Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

3 hours ago, Parafox said:

Yes, good post. but please try and use a spell checker before you submit your post. No disrespect to you, though. Just might make your posts easier to read.

Sorry mate,but I am Running 3 keyboards,conversing across a few languages.....Tablets are unforgiving...

my given spelling in any language is usually faultless but when released/delivered...Sometimes I can re-edit, sometimes..heyho..!!

I sent a short essay to my nephew a while back..to see if there were incorrect spellings after sending,I had already took my own copy & compared..I did it 3 times, one clear and ok, the other Two a few spelling inaccuracies or even different words..

And that was after returning to English keyboard...But I have also seen some others have incorrect wording..

So my life ain't about flying around UK to correct my original posts on various blogs or forums..Though I am more diligent when I am Emailing officious communications..

So to many, don't believe what you may thought you sent, you will have even with spell check regurgitated errors....

Edited by fuchsntf

3 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Why no mention of a third wave? Genuine question, because if we lockdown and suppress the R number again we will be back to where we were and will repeat the whole process again and again.

If we weren't close to a vaccine, I don't think we'd be entertaining the idea a second lockdown. But it seems we are close. So we get through winter, and we've seen the virus doesn't do well in summer, so we buy time until next October to get a vaccine rolled out.

3 hours ago, Stevosevic said:

Just a cycle of lockdowns is not the answer. Economy will literally be ruined. 

assume the lockdowns will be less severe and only a couple, weeks at a time ...... shutting everything down for three months was horrendous for the economy.  Short fortnight shocks may just about be able to be withstood .... 

people in ICU in U.K. now approx 140.  A week or so ago it was under 70. 

I'm struggling to work out what's the alternative strategy to re-imposing tighter restrictions. Do we pretend that the virus has gone away, don't give it any publicity, and let thousands more from the older generations die? I'm starting to think that some from the younger generations would be happy for that to happen. And trying to play down the statistics all the while can't hide the fact that 64,000 excess deaths have occurred in the UK since February.   

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, String fellow said:

I'm struggling to work out what's the alternative strategy to re-imposing tighter restrictions. Do we pretend that the virus has gone away, don't give it any publicity, and let thousands more from the older generations die? I'm starting to think that some from the younger generations would be happy for that to happen. And trying to play down the statistics all the while can't hide the fact that 64,000 excess deaths have occurred in the UK since February.   

The younger generation are having their future ruined in fairness. Some would say we are spoiling the lives of 90% of people for the benefit of 10%.

Surely there is a way of isolating and keeping the vulnerable in a lockdown that allows life to go on in relative normal for the majority.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

The younger generation are having their future ruined in fairness. Some would say we are spoiling the lives of 90% of people for the benefit of 10%.

Surely there is a way of isolating and keeping the vulnerable in a lockdown that allows life to go on in relative normal for the majority.

The younger generation seems to be the flavour of the month, cases are on the rise across a lot of different age groups, they’re also the second hardest hit (factoring those poor souls who passed away). Part of the problem with the 3 month lockdown was it was inevitable that as soon as it was eased there would be a spike. Mentally and physically the effects of it have hit everyone and people do want to get back to some form of normality. For me if there is another lockdown it needs to be short and specifically focussed on giving hospitals time to prep, actually ring fencing care homes and getting a test and trace tool working. Otherwise we’ll just repeat the same thing every couple of months. 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Stevosevic said:

Spot on. As shit as it is, that's the best way forward IMO, while still doing the hand washing, the social distancing, the mask wearing and being cautious.

16 minutes ago, Shram said:

The younger generation seems to be the flavour of the month, cases are on the rise across a lot of different age groups, they’re also the second hardest hit (factoring those poor souls who passed away). Part of the problem with the 3 month lockdown was it was inevitable that as soon as it was eased there would be a spike. Mentally and physically the effects of it have hit everyone and people do want to get back to some form of normality. For me if there is another lockdown it needs to be short and specifically focussed on giving hospitals time to prep, actually ring fencing care homes and getting a test and trace tool working. Otherwise we’ll just repeat the same thing every couple of months. 

They had 6 months to specifically do all that to be fair, they'll need many more months to get it all prepared and working properly.

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

The number of people purely focussing on actual deaths continues to astound me too. There is so much information coming out about the potential long term health implications for people who have been infected, even those who are not particularly ill, or even show no symptoms at all. There are studies which have found multiple organ damage, mental impairment, chronic fatigue, all life changing, but hey, they're not dead so let's all get back to normal. The long term damage is quite frightening if people could actually be bothered to read it, but sadly some seem to just want to bury their heads in the sand, or just look at the numbers of actual deaths.

Unfortunately keeping this at bay as best we can relies on the majority having some kind of moral responsibility, which seems to be lacking in so many people these day.  If we carry on like this it won't be long before the NHS is overwhelmed again, as is already coming close in France and Spain. 

It’s all beginning to make sense....

I don't buy into the idea that members of the younger generation are having their futures ruined by steps to control the virus. It's the virus itself that could ruin their futures, as a result of catching it and possibly suffering long-term health damage. Furthermore, any gaps in their education can be filled in later on, especially if, like me, they learn almost everything they need to know in life during adulthood. And that's true more than ever now, thanks to the internet.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, String fellow said:

The alternative is to get on with it...a bit like how we get along with cancer. We just carry on. 

Allow 'at risk' groups to take indefinite sick leave. Set strategies for those who wish or need to shield. Provide guidance and advice to the rest of us.... who'll then get on doing whatever we want to do, go where we want to go and everything else.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

The alternative is to get on with it...a bit like how we get along with cancer. We just carry on. 

Allow 'at risk' groups to take indefinite sick leave. Set strategies for those who wish or need to shield. Provide guidance and advice to the rest of us.... who'll then get on doing whatever we want to do, go where we want to go and everything else.

Exactly. Imo its about reducing your social interaction. So I can go to work, and visit my mums house and sisters house, but if I'm at a different mates house every other night, we have problems. Follow the rules of mask wearing and hand sanitation in more public settings. 

I've had a 6 week gap between jobs since this started, other than that I've been in the office every week day. I live alone, so I have to go shop as nobody else is going. I've been to my mums house, been to my sisters. I've been gym when it reopened, I've been on runs with a mate couple of times a week. I've started back playing 5 aside two weeks ago since it was reopened. I've had meals out, I've been for drinks. But because I've followed the cleanliness, social distancing and mask wearing rules, despite carrying on relatively normally I haven't caught it yet as far as I know. Its just about being sensible.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, String fellow said:

I don't buy into the idea that members of the younger generation are having their futures ruined by steps to control the virus. It's the virus itself that could ruin their futures, as a result of catching it and possibly suffering long-term health damage. Furthermore, any gaps in their education can be filled in later on, especially if, like me, they learn almost everything they need to know in life during adulthood. And that's true more than ever now, thanks to the internet.

I left school so 16 and agree to a certain extent.

The 'filling in the gaps later on' causes a big knock on effect though. We've already seen the palaver with this years exams and any further suspension to schooling will set the kids back even further. 

And the internet is no substitute for classroom learning imo. Kids need social interaction during the day as they spend all evening on devices. 

I say we keep them all at school regardless. They've had enough turmoil this year and if they're unlucky enough to contract Covid then my understanding is the odds are they'll get over it without any long term damage.

4 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I left school so 16 and agree to a certain extent.

The 'filling in the gaps later on' causes a big knock on effect though. We've already seen the palaver with this years exams and any further suspension to schooling will set the kids back even further. 

And the internet is no substitute for classroom learning imo. Kids need social interaction during the day as they spend all evening on devices. 

I say we keep them all at school regardless. They've had enough turmoil this year and if they're unlucky enough to contract Covid then my understanding is the odds are they'll get over it without any long term damage.

I agree to an extent but if the virus is running rampant through the population schools will be the transmission vector. 

They should remain open only as long as its safe to be open. Whilst the kids may get over it there are school staff and families that might not. They shouldn't be sacrificed. 

4 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I agree to an extent but if the virus is running rampant through the population schools will be the transmission vector. 

Will they? Do we know that for a fact? 

4 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

They should remain open only as long as its safe to be open. Whilst the kids may get over it there are school staff and families that might not. They shouldn't be sacrificed. 

I can only talk about my kids secondary school but their year groups are arranged in 'bubbles' and they have to wear washable masks in corridors and spaces where social distancing isn't possible as well as numerous other safe measures.

Annoys me a bit that kids get the 'blame' for the virus spreading when you've got thousands of pricks protesting in London and loads of adults (and workplaces) not following the rules. 

2 minutes ago, Izzy said:

That's me speculating but I believe it to be very likely the case. 

I've been in schools since the reopening and whilst there are bubbles and masks and so on you'd be a fool to believe them to be risk free. 

Huge gatherings of people in the same rooms all day and kids that are very likely to be in physical contact. 

And, again, families of children and school staff really shouldn't be seen as collateral. 

1 minute ago, foxile5 said:

That's me speculating but I believe it to be very likely the case. 

I've been in schools since the reopening and whilst there are bubbles and masks and so on you'd be a fool to believe them to be risk free. 

Never suggested for a minute that they're risk free. No parts of society are risk free are they?

1 minute ago, foxile5 said:

Huge gatherings of people in the same rooms all day and kids that are very likely to be in physical contact. 

And, again, families of children and school staff really shouldn't be seen as collateral. 

I don't think anyone is suggesting they're seen as 'collateral'. There's mass gatherings happening all day in supermarkets, shops, workplaces, public transport etc. so why should school kids be singled out? 

13 minutes ago, Izzy said:

I can only talk about my kids secondary school but their year groups are arranged in 'bubbles' and they have to wear washable masks in corridors and spaces where social distancing isn't possible as well as numerous other safe measures.

Annoys me a bit that kids get the 'blame' for the virus spreading when you've got thousands of pricks protesting in London and loads of adults (and workplaces) not following the rules. 

Tbf I don’t think it’s blame on Kids. Kids are kids. The behaviour changes required are near impossible. You just have to accept that children will pass the virus on 

• Like 1