Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 minute ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

We're just going round in circles though aren't we? Lockdown to protect the NHS, but no effort made to recruit more staff (to even the basic wards, not the ICUs before someone jumps down my throat), Nightingale hospitals built to take some of the capacity, but no toilet facilities and no staff to run them, so we need to lockdown and wait for this vaccine to save us, that'll take another 6 months, but now there's a new strain which might mean the vaccine is pointless, so we should have started a huge NHS recruitment campaign over 9 months ago and built more hospitals in order to cope with the higher cases and the remand for NHS beds.

As it is, if this 'strain' is real and serious and might have an effect on the vaccine, then we've just wasted almost a year bumbling around doing nothing. We could have had thousands of new NHS staff halfway through even the basic training (which I believe is two years) by now.

I read this earlier today...

NHS hospital bed numbers | The King's Fund

The govt has underfunded the public sector for far too long.  The education system is equally underfunded.  Everything is run to the limit.

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

Issue with this country right here. It's always someone else's fault. Take responsibility of your own actions rather than complaining about everyone else's. 

Exactly this. Seeing a way around the restrictions is on those breaking them, don’t try and shift blame. It is pathetic.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

How would that help precisely?

Leading by example springs to mind. You can't expect people to take the rules seriously when you've got Ferguson shagging a married woman on the same day he's on television telling us we need to socially distance and limit our contact to households. You can't expect people to listen to the Government when Cummings breaks the rules (which I defended at the time I will add), gets let off and is rewarded with a 40k pay rise. We've got MPs travelling on trains after getting positive tests, we've got MPs attending 'Christmas Business parties' in swanky London bars with 26 other people. It appears if you have money or a bit of power in this country then you're allowed to do whatever you want.

Just now, UniFox21 said:

Issue with this country right here. It's always someone else's fault. Take responsibility of your own actions rather than complaining about everyone else's. 

I've openly admitted to flouting the rules for months, so I'm not complaining. I'm just saying I can see why some people are pissed off with these new rules. If you fly first class to Barbados for a buisness meeting that's allowed, but you aren't allowed to see both your seperated elderly parents because it's mixing different households in two seperate bubbles (You probably can I'm just using this as a stupid example)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Would love to know if all those people continually lambasting the government have, without fail, been adhering to the guidance.

Please don’t waste my time with the ‘mixed messages’ get out bull shyte :rolleyes:

You mean don't go to work, go to work, don't take public transport, go to work, don't go to work, stay indoors, if you can go to work, go to work, don't go to work, go outside, don't go outside and then we will or won't,..

3 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

They were put in tier 2 with having lower infection rates. This tier 4 is from this quicker spreading variant.

I said at the time it was madness to put them in tier 2. Their rates were similar to Manchester and a few other places in tier 3, but I digress. London is a unique city in England. They way people travel is different to anywhere else, there is no way places should have reopened with workers and customers mixing on the tube etc it was always going to spike again.

Just now, Dahnsouff said:

Exactly this. Seeing a way around the restrictions is on those breaking them, don’t try and shift blame. It is pathetic.

You're the one who appears to be blaming 'rule breakers' for this virus spreading? Yet it's most commonly spread in schools, universities, colleges and workplaces, where it's impossible to social distance...

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

People aren't following them though.  A lot of people are pretending to, they've got the mask and everything, but for one obscenely common example I witness on a minute by minute basis dealing with customers is that's where the effort stops, they'll walk into the shop with it under their nose, I'll ask them to pull it up, then within seconds it's back under their nose from talking because they never bothered making adjustments to ensure a good fit since it's just something they wear to stop people bugging them.  It's infuriating.  

Well, in tier 4 they're now all shut, as are the schools for two weeks.  So the non-mask wearers are struggling for places to congregate.  If figures don't improve what does tier 4 evolve into?  There's literally nowhere else to go with the restrictions in tier 4.  You can't then go blaming people either.

1 minute ago, RonnieTodger said:

This doesn’t affect my Christmas, but it’s still really pissed me off.

The ****ing arbitrary nonsense rules have undermined every single key decision they’ve made, and this Christmas **** up is the perfect way to round the year off. 

How does London go from tier 2, straight to tier 4? 

How can you be allowed to go around your family’s house on Christmas Day alone, but not spend Christmas Eve or Boxing Day there? 

Spineless incompetent willy pullers. Either ban Christmas or don’t. 

you can't catch it on Christmas day only boxing day, christmas eve and new years eve etc.. it ****s off to the north pole for a days rest

• Haha 1

Just now, Leicester_Loyal said:

Leading by example springs to mind. You can't expect people to take the rules seriously when you've got Ferguson shagging a married woman on the same day he's on television telling us we need to socially distance and limit our contact to households. You can't expect people to listen to the Government when Cummings breaks the rules (which I defended at the time I will add), gets let off and is rewarded with a 40k pay rise. We've got MPs travelling on trains after getting positive tests, we've got MPs attending 'Christmas Business parties' in swanky London bars with 26 other people. It appears if you have money or a bit of power in this country then you're allowed to do whatever you want.

I've openly admitted to flouting the rules for months, so I'm not complaining. I'm just saying I can see why some people are pissed off with these new rules. If you fly first class to Barbados for a buisness meeting that's allowed, but you aren't allowed to see both your seperated elderly parents because it's mixing different households in two seperate bubbles (You probably can I'm just using this as a stupid example)

Bollocks.  It’s just excuse making. I refuse to believe that most people can see the intent, and they just don’t like what following the restrictions would entail.

We are a democracy not some totalitarian society, we should never expect our leaders to be omniscient or omnipotent. We are supposed to make self aware judgements!!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I agree some of the rules are stupid, I can't argue against that as there is no logic in some.

My main gripe is people using other's ignorance of rules as justification of breaking them themselves. 

5 minutes ago, Facecloth said:

I said at the time it was madness to put them in tier 2. Their rates were similar to Manchester and a few other places in tier 3, but I digress. London is a unique city in England. They way people travel is different to anywhere else, there is no way places should have reopened with workers and customers mixing on the tube etc it was always going to spike again.

I agree that it was likely stupid to release them into tier 2 when they did, and you're spot on with your description of it. But, I can't blame them for dropping them into tier 4.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I read this earlier today...

NHS hospital bed numbers | The King's Fund

The govt has underfunded the public sector for far too long.  The education system is equally underfunded.  Everything is run to the limit.

The NHS is basically run on a just in time basis as far as beds are concerned based on historical requirements, it has to be, or we'd have ten's of thousands of beds lying empty for half the year. It's only now it's become a major problem, but the shocking thing is that fvck all has been done over the last 10 months to sort it out fully. What moron builds a bunch of hospitals and then basically doesn't go on a recruitment drive in order to staff them.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

I agree some of the rules are stupid, I can't argue against that as there is no logic in some.

My main gripe is people using other's ignorance of rules as justification of breaking them themselves. 

I agree that it was likely stupid to release them into tier 2 when they did, and you're spot on with your description of it. But, I can't blame them for dropping them into tier 4.

Oh yeah they should be in tier 4, but again they are always a little bit behind where they should be. Always reactionary and reacting too late.

15 minutes ago, Dahnsouff said:

Well this decision affecting Christmas is very much linked to the Government’s choice to place London originally in Tier 2 despite overwhelming evidence otherwise. 

Therefore allowing three weeks of football crowds, shopping, restaurants etc. 

Apparently according to the press conference, the variant was found in Kent back in late September. If we use the same rationale at the moment of ‘we only know so much about it’, why the feck weren’t they putting the strongest restrictions in those areas from December 2nd.  More troubling was the continued line from the Govt of the 5 day relaxation, despite knowledge of this warning sign alongside a raft of others. 

• Like 1