Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Just saw the Snooker final being at full capacity but it does say "No under-18s, vulnerable adults or pregnant women will be allowed to attend".

I know this is part of testing a way back to having events running but surely that would go down as discrimination against those people. They should not be able to get away with that.

For information, I am not U18, I am not a vulnerable adult and I am not a woman, neither am I interested in watching the Snooker.

Where did you see this? It would be interesting to see the wording.

Or are you on the wind up?!

Edited by Milo

Just saw the Snooker final being at full capacity but it does say "No under-18s, vulnerable adults or pregnant women will be allowed to attend".

I know this is part of testing a way back to having events running but surely that would go down as discrimination against those people. They should not be able to get away with that.

For information, I am not U18, I am not a vulnerable adult and I am not a woman, neither am I interested in watching the Snooker.

I mean given US studies show that being obese is a risk factor for Covid, the number of potential attendees must be pretty small....

1 minute ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Thanks - the only one that can be policed is the under 18's. 

Will be interesting to see how it's worded from the theatre/wpbsa

3 minutes ago, Milo said:

Thanks - the only one that can be policed is the under 18's. 

Will be interesting to see how it's worded from the theatre/wpbsa

Tha's just got me picturing a scenario where there's a bloke on the door getting battered by some fat woman who he thought was pregnant lol

2 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

By that logic everything will always be moot then, because even two doses doesn't provide 100% immunity or protection?

By that logic? It’s a two stage process, not my logic the logic of the egg heads who create the vaccines.

There is a rather large difference between being say 50% effective (first dose) and 95% effective (second dose) isn't there, it's not even ****ing comparable to 95% and 100% is it really. 

Edited by Babylon
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Legend_in_blue said:

If you compare countries, Peru and Brazil for example, Peru has had an extremely strict lockdown, whereas Brazil has not.  Per 1 million people, the death rate in Peru is worse than Brazil's (and the UK is worse than both).    

As has been explained in detail before on this thread, Peru has a very weak and vulnerable healthcare system. For decades it has been underfunded resulting in poor primary care and outmoded outdated hospitals with very low numbers of intensive care beds. Peru also features very highly in the factors that have hampered pandemic responses across Latin America: diverse populations and geographies; deep poverty; cramped, multigenerational housing; and a lack of laboratories for testing. The list is long and, Peru fares much worse than its neighbours.

'Covid deaths' per million do not tell the whole story. In both Brazil and Peru both countries register a much lower number of covid deaths because they are being massively underreported. However, in each case, when you look at the 'total deaths' you will see a huge spike correlating with the pandemic. Since the total number of deaths registered in a week normally follows a predictable pattern, demographers understand that the extra deaths during the pandemic are more significant. 

In contrast, you have also argued for months that UK death rates attributed to the virus are being vastly over reported. 

I guess this is what happens again when you cherry pick data that you don't understand to support a rather tiresome agenda.  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

All this blood clot stuff, even if it is in the minority, have they said when the clots are most likely to happen i.e. Within a certain number of days or weeks? 

I still think it's pretty drastic to cut out a whole age category even if the clots are rare to occur. Good job the Moderna vaccine is about to get going across the UK as perhaps that can make up the numbers lost on the AZ one... 

Feel apathetic to everything covid related now, which I suppose is everything full stop. When the roadmap was announced I was ecstatic but it’s still going to be rubbish after June 21st anyway.
Couldn’t care less about the prospect of sitting in a half empty pub not able to leave my chair, might as well cancel my festival tickets and holiday as well considering I won’t be able to go if a dodgy test decides I’ve got covid lol

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, StanSP said:

All this blood clot stuff, even if it is in the minority, have they said when the clots are most likely to happen i.e. Within a certain number of days or weeks? 

I still think it's pretty drastic to cut out a whole age category even if the clots are rare to occur. Good job the Moderna vaccine is about to get going across the UK as perhaps that can make up the numbers lost on the AZ one... 

they’ve said that all/ majority occurred within 2 weeks of the first dose.

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

This is from the NHS page relating to the vaccine:

Call 111 immediately if you get any of these symptoms starting from around 4 days to 4 weeks after being vaccinated:

• a severe headache that is not relieved with painkillers or is getting worse
  • a headache that feels worse when you lie down or bend over
  • a headache that's unusual for you and occurs with blurred vision, feeling or being sick, problems speaking, weakness, drowsiness or seizures (fits)
  • a rash that looks like small bruises or bleeding under the skin
  • shortness of breath, chest pain, leg swelling or persistent abdominal (tummy) pain
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

Think the range is currently 4-16 days after the first dose.

Makes sense to cut the under 30's given that at current case levels, the combined risk of catching covid, and then subsequently needing ICU treatment is not too dissimilar to the risk of the vaccine causing "Serious Harm" for that age group. Plus, we're likely to have more vaccines available by the time most under 30's qualify anyway. The biggest issue is communicating it in a way that won't scare people off taking the vaccine.

Edited by martyn
  • Like 3

I feel like this is an agreement between the EU and UK. The UK say "alright, it is a bit dangerous, we'll offer u30's a different vaccine". The EU agree to stop being such pricks about AZ shipping.

Edited by filbertway

7 minutes ago, filbertway said:

I feel like this is an agreement between the EU and UK. The UK say "alright, it is a bit dangerous, we'll offer u30's a different vaccine". The EU agree to stop being such pricks about AZ shipping.

That's quite a risky strategy if it comes to light that that's an underlying reason for this decision. 

1 hour ago, StanSP said:

How much real world data is there about the Moderna vaccine? Only started rolling out today in the UK. 

It will be a tragedy if people get put off by this announcement given how many lives it's already saved. 

21 minutes ago, filbertway said:

No, it's not. 

3 hours ago, StanSP said:

Hammers home just how tiny the risk of severe disease caused by Covid to young people is...

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, DennisNedry said:

Hammers home just how tiny the risk of severe disease caused by Covid to young people is...

At the moment it is .....

susepct the concern is that allowing the virus to spread unchecked amongst the younger generations as the vulnerable are considered protected, could allow a strain to mutate where the risk isn’t tiny.  putting a firm lid on covid stops the risks.  That’s one of the motivations for the govt to be overly cautious with their planning ....

And those of the younger age groups with some severe forms of long covid may also argue that they aren’t suffering ....

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

At the moment it is .....

susepct the concern is that allowing the virus to spread unchecked amongst the younger generations as the vulnerable are considered protected, could allow a strain to mutate where the risk isn’t tiny.  putting a firm lid on covid stops the risks.  That’s one of the motivations for the govt to be overly cautious with their planning ....

And those of the younger age groups with some severe forms of long covid may also argue that they aren’t suffering ....

Not sure I’m on board with the “but it might happen so let’s change the way we live” mentality.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, rachhere said:

Hmmm, I have been quite relaxed about the vaccines, but have to admit this makes me a bit nervous about having the AZ vaccine as I have a family history of blood clots.

It’s probably worth you contacting your GP about that to discuss options. They’ll likely take it into account with vaccine brand, or at least offer advice on the matter.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, rachhere said:

Hmmm, I have been quite relaxed about the vaccines, but have to admit this makes me a bit nervous about having the AZ vaccine as I have a family history of blood clots.

24 minutes ago, Dunge said:

It’s probably worth you contacting your GP about that to discuss options. They’ll likely take it into account with vaccine brand, or at least offer advice on the matter.

Just throwing it out there since I'm in the same boat, me and my brothers suffer from protein c deficiency, my GP has said don't touch it, we'll be allowed to have one of the other ones. :thumbup:

• Like 2