Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicester_Loyal

The Politics Thread 2020

4 minutes ago, Innovindil said:

Ask whether the promise to keep chlorinated chicken off UK plates remained, prime minister's official spokesperson would only say: "The position is that the UK will decide how we set and maintain our own standards and regulations and we have been clear that we will not compromise on our high standards of food safety and animal welfare.

"The UK's food regulators will continue to provide independent advice to ensure that all food imports comply with those high safety standards."

A Government spokesperson said: “The UK is renowned for its high environmental, food safety and animal welfare standards. “We have been clear that in all of our trade negotiations – including with the US in our first round of negotiations – that we will not undermine our high domestic environmental protection, animal welfare and food safety standards by ensuring in any agreement British farmers are always able to compete.”

I am genuinely not sure where the quote that says we're ready to open British markets to chlorinated chicken is. In fact, the quotes seem to suggest the opposite. :unsure:

It’s in this part, no?

“We have been clear that in all of our trade negotiations – including with the US in our first round of negotiations – that we will not undermine our high domestic environmental protection, animal welfare and food safety standards by ensuring in any agreement British farmers are always able to compete.

Based on reports that they’d allow these products through with tariffs, making British produce more affordable.

However, it then goes on to say there’s elements in the Party that wish this tariff to only last ten years, gradually declining over that period as a timeframe  to give ‘farmers time to adjust to the new normal’.

So basically, a load of guff to say “actually, yeah we will allow it”

The chlorinated chicken thing has became enough of a furore that it won’t be a part of any deal but there’ll probably equally shite things that make it through 

Well I hope we don't get chlorinated chicken but if we do I'm sure it will be labelled and people don't have to buy it and if they don't it wont be worthwhile exporting it to us.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, davieG said:

Well I hope we don't get chlorinated chicken but if we do I'm sure it will be labelled and people don't have to buy it and if they don't it wont be worthwhile exporting it to us.

Amazes me, people go on about chlorinated chicken which I believe is never going to happen.but are quite happy for people to sell and eat Halal food which is just about as cruel and medieval as it gets and no one dare say,.as they should, that this process should be banned...........wonder why?......wrote this before seeing the previous post.....agreed!

Edited by Gordon the Great

29 minutes ago, Gordon the Great said:

Amazes me, people go on about chlorinated chicken which I believe is never going to happen.but are quite happy for people to sell and eat Halal food which is just about as cruel and medieval as it gets and no one dare say,.as they should, that this process should be banned...........wonder why?......wrote this before seeing the previous post.....agreed!

That’s two separate issues though.

Halal is a butchering technique, but it’s still produced in the UK. It has to meet UK sanitary and food safety laws.

The issue here is that it’s US-produced and their food sanitation laws are famously awful. Up until now (it seems) it wasn’t considered fit for human consumption over here. But it looks like we may be willing to sell meat so unsanitary it has to be washed in chlorine just to appease America.

This is just the start of whatever shite deals they may want to push on us and we don’t seem willing to fight back on it (or we can’t, because quelle surprise, we’re in the weaker position).

Edited by Finnaldo
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Wonder if chlorinated chicken will get the same attention as halal chicken :dunno:

I couldn’t care on either to be honest, it goes in and out the same holes.

Edited by Strokes
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Finnaldo said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/chlorinated-chicken-british-markets-us-trade-deal-trump-a9548431.html

‘Government ready to open British markets to chlorinated chicken for US trade deal‘

Has this been discussed at all? 

All this talk of ‘British sovereignty’ seems a bit null and void when we have to lower our food standards for the Yanks...

Yeah Liz Truss been lurking in the background doing negotiations for this - going to be interesting to see what's taken to the Commons for the vote. 

If it goes wrong, Truss will feel the 'pain' more than anyone. She is MP within an area of Norfolk - where this sort of farming is massive for the region. 

5 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Not sure if it belongs here or politics... 

A doctor is quitting the profession owing to the Cummins debacle. Sad. 

That’s just silly - he will be a doctor for many years ......politicians (and their aides) come and go with the wind .....

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, stix said:

Sad? Ridiculous you mean. It’s probably bullshit as well

Labour activist hoping to be an MP perhaps?

Or a doctor that realises you earn more through private agency work than you do with the NHS?

37 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

What a freaklol

Is there a link to the story?

Just wondering if it is as 'click-baity' as 'he quit cos of Cummings'. My inkling is that there was more to it...!

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Just wondering if it is as 'click-baity' as 'he quit cos of Cummings'. My inkling is that there was more to it...!

There's obviously more to it than that, I'd imagine he's got his own reasons for quitting like someone else has said.

It's in various newspapers but I'll give you the DailyMail link:D:wub:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8387481/NHS-frontline-doctor-QUITS-Dominic-Cummings-did-not-resign.html

13 hours ago, foxile5 said:

Not sure if it belongs here or politics... 

A doctor is quitting the profession owing to the Cummins debacle. Sad. 

6 hours ago, stix said:

Sad? Ridiculous you mean. It’s probably bullshit as well

6 hours ago, kenny said:

Labour activist hoping to be an MP perhaps?

Or a doctor that realises you earn more through private agency work than you do with the NHS?

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

1 hour ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

There's obviously more to it than that, I'd imagine he's got his own reasons for quitting like someone else has said.

It's in various newspapers but I'll give you the DailyMail link:D:wub:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8387481/NHS-frontline-doctor-QUITS-Dominic-Cummings-did-not-resign.html

The doc publicly virtue signalled said he'd quit if Cummings didn't lose his job.

He's a man of his word.

A plank for publicly saying it in the first place but still, a man of his word.

6 minutes ago, Tuna said:

Tice and Oakeshott did not deny their attendance and made reference to testing their eyesight – an apparent nod to the reason given by the prime minister’s chief adviser, Dominic Cummings, for driving to a beauty spot during lockdown. 

Oakeshott is thought to have been staying last month at her nearby apartment in Seaview, a second home which she purchased in 2018. Government rules have stated that people must remain in their primary residence, specifying that essential travel does not include visits to second homes. 

lol

• Haha 3

On 31/05/2020 at 14:20, pds said:

Just found out the sister in law has taken her fence down and a lot of the family is going around for a big BBQ with her and all her neighbours later ffs. Their garden isn't big and only accessible via the house. 

Today she's going around visiting all loads of family and friends inside their homes. She's pregnant too. 🙄

• Sad 1