Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

5 hours ago, WigstonWanderer said:

If lockdowns don’t work I have no idea how you explain what Melbourne have done in reducing daily positives down from over 700 2 or 3 months ago to 1 today.

There is no question here of herd immunity kicking in as there have been nowhere near enough infections.

Disinformation in this thread continues :(

Surely people saying lockdowns don’t work mean long term.  Obviously they reduce numbers whilst everyone is staying at home watching the economy get wrecked. It’s what happens after the lockdown ends that matters. 

27 minutes ago, MonmoreStef said:

Surely people saying lockdowns don’t work mean long term.  Obviously they reduce numbers whilst everyone is staying at home watching the economy get wrecked. It’s what happens after the lockdown ends that matters. 

To be honest I’ve no idea what they’re saying.

In WA we had an initial lockdown, eliminated the virus and have had 6 months virus free to pretty much resume normal life. Hopefully Victoria can now open up safely as NSW have done, with a robust test and trace system to snuff out any new cases. I accept that it may not be a suitable strategy everywhere, but to simply deny that it can work is nonsense.

The UK managed to get infections down to a fairly low level back in August, but opened up before a sufficiently robust contact tracing & isolation system was in place, so that window of opportunity seems to have past. What remains is at least a requirement to keep the NHS from being overwhelmed, and lockdowns of some sort seem to be the only tool in Bozo’s kit,

1 minute ago, WigstonWanderer said:

In WA we had an initial lockdown, eliminated the virus and have had 6 months virus free to pretty much resume normal life. Hopefully Victoria can now open up safely as NSW have done, with a robust test and trace system to snuff out any new cases. I accept that it may not be a suitable strategy everywhere, but to simply deny that it can work is nonsense.

The UK managed to get infections down to a fairly low level back in August, but opened up before a sufficiently robust contact tracing & isolation system was in place, so that window of opportunity seems to have past. What remains is at least a requirement to keep the NHS from being overwhelmed, and lockdowns of some sort seem to be the only tool in Bozo’s kit,

I think NZ is going to be an interesting country to watch. Remarkably well to keep cases down and have signs of normal life (including huge crowds at the rugby). Economy downturn historical but will it be a quick turnaround when the country is ready to go again?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

What pubs and bars don’t serve food of some kind these days anyway?

Can’t imagine there will be many that would close under “Very High” restrictions

Even Oddbar has a menu out front.

• Haha 2

Guest Harrydc
25 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Can’t imagine there will be many that would close under “Very High” restrictions

There are many.. Every working man's club across the country for a start. Micro pubs. Thousands. 

1 hour ago, WigstonWanderer said:

I saw last week that there was a day in July when the UK and Victoria essentially recorded the same number of cases, although obviously the UK's population is 10x that of Victoria so was in a much better position. Victoria now records 1 case a day, the UK 15000.

We got ourselves into a reasonably good position and wasted it by being too eager to get going again and spending £12bn on a system that is useless. Public health and economic success are so heavily interlinked and being keen to start the economy in the summer will deliver far more economic hardship than was necessary. In fact, I'm not sure I've seen a respectable economist say any different yet but still you get screeching about 'the economy' every time there's a public health intervention (that's not to say anything of the value of the specific interventions).

I'm not saying winter was going to be a breeze, but we might have at least made it to winter

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

My local is a Stonehouse pub, serves food but is closed. I thought might fight it and try and navigate the rules but unless every customer buys a meal then you have to close. 

1 hour ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

If my pub is anything to go by those in tier 3 will all be closing as it'll be more beneficial. I'm in tier 2 and my pub took 88 quid yesterday between 11 and 5, that's a downturn of over 90% from previous weeks, which were already down on normal. So God knows how much money we lost on the day. But we can't close because we'd have no financial help. It must be the same for people up and down the land, these restrictions are absolutely crippling and its only going to get worse as far as I can tell. They need to shut the pubs and give them some money to protect them or lift the restrictions. 

There will be **** all left when all this is over.

9 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

hold tight we are about to go into Oblivion with another national lockdown coming soon.

today NHS England > 

Tested positive for COVID-19 at time of death - 134

So these people could be dying of other causes but we are putting it down to Covid, is this right?

Andy Burnham is pleading poverty for Manchester, because he wanted £65M whilst the government offered £60M. Perhaps he needs reminding that one of his city's football clubs paid LCFC £80M for one defender! He's also moaning that Tier 2 restrictions haven't reduced the increase in COVID-19 cases. That alone should be a good enough reason for moving to Tier 3.

8 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

And what happens when tier 3 is ineffective?

Technically, Tier 3 isn’t one set of rules like Tiers 1 and 2 are. It’s more a licence to do what’s needed to bring new cases down. The definition of “What’s needed” would then be adapted to the specifics of the area.

In theory, anyway.

4 minutes ago, Dunge said:

Technically, Tier 3 isn’t one set of rules like Tiers 1 and 2 are. It’s more a licence to do what’s needed to bring new cases down. The definition of “What’s needed” would then be adapted to the specifics of the area.

In theory, anyway.

It needs a tag tbf, tier 3 xl or tier 3 max. Give it a bit of punch.

• Haha 1