Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicester_Loyal

The Politics Thread 2020

I'm guessing she means she wasn't able to go on big holidays or expensive holidays and Scarborough was what they could afford. 

Having said that, I don't know how it can be construed as child poverty...? 

4 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Awkward...I like scarborough :unsure:

Friendly people, decent chippies, nice views, plenty of activities for the kids. And you can rent a 6-bed house for the week for about £1000, making it cheap as ships between the family.

Dunno what's not to like tbh. Especially with the decent summer weather we've had the last couple years.

12 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

There is an underlying argument here as well though - the parents of these kids are already recieving benefits - so why can they not feed the kids?  Either you buy that they are not getting enough, or they are but are wasting it on other things.  You quickly come back to the idea that we are effectivley giving food vouchers which removes agency from the parents to manage their benefits.

Depends on how you view it. 

If you're on a low income, its pretty certain you're living week to week - so during term time, if you're kids are getting fed at school, that's at least one out going you don't need to worry about - so having that extra cost during the summer holiday's, especially in the situation we have now. will be tricky for a lot of families up and down the country. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DJ Barry Hammond said:

Depends on how you view it. 

If you're on a low income, its pretty certain you're living week to week - so during term time, if you're kids are getting fed at school, that's at least one out going you don't need to worry about - so having that extra cost during the summer holiday's, especially in the situation we have now. will be tricky for a lot of families up and down the country. 

Edited by Dr The Singh

I'm sure I read it was a summer camp that was set up for poor kids.

So not exactly a holiday if your not into that kind of thing, but not exactly starving, with no heat poor either. 

All seems a bit weird still 

1 hour ago, Strokes said:

If poverty is always measured relatively, how do you eradicate it?

🤔

It's measured relative to median income, isn't it? Relative poverty is usually defined as less than 60% of median income, I think.

So it would be perfectly possible to have zero relative poverty, in theory.

You eradicate it through policies to ensure less inequality of income - a bigger issue in the UK than in most other developed countries.

Can't be arsed getting into a debate about why it should happen or how to achieve this, though.....nearly MOTD time. :D

• Like 2

Trump now blaming the high infection rate in the States on too much testing! The answer apparently is to wind it back 😂😂😂😂

How totally thick is this guy?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-21/donald-trump-says-ordered-slowdown-coronavirus-testing/12377556

Edited by WigstonWanderer

14 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

Trump now blaming the high infection rate in the States on too much testing! The answer apparently is to wind it back 😂😂😂😂

How totally thick is this guy?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-06-21/donald-trump-says-ordered-slowdown-coronavirus-testing/12377556

I believe they call it "cognitive dissonance".

And in cases like this it's actually harmful - not only to his supporters, but to anyone they might come into contact with in their daily lives.

I think that this PPE contract with the Sussex company has some mileage in it and could end up v damaging to the govt 

somebody/some company/some organisation somewhere (could be here, could be anywhere) , would have had to stump up the collateral to place PPE orders amounting to £100m+.  you don’t get credit on PPE, especially during a pandemic. Even having a govt supply contract doesn’t guarantee payment. The U.K. govt could place directly with China and ask the Chinese govt to act as guarantor to the medical supply companies on the basis that the quality of product would be acceptable. This is not something that a private company can do. Banks could be interested but given the ‘Wild West’ nature of PPE supply a month or two ago, I don’t see a bank getting involved with a company, assets of £18k in a deal this size (which could go wrong). 

so it stinks ......... really stinks ......

• Like 2

On 19/06/2020 at 22:36, Innovindil said:

Awkward...I like scarborough :unsure:

Friendly people, decent chippies, nice views, plenty of activities for the kids. And you can rent a 6-bed house for the week for about £1000, making it cheap as ships between the family.

Dunno what's not to like tbh. Especially with the decent summer weather we've had the last couple years.

Bloody ships are Too expensive,Now chips.........i

what was Good enough for Simon & Garfunkel.....in The Sounds of silence,I will travel to Scarborough fair

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, fuchsntf said:

what was Good enough for Simon & Garfunkel.....in The Sounds of silence,I will travel to Scarborough fair

I thought they just went to Scarborough because there was a fair on and they hoped to buy a few herbs?

Though if the place was a bit quiet that would have gone down well too, I suppose.

They should give Dover a try. There are a lot of troubled waters down there post-Brexit. There could be a construction project in it for them.

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Farage flew out lol

Does he quarantine on return? 

He's reportedly got a US visa as a special exemption to the US travel ban as his visit is in the "national interest" - he's appearing at a Trump campaign event.

Imagine now if he had Covid-19 and gave it to Trump....that would give a whole new meaning to "the special relationship". :ph34r: