Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Leicester_Loyal

The Politics Thread 2020

47 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

He's reportedly got a US visa as a special exemption to the US travel ban as his visit is in the "national interest" - he's appearing at a Trump campaign event.

Imagine now if he had Covid-19 and gave it to Trump....that would give a whole new meaning to "the special relationship". :ph34r:

Rumour has it that positive Covid-19 tests are quite rife within the Trump campaign team so it may be that Toupee45 manages to get sorted there without Farage's help.

Further on topic, Trump really is playing it just as he did in 2016, isn't he? Can't decide if that's good or bad, but I'm inclined to think that it is more likely to not work for him than to be successful. The world has changed, even in the past few months.

2 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Some chatter that loads of teenagers ‘booked tickets’ for trump’s rally which made the organisers expect a huge attendance ....and may have put some genuine attendees off coming 

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/21/style/tiktok-trump-rally-tulsa.html

The claim is certainly there, it would seem.

Imagine being the campaign manager who didn't see something like this coming and got totally outflanked. lol

Oh, and as it was four years ago, your one-stop shop for top-line mathematical analysis of the coming election is now showing it's polling analysis and will continue to do so til election night:

https://fivethirtyeight.com/

I'd recommend it to anyone who is interested. Also, if people are interested, I could do a state-by-state count-up as I did in 2016 (though the polls definitely got that one wrong!)

19 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

I thought they just went to Scarborough because there was a fair on and they hoped to buy a few herbs?

Though if the place was a bit quiet that would have gone down well too, I suppose.

They should give Dover a try. There are a lot of troubled waters down there post-Brexit. There could be a construction project in it for them.

Dover..a Castles Lorry park, a Town that Fell into the sea.....Sell it to France....,The bluebirds chirp in French anyway...and they shit all over our white cliffs..!!

Edited by fuchsntf
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

I thought they just went to Scarborough because there was a fair on and they hoped to buy a few herbs?

Though if the place was a bit quiet that would have gone down well too, I suppose.

They should give Dover a try. There are a lot of troubled waters down there post-Brexit. There could be a construction project in it for them.

I imagine that was shortly after writing  Homeward Bound at Widnes railway station ( there is a plaque there...)

Edited by Stivo
  • Thanks 1

The thread leading up to this absolute humdinger of a Tweet is horrendous to read. Why on earth was a Momentum activist parachuted into the constituency against the wishes of the CLP? You can only hope that she's deselected by 2024.

• Like 2

Apparently, and I've no idea if this is true or not, the key speaker who was going to speak to the crowd outside the Trump rally (you know, the one that ended up not existing) was Farage.

That is utterly chef's kiss delicious, if it's true.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, leicsmac said:

Something like I did here.

Was an interesting bit of number work over an evening.

Ok thanks.  

Can I ask - are you living in the USA?  Be good to get a “feel” for how things are on the ground IYKWIM.  I was on holiday there four years ago literally in the three weeks before the election.  Whilst I spent all that time in California and Nevada (both which voted for Clinton) it was really noticeable there was no visible support for her.  Trump supporters were much more vocal and visible.

I saw one poster in all that time showing support for Clinton.  I was quite surprised to be honest.

18 minutes ago, zorro en españa said:

Ok thanks.  

Can I ask - are you living in the USA?  Be good to get a “feel” for how things are on the ground IYKWIM.  I was on holiday there four years ago literally in the three weeks before the election.  Whilst I spent all that time in California and Nevada (both which voted for Clinton) it was really noticeable there was no visible support for her.  Trump supporters were much more vocal and visible.

I saw one poster in all that time showing support for Clinton.  I was quite surprised to be honest.

I was, but not any more. I do however still have a pretty extensive friend network there that at least gives me an idea of what is going on.

It's interesting to hear that about Nevada and Cali - people said in the past that Hillary took a supporter base for granted and so they didn't turn out. However, I think that the situation is different this time in that the aforementioned supporter base will be more motivated to turn out this time anyway because this election is pretty much a referendum on Trump. And I think he's miscalculating by playing it the same way as four years ago.

6 hours ago, leicsmac said:

I was, but not any more. I do however still have a pretty extensive friend network there that at least gives me an idea of what is going on.

I would be very interested to hear their views - if you can cut through their political preferences.

It is clear that Trump is, presently, on the back foot.  I do not, however, underestimate his ability to go on the attack as the election nears.  I feel, from a very far distance, that he will be better trusted with the economy and, arguably, can point to some strong indicators pre-Covid.  We can nearly predict what his sound bites will be on Biden.

More interestingly, do the independent voters want another “four more years” of Trump leadership.  Do some Republicans?  It would seem that a Biden government would, at least be tolerable to them and something they were not prepared to countenance under Clinton or Sanders.

So, what about Biden?  He should be able to predict the attacks coming his way and he needs answers and his own sound bites.  It is his job to say how different his leadership will be; this should not be hard but he is notorious for his “foot in mouth” moments.  Being statesmanlike and not being trapped whilst setting a forward progressive agenda must be his tactical approach.  It is also becoming quite clear that the correct running mate is going to be crucial.  Any views FT readers?

I am becoming more and more intrigued in this election.  If I, a non-American, can feel this way surely many Americans must feel they have to get out and vote.  Should be very interesting.

12 hours ago, Bilo said:

The thread leading up to this absolute humdinger of a Tweet is horrendous to read. Why on earth was a Momentum activist parachuted into the constituency against the wishes of the CLP? You can only hope that she's deselected by 2024.

Keith Vaz will be back mark my words! I actually have a that on quite good authority. #ITK

Edited by The whole world smiles

15 minutes ago, The whole world smiles said:

Keith Vaz will be back mark my words! I actually have a that on quite good authority. #ITK

She was forced on Leicester East CLP. despite their protestations, in the midst of the Momentum and Corbyn stranglehold on the party mechanism. A slower burning Jared O'Mara.

9 hours ago, Wymsey said:

Is Mr. Vaz now fit/healthy enough to answer questions about his controversies in recent times?..

He was in the news last week to proclaim that he will 'personally' defend the Ghandi statue from any attempt to remove it. 

The electorate will compare Starmer's quick action with that of his predecessor and, crucially, Johnson's stubborn refusal to countenance the sacking of Cummings and Jenrick for far worse than RLB did. I think it'll be a favourable comparison on both counts, and certainly shows that anything that even has the whiff of antisemitism isn't going to fly any more.

• Like 4