Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

33 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Any number of people flooding out of London is irrelevant.  They will put everyone in tier 4 regardless.  This is an experiment to see how the latest measure takes effect.  You can't blame people leaving London!

Well you can if the transmission of a virus that is known pass between people more easily, suddenly accelerates across the UK because people have taken it from the south east to the rest of the country. 

It wasn't hard messaging to understand was it. DONT travel outside of a tier 4 area.  

I'm affected by the new restrictions.  My Christmas is cancelled. My kids won't see grandparents as I have the kids on boxing day. But guess what, I'm adhering to the guidelines. 

As it turns out, my father in law is in the extremely vulnerable category and we are his support bubble. So since march, I haven't been to the pub, haven't been out for a meal, haven't been on holiday. Haven't gone to the shops, haven't travelled to the coast.

All to protect him. 

But clearly we live in a society where we are all happy to clap the nurses, but not stick to rules when it directly impacts our plans.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Any number of people flooding out of London is irrelevant.  They will put everyone in tier 4 regardless.  This is an experiment to see how the latest measure takes effect.  You can't blame people leaving London!

Flippant, so assume joking.

43 minutes ago, MonmoreStef said:

Not just London as Peterborough are in tier 4. No real warning and banged into a new tier.  

Before they've given 2 or 3 days notice and been laughed at when people ignore the rules or go mad in the days before. I'm not defending their actions, simply say we had it the other way and they were criticised. 

48 minutes ago, Samilktray said:

I think it’s very easy to criticise those people leaving London if you’re spending Christmas with people you love. Must be absolutely grim being alone this time of year for anyone. Those people aren’t the real problem here tbh 

It was an awful position to be put in, and I sympathise with the stress and panic those people must've been put under.

But, I will say from a purely theoretical point, that we've been told the South and SE have this new easily transmissible strain and people are packing onto trains and going to spend time with family. 

Even a lockdown announced for today 3 or 4 days ago would've led to the same result.

12 hours ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

“There undoubtedly morons in all communities. But the postcode stats don't lie and nor do my own eyes from what I've seen of my neighbours and my parents neighbours.

There are vast sections of the Asian community that have totally ignored social distancing and social bubbles since day 1. Rules are for other people in many people's eyes. “

Above are your comments immediately after the Leicester lockdown was announced. You’ve now admitted that you followed the same principles of the “vast” amount of Asian people (vast being based on seeing your and your parents neighbours actions) you criticised back then. 

You may think you’re undertaking a “common sense” approach. However, it takes one contact, with one individual to then have contact with someone “at risk” to place this country at risk. Now, you thanked “sections of the Asian community” (ps Asia is actually a vast area it probably needs to be reduced as to who you’re referring to) for the second Leicester lockdown. Do we thank “people like you” for the latest restrictions ? 

Racist as well as a moron lol

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Had a test this morning. Not pleasant but certainly doable. Mostly for my own peace of mind following a couple of groups isolating at the school I've been at. 

Could have done without being treated like a muppet by some of the staff but hey ho. 

Checked case numbers - 15 last week in the area I work in (north Manchester school) and 12 in my Peak District area. Really don't feel too concerned, at this point. 

14 hours ago, Paninistickers said:

This is what sends me potty. Literally from day 1, I haven't adhered to any government law. I can work things out for myself. I dont need that posh amoral  caant to tell me what to do and not to do. 

I've travelled in Leicester lockdown,  been on holidays, been abroad, planes, ignored self isolation, had friends round to stay, been round freinds to stay, had the kids at school, let the kids play with mates, sleepovers l, pubs, restaurants, jogged, cycled etc etc....this govt is a shitshow and I've used my common sense from day 1.

Hands. Face. Space. And having common decency.  Avoided older people. I've neither caught it nor given it to anyone. 

Pin on Quotes

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I think the majority of people are generally following the rules, but making judgement calls here and there using their own common sense. This is how it should be, but you simply can't legislate for the few who flagrantly disregard the rules on a regular basis and don't really see or care about the bigger picture. We're all also human, and we all make mistakes from time to time.

I'm going back to Leicester to see my mum and dad for a few days. I will drive, and I won't be seeing anyone else. I'll be getting a test tomorrow which although is no guarantee, it's about as much as I can do. I've only seen my parents once this year and my sister lives on the other side of the planet - the government can shove it if they think I'm not going to go and see them for Christmas.

The biggest issue here for me is this shambolic self serving government 100%, not the people. The government doesn't give a toss about anyone other than themselves and their mates, and if we're all angry at each other for wanting to see our parents or our kids, I'm sure they'll not mind too much. Diverts attention from how incompetent they are, and how easily they've gotten away with diverting billions of pounds of public money into the coffers of their friends for contracts they are in no way shape or form qualified to deliver.

Good evening my cabinet chums, would any of you care to join me in a festive rendition of divide & conquer? 

• Like 3

The problem here is, as it has been all along, is that a lot of people in the UK and elsewhere (notably the US) are confusing an incompetent government response (which the UK's has been, as has the US) for there needing to be no governmental response at all.

Some restrictions to movement and business have been and are absolutely necessary in order to protect health infrastructure from a collapse that would cost a great deal in both money and lives. That the UK government dropped a bollock implementing it and not looking after people enough does nothing to change the necessity of the restrictions themselves.

The way this has played out in other countries shows that handling the virus and economic concerns can be balanced in a way that can hold things together until mass vaccination is implemented.

NB. If we're talking about racism, take a look at Farage blaming the Chinese as a whole rather than his own government for having to play ball over Christmas.

Edited by leicsmac
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

The problem here is, as it has been all along, is that a lot of people in the UK and elsewhere (notably the US) are confusing an incompetent government response (which the UK's has been, as has the US) for there needing to be no governmental response at all.

Some restrictions to movement and business have been and are absolutely necessary in order to protect health infrastructure from a collapse that would cost a great deal in both money and lives. That the UK government dropped a bollock implementing it and not looking after people enough does nothing to change the necessity of the restrictions themselves.

The way this has played out in other countries shows that handling the virus and economic concerns can be balanced in a way that can hold things together until mass vaccination is implemented.

The government response should have been employ the 90,000 nurses required to man the nightingale hospitals from eastern europe and paid them top whack to entice them here, we wouldn't still be stuck in a position that we need to protect the nhs, by now we would have saved an awful lot of money and an awful lot of lives and the government would be congratulated for having the foresight to put an effective plan into action. Instead we're no better off than 10 months ago. 

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

They might have travelled to London yesterday with no plans to stay over. Then they get shoved in to tier 4 and now go back home? 

Of course that might apply to "some" people. But given the volumes, that's definitely not the case for everyone is it. 

Not least, given the government advice was to avoid contact with others for seven days prior to Christmas, if you were forming a Christmas bubble, then again, they are not sticking to the advice. 

I'm assuming, given that most of the pictures were people catching the last trains out of London, they weren't just casual shoppers either. Unless of course, casual shoppers take suitcases with them. 

14 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

The government response should have been employ the 90,000 nurses required to man the nightingale hospitals from eastern europe and paid them top whack to entice them here, we wouldn't still be stuck in a position that we need to protect the nhs, by now we would have saved an awful lot of money and an awful lot of lives and the government would be congratulated for having the foresight to put an effective plan into action. Instead we're no better off than 10 months ago. 

Add to that schemes that would ensure infrastructure for people working from home (and other measures that would make people simply not have to break the restrictions because they were worried about money) and more aggressive localised tracking of cases and that's pretty much there, yes.

3 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

That's just it, the whole way through this he's been reacting to events, and way too late, rather than planning for them. A pandemic is number ONE on the UK's risk register, surely they had a plan in place? New Zealand, South Korea and countries in that region have done well for many reasons, a major one being that they have experience of localised SARS outbreaks going back decades. So they know what to do on day one. And they treated it seriously. One of my mates from my Auckland days still lives there, and they went into lockdown fast and hard. $300 fines for not wearing a mask. Family in France had to have a real reason for being out of the house or a €600 fine. Here? Lockdown comes in and thousands of people decide to go on a jolly to Matlock Bath. No consequences. "Please don't do that". Simply not good enough. 

Proactive and reactive is exactly the difference and the issue here.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

It hasn't taken long for someone to critically dissect yesterday's latest press conference of doom...

20201220_121240.jpg

20201220_121317.jpg

20201220_121339.jpg

20201220_121411.jpg

What he says about it being more transmittable but less severe (high frequency, low severity) and herd immunity is interesting. You'd think they know what they're talking about to. It passes the 'logic' test.

As for it definitely being less serious though; do we know this? Plenty hospitalised down here.

8 minutes ago, leicsmac said:

Add to that schemes that would ensure infrastructure for people working from home (and other measures that would make people simply not have to break the restrictions because they were worried about money) and more aggressive localised tracking of cases and that's pretty much there, yes.

Proactive and reactive is exactly the difference and the issue here.

Dead right, a pro-active government would have had the foresight to put measures in place from the off, surely they actually talk to leaders from New Zealand etc and know what measures should be put in place in the event of what is really the only threat to mankind. All this lot, and their predecessors going back to post Thatcher have done is managed something that was already there and reacted to situations, and managing anything is not that hard to do if you plan properly. They're not leaders. It's really no difference to Pearson and Ranieri. 

Edited by yorkie1999