly underhand then no.

There are exceptions for national security but as we haven’t used them before, it would leave us wide open for legal action.

Easy, just pick the one written in English 

:ph34r:

• Haha 2

1. Government provides a further £100 billion to sure up the economy
  2. Dominic Raab which does not tally with popularist opinion

Which one to discuss most?

When did optics become more important than actions? 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bilo said:

The government is, by this stage, showing itself to be worryingly out of touch and incompetent. Surely even a good number of Tory voters, particularly those voting for them for the first time to 'get Brexit done' must be getting concerned by now?

Weekly u-turns after initially doubling down on their previous position, including somehow getting politically outmanouevered by a 22-year-old footballer, is massively worrying ahead of already mishandled Brexit negotiations entering the final stages. 

Johnson is still struggling at PMQs, bizarrely resorting to asking Starmer whether schools are safe to reopen after weeks of ignoring LOTO attempts to co-operate, gaffes from Cabinet ministers that would normally destroy their credibility seem to be on a weekly basis by this stage and Sunak is being venerated, seemingly because he's one of the few able to articulate a sentence without speaking in tongues. 

I would like to ask a first-time Tory voter,  rather than a member of the cult of Boris or Holy Brexit, whether or not they're massively disappointed by the performance of those they voted for thus far. 

They are struggling yes.  Boris and Cummings have stacked the Cabinet with too many lightweights who toe the line, which would probably have been fine for their original plans, but has left them exposed in this time of crisis.  They should have pulled in some heavyweights early on.  Javid for Coronavirus response minister perhaps.  Frost though is doing a good job of the Brexit negotiations, and they will come good - it is sad that it has taken this long for the EU to admit they wanted an extension and to then concede it isn't happening. Now finally we can get on with it properly.

The U turns have been a bit strange - shown a lack of awareness of the public mood, which is unusual.  The decision themselves were right in the end, but how we got their was daft.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:
  1. Government provides a further £100 billion to sure up the economy
  2. Dominic Raab which does not tally with popularist opinion

Which one to discuss most?

When did optics become more important than actions? 

Never even mind the money slapped in, the mere news that the hit to the economy is expected to be less than originally thought (though still big) should at least give us 5 minutes of cheer. :facepalm:

2 hours ago, StanSP said:

'needs'. Does it? 

Apparently planes are repainted every 4 years, however the cost is more like £200k, so evidently there is a full refurb going on here.  Still no doubt cheaper than leasing an appropriate jet. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-53089614

It's like the White House have no one within who actually understands Forbidden Fruit/Streisand Effect when it comes to information access needs. All they are doing right now is ensuring sales and readings of this book will go through the roof - and regardless of whatever legal action they might take, in this digital age, they cannot stop it.