Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

3 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Our only chance was to close the borders in March and try to eradicate it like New Zealand and part of Australia has. Yes that bring its own limitations, we'd be unable to leave the country without strict isolation periods but I'd take that now. 

What were you planning to eat if you closed the borders?

2 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

You can allow cargo planes and shipping containers in just not passenger planes and ferry. It was very easy to do and we could have been like Australia or New Zeland but instead the country has had it. 

9 minutes ago, Bryn said:

This is the problem, everyone is jaded and no-one listens to the Government anymore.

This is absolutely dreadful news. The government have honestly euphemised it. The new strain is equally lethal, far more infective and affects the target of the Pfizer vaccine. I think this is the biggest setback we've had since all this started and there is serious risk of COVID becoming endemic to the UK and evading our vaccines. We ought to be right back into full national lockdown until we're clear of the effect it has on vaccination and until a large proportion of the population is vaccinated.

But the majority aren't goinng to care.

Is there ever a point when you give up lockdown and let it ride?  It's already endemic.  You can't get round that.  To clear it from the UK by lockdown would by nature also clear common colds and flu, also transmissible virus.  It is not going to happen.

Suppose we lock down for 5 years?  By that time, most of the people who would have died of coronavirus wiill have died of something else.  /But there will be a new bunch of vulnerable people, perhaps people who would not have died of coronavirus if they had got it 5 years earlier, who will die this time - so we need another 5 years lockdown, and another, ad infinitum.

If the vaccine works, we're OK.  But if it doesn't work, we need to think about other things rather than blithely assuming that lockdown is a wonderful panacea and nothing could do better.  

I'm not saying that lockdown right now is wrong.  But we have to have another plan, becaus elockdown is not a solution and I don't think they are claiming it is.  Lockdown is a short term measure while we decide what to do.

• Like 2

What difference does it make if I mix with the same household for one day, or three days, if we're all basically just indoors the entire time? I went in to next today and it was absolutely rammed, city centres are completely rammed. How do they expect people to go to an absolutely full boots to shop but not see their parents for Christmas? What a farce. 

• Like 2

Just now, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

What difference does it make if I mix with the same household for one day, or three days, if we're all basically just indoors the entire time? I went in to next today and it was absolutely rammed, city centres are completely rammed. How do they expect people to go to an absolutely full boots to shop but not see their parents for Christmas? What a farce. 

Money. 

21 hours ago, Kingleicester said:

Well it depends if mystic meg is on his team, if not, there is no chance borris knows if cases are going to go up or down in the nx week, obviously with all the mixing at Christmas they will go up then, but they might go down before that, 

Care to continue? 

1 minute ago, dsr-burnley said:

Is there ever a point when you give up lockdown and let it ride?

Yes, I believe there is. It absolutely is not when there are three clinically approved vaccines ready for distribution. This isn't the time for gambles.

If there was still no vaccine or treatment on the horizon then yes, clearly we would have to be looking at how to live alongside the virus.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

Are those in New Zealand and Australia eating whatever they can find? 

I know there are  many reasons why we chose not to follow that path and it might have been impossible for all I know but I can help but feel massive jealousy at this point. Even if they did go through a pretty strict lockdown. 

What gets me is this is the same government who are ruining businesses and peoples mental health to 'protect the vulnerable and the NHS', the exact 2 things near every policy this government has made, up until this pandemic, to ruin, there comes a point incompetence can only explain so much, at some point it becomes sinister. 

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, rachhere said:

I think the data is already there? The issue is how late in the day they are acting 

What I mean is, should the tier 4 restrictions fail, which is a distinct possibility, they will try and justify it's effectiveness by using the data in a different way.  Either that or blame people for "not following the rules".

25 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

I think they'll struggle to find the data to back up the tier 4 decision in two weeks time but we shall see.  No doubt they'll give it a good go.

They've made a call based upon the largely increased transmission. If they do nothing, they'll be slated. If they do something,  they're slated. So may as well try to reduce the spread. 

• Like 1

Just now, Legend_in_blue said:

What I mean is, should the tier 4 restrictions fail, which is a distinct possibility, they will try and justify it's effectiveness by using the data in a different way.  Either that or blame people for "not following the rules".

People aren't following them though.  A lot of people are pretending to, they've got the mask and everything, but for one obscenely common example I witness on a minute by minute basis dealing with customers is that's where the effort stops, they'll walk into the shop with it under their nose, I'll ask them to pull it up, then within seconds it's back under their nose from talking because they never bothered making adjustments to ensure a good fit since it's just something they wear to stop people bugging them.  It's infuriating.  

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dahnsouff said:

Would love to know if all those people continually lambasting the government have, without fail, been adhering to the guidance.

Please don’t waste my time with the ‘mixed messages’ get out bull shyte :rolleyes:

It might help if the Government, their advisors and their scientists weren't continually breaking their own guidancelol

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Harrydc said:

It's incredibly sad. I'll say it again. 

10 months into a 3 week flatten the curve. 

Merry Christmas. 

You're aware things can change right? 10 months ago we knew **** all about this virus, and thought we'd be able to have it beat by summer.

That hasn't been the case, but we've made a tonne of progress. 

Maybe try looking at things in a positive sense. We have a vaccine, and 2 more potentially to be used soon. 

You've said yourself this thread brings you down, but every single post you make is knocking or shitting on something. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1