Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

2 minutes ago, ian__marshall said:

But you have to work with the facts surely. There's no evidence whatsoever that the vaccine is not effective at containing this strain.

Even if it was proven, as mentioned in my last post the mode of action of all the vaccines in development show good efficacy so we know how to contain the virus regardless of its genetic make-up. As we saw with the very first outbreak of Covid 19 in China, the virus was genetically profiled within 48 hours so we can profile it very quickly. Once you have this data the vaccine can then be adapted so there is light at the end of the tunnel. 

Said tunnel is just staffed by a group of incompetent cock wombles.

28 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

On the other hand should the Pfizer vaccine prove ineffective on any new strain Vallance's £600k shareholding in Pfizer is bound to take a hit.  But there's no conflict of interest, Hancock says so.  :thumbup:

A bit misleading. Vallance owns £600k worth of GSK shares not Pfizer. GSK and Pfizers consumer healthcare are merged into one with GSK owning the majority. It still could definitely be considered a conflict of interest but it's worth stating the actual facts rather than twisting them to make them sound worse.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ian__marshall said:

But you have to work with the facts surely. There's no evidence whatsoever that the vaccine is not effective at containing this strain.

Even if it was proven, as mentioned in my last post the mode of action of all the vaccines in development show good efficacy so we know how to contain the virus regardless of its genetic make-up. As we saw with the very first outbreak of Covid 19 in China, the virus was genetically profiled within 48 hours so we can profile it very quickly. Once you have this data the vaccine can then be adapted so there is light at the end of the tunnel. 

There isn't enough data to draw a conclusion, that's very different to it being disproven.

The Pfizer vaccine is literally an mRNA copy of the spike, you can't just pretend there isn't a risk of that vaccine being compromised.

If the choice is to prepare for the worst, or do **** all, I choose the former. You know this, you're arguing the toss for the sake it. Lockdown, get the vaccine out, get the national viral load down to reduce the risk of further clinically significant mutations. With a definitive solution this ****ing close any other approach is lunacy.

9 minutes ago, peach0000 said:

A bit misleading. Vallance owns £600k worth of GSK shares not Pfizer. GSK and Pfizers consumer healthcare are merged into one with GSK owning the majority. It still could definitely be considered a conflict of interest but it's worth stating the actual facts rather than twisting them to make them sound worse.

There's been a few times posters have written facts without their full context to put things in a way to suit their needs rather than how they actually are.

For sure this could be a conflict of interest, but the way it is compared to the way presented are very different.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jon the Hat said:

What were you planning to eat if you closed the borders?

You do understand that Australia, and as far as I know NZ, have not stopped trade in either direction during the whole pandemic, right? 

Having said that, I’m not sure it would have been possible for the UK as international trade employs too many lorries whose drivers would surely have spread the virus. Australian imports and exports are by air and sea, much easier to maintain quarantine with appropriate protocols.

There has been a leakage in Sydney in the last week or so involving flight crews by the looks of it. Hopefully their contact tracing system will sort it out, but it looks quite serious.

11 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Cvnt. 

This just goes to show the idiots we have to deal with. Easy to blame someone for a global pandemic and tar an entire group/region. Similar approach for a minority on here when Leicester went into lockdown again if you recall that thread. People like this need to go back under their rock. Pathetic.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

On the other hand should the Pfizer vaccine prove ineffective on any new strain Vallance's £600k shareholding in Pfizer is bound to take a hit.  But there's no conflict of interest, Hancock says so.  :thumbup:

He has long term incentive share rights yet to vest in GlaxoSmithkline where he was head of drug discovery before he joined the government.  Not Pfizer.

14 minutes ago, WigstonWanderer said:

You do understand that Australia, and as far as I know NZ, have not stopped trade in either direction during the whole pandemic, right? 

Having said that, I’m not sure it would have been possible for the UK as international trade employs too many lorries whose drivers would surely have spread the virus. Australian imports and exports are by air and sea, much easier to maintain quarantine with appropriate protocols.

There has been a leakage in Sydney in the last week or so involving flight crews by the looks of it. Hopefully their contact tracing system will sort it out, but it looks quite serious.

Australia imports very little of its food, but yes they have continued to import things, however if you look at a map you will see no roads or ferries bringing in trucks and drivers.  

2 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Well, in tier 4 they're now all shut, as are the schools for two weeks.  So the non-mask wearers are struggling for places to congregate.  If figures don't improve what does tier 4 evolve into?  There's literally nowhere else to go with the restrictions in tier 4.  You can't then go blaming people either.

You're missing my point.  These people are 'mask wearers', they're just rendering their masks useless by not fixing them properly and don't seem all that fussed.  This is how it keeps getting worse.

Edited by Carl the Llama
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Would love to know if all those people continually lambasting the government have, without fail, been adhering to the guidance.

Please don’t waste my time with the ‘mixed messages’ get out bull shyte :rolleyes:

Personally yes even though its changing every 5 minutes.

3 hours ago, Dahnsouff said:

Would love to know if all those people continually lambasting the government have, without fail, been adhering to the guidance.

Please don’t waste my time with the ‘mixed messages’ get out bull shyte :rolleyes:

This is what sends me potty. Literally from day 1, I haven't adhered to any government law. I can work things out for myself. I dont need that posh amoral  caant to tell me what to do and not to do. 

I've travelled in Leicester lockdown,  been on holidays, been abroad, planes, ignored self isolation, had friends round to stay, been round freinds to stay, had the kids at school, let the kids play with mates, sleepovers l, pubs, restaurants, jogged, cycled etc etc....this govt is a shitshow and I've used my common sense from day 1.

Hands. Face. Space. And having common decency.  Avoided older people. I've neither caught it nor given it to anyone. 

• Like 2