Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 minute ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Considering how many people I know who have been conceived or have conceived while on the pill then yes I do. 

I know my analogy was borderline daft, it was on purpose. Yes risks exist in life but there are more problems and conflicting things coming out about this astra vaccine all the time and it makes me uncomfortable, is that so ridiculous? 

Every individual has their own tolerability of risk which is understandable and acceptable and from that perspective, no it isn't ridiculous.

I think, and people have already articulated this adequately above, was that your example wasn't borderline daft, it was irrational to anyone with an appreciation of risk assessments and not the "I'll do my own risk assessment" that some people like to use in this thread (I'm being kind on the example you gave).  Given the previous discussions on this thread, you'd clearly indicated you weren't comfortable taking this specific vaccine despite medical regulators saying the risks were tolerable. Again, up to you, it's the individuals decision.  I think where myself and others are raising eyebrows, is using unproven arguments (https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/06/ema-denies-already-finding-causal-link-astrazeneca-vaccine-blood-clots) to support your previous prejudice against this specific vaccine seems a bit misplaced.

9 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

Considering how many people I know who have been conceived or have conceived while on the pill then yes I do. 

I know my analogy was borderline daft, it was on purpose. Yes risks exist in life but there are more problems and conflicting things coming out about this astra vaccine all the time and it makes me uncomfortable, is that so ridiculous? 

The biggest problem is that we are all still guinea pigs. None of the vaccines have been rigorously tested and side effects monitored over longer periods. Of course if you are over 50 or at high risk of Covid impacting you severely, then you may feel a benefit of taking a risk on the vaccine. It has of course gone through lots of testing to get to this stage so there is some confidence that it should be OK but with fairly limited data, it is hard to give someone 100% confidence that it is good for them.

And of course this applies to any vaccine. The other ones may have more/less/same side issues as Astra Zeneca's vaccine. I am sure in 5 years time we can all look back and say how good/bad some of them were and whether it was the right choice. Right now, people have to make their own judgement based on data available to them and what their own perceived risk is.

6 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Probably because his name is Boris which is unusual. If he was called Tony, Gordon, John or Dave (or Theresa) then most probably the public wouldn't be on first name terms. 

Not many famous Boris' are there? A tennis player and Frankenstein. 

It might have something to do with my age but I've never met someone called Theresa. I've certainly never met anyone called Kier, yet I've never heard anyone call Kier Starmer by his first name. 

32 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

21 minutes ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

For what it's worth I am petrified of flying and avoid it at all costs. I don't like needles either. Got myself vaccinated as an adult but by no means enjoyed it. 

Everyone has their own limits and fears, it seems you freely admit you personally are at the far lower end of the risk taking spectrum and that's your prerogative. 

7 hours ago, Spudulike said:

Probably because his name is Boris which is unusual. If he was called Tony, Gordon, John or Dave (or Theresa) then most probably the public wouldn't be on first name terms. 

Not many famous Boris' are there? A tennis player and Frankenstein. 

Tried to rack my only remaining brain cell for others with first name of Boris. Apart from Becker and Karloff already mentioned, all I could remember was Yeltsin (former Russian president), Pasternak (author of Dr. Zhivago) and Godunov (opera by Mussorgsky). So arguably, Mr. Johnson is in good company, unlike Mr. Starmer, whose only namesake seems to be another Labour party leader, Mr. Hardie.

4 hours ago, String fellow said:

Being a 'weirdo' is sometimes a good thing. It may even be regarded as a compliment, especially if you're a weirdo!   

https://listverse.com/2017/06/10/10-surprising-reasons-that-smart-people-are-weird/

Lots of things seem weird to me, including the fact there are at least three different forms of nomenclature used to describe the variants of SARS-CoV-2. We have the GISAID clades, the Nextstrain clades and the Pango lineages. When the world is united against a common enemy, you'd expect it to unite under one method of describing the virus's pathogenesis. 

You really will say anything to defend and deflect away from Boris, won't you?

• Like 4

20 deaths announced today, that's 66 in the past 4 days, average of 16.5 a day.

2.3k cases, 3rd day in a row its been less than 3k.

No updates for the hospital statistics yet, I'd imagine by the time they update them they'll be massively lower as well (last updated 1st April).

Edited by Leicester_Loyal
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, String fellow said:

And you sir will say anything to attack the PM, whatever he does or says, or doesn't do or doesn't say.

If you read back, I actually praised the government/PM for the vaccination rollout programme. So that doesn't really hold true, does it?

18 minutes ago, StanSP said:

If you read back, I actually praised the government/PM for the vaccination rollout programme. So that doesn't really hold true, does it?

Well, if you read back through my old messages, you'll also find that I've been critical of the PM over certain issues, such as the slowness of the introduction of the first lock-down and his handling of the Cummings affair. So your statement doesn't hold true either, does it?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I’m not sure how I feel about these ‘passports’ or ‘certificates’ for COVID. I get it that they have to do something to get things back to normal, just not sure how I feel about having to have to show one (if I ever get on the vaccine list) everywhere I go. 

What I struggle to understand with all this passport business is by the time they're thinking we'll need to show them things should be under control. Yet when I went Christmas shopping places were absolutely rammed, no or little distancing, plenty not wearing masks but that was supposed to be okay at the time, when the risk was a damn sight higher than it will be come June when the weather is warm and 10s of millions of people will have been vaccinated. 

What's annoying is seeing people wearing face masks inappropriately - such as only covering the mouth or even not covering the mouth and nose at all - in crowded places.

Might as well give up with the mask-wearing now..

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve_Guppy_Left_Foot said:

What I struggle to understand with all this passport business is by the time they're thinking we'll need to show them things should be under control. Yet when I went Christmas shopping places were absolutely rammed, no or little distancing, plenty not wearing masks but that was supposed to be okay at the time, when the risk was a damn sight higher than it will be come June when the weather is warm and 10s of millions of people will have been vaccinated. 

So you're annoyed that we're learning from previous mistakes and suggesting potential resolutions for these?

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Wymsey said:

What's annoying is seeing people wearing face masks inappropriately - such as only covering the mouth or even not covering the mouth and nose at all - in crowded places.

Might as well give up with the mask-wearing now..

It's a massive gear grinder for me, I don't understand how it's difficult to comprehend

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

Does anyone else have a feeling that we’re not being told everything ?  

or are they just planning for the absolute worst so they can’t be accused again of not being prepared .......

Absolutely.

Can you imagine yesterday's press conference starting off with this as Whitty is presenting his data to drive the latest narrative on vaccine takeup?

image.png.07c9e135e91130d9baa2e5178ab51ce3.png

It's in the modelling papers and it's fully part of govt's thinking in easing restrictions.  Can't imagine it'll go down too well on slide 1 modelling these numbers though - best to put a positive spin on it and talk about the rollout instead.

The spreading of fear has subsided somewhat since the middle of last year but has turned into coercion with talk of passports.  

On a side note, if you've been vaccinated, why on earth would you agree to more testing?  It's a never ending cycle of despair.

1 minute ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Absolutely.

Can you imagine yesterday's press conference starting off with this as Whitty is presenting his data to drive the latest narrative on vaccine takeup?

image.png.07c9e135e91130d9baa2e5178ab51ce3.png

It's in the modelling papers and it's fully part of govt's thinking in easing restrictions.  Can't imagine it'll go down too well on slide 1 modelling these numbers though - best to put a positive spin on it and talk about the rollout instead.

The spreading of fear has subsided somewhat since the middle of last year but has turned into coercion with talk of passports.  

On a side note, if you've been vaccinated, why on earth would you agree to more testing?  It's a never ending cycle of despair.

I don’t believe that govt are over reliant on the modelling ......I think they’ve been spooked by things like the AZ vaccine could have v low take up for the under fifties and they have no certainty of other vaccine supply. 

19 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

C'mon Stan mate, it's Boris JOHNSON, always remember the surname, it's hugely important for some folk! lol

Okay, at least I'll give him the courtesy of spelling his name right though... 

:ph34r:

• Haha 4

Guest Harrydc

I honestly feel as if every day is becoming more and more pointless. 

I've suffered anxiety for years, although I manage and have done through this last year, but I'm reaching the end of my tether. 

I've been known as a 'covid sceptic' - now that's not because I want to hurt anyone, or cause any harm. I wear my mask (reluctantly) and I follow the (in my opinion) these pathetic authoritarian rules. Nothing can change my mind or opinion on what's happening. 

One thing I will not be doing is taking the vaccine. 

Never. No one can persuade me otherwise. The prospect of these 'vaccine passports' is a tough one to take. The thought that I will not be able to do the things I used to love because I wont take a vaccine. It's truly disturbing and I've had enough. 

Edited by Harrydc