Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

Got a JNJ today on my 2nd day of eligibility. I asked the pharmacist who gave me my shot if I had to walk around the store for 15 minutes and he reminded me that "this is America and you can do whatever you want." I went to my car, sent a couple texts, and was on my way. 8 hours in and doing great. I'm on such high from finishing my taxes and getting my shot that this made today better than any other in a long long time. Obviously I hope this one shot option is available to you filthy redcoat loyalists soon.

However I would like to say **** the media. Maine (my state) is 5th best in the % metrics. And I had no idea until 2 days ago and I watch the news most nights. Whatever hiccups we've had must be trivial. Stupid gloom and doom merchants. Looking at the stats I think there must be some advantages to being a less populous albeit rural state. Cases in Maine are rising and my county is one of the worst in both cases and vaccination rate in the state.

On 03/04/2021 at 22:53, The Blur said:

Yeah but I think organisations would need to prove that they are keeping the data securely and an open book in the middle of busy restaurant is not very secure considering the contents of the data?

I suppose you could say the same for the likes of signing in sheets at schools or care homes albietty with less sensitive data.  

Yes exactly. Data protection isn't just about what data you keep but how you keep it.

17 hours ago, yorkie1999 said:

I thought that people coming to this country now have to quarantine in hotels and show a negative test on the 2nd and 8th day after arrival.  How would these variants get here if those rules are in place?, or are people arriving here just ignoring the rules.

No one from continental Europe has to go to a hotel for quarantine do they? Once we open up for summer holidays it will be impossible to keep varients under control. As to those coming in I bet we can't keep track of more than 10% and I bet we don't follow up more than 10% of people to check they are doing what they should.

Right now allowing mass summer holidays abroad looks a pretty bad idea to me and would be better to be stopped until more people are vaccinatted and booster autumn jabs developed to combat the existing varients.

Edited by reynard

6 minutes ago, reynard said:

No one from continental Europe has to go to a hotel for quarantine do they? Once we open up for summer holidays it will be impossible to keep varients under control. As to those coming in I bet we can't keep track of more than 10% and I bet we don't follow up more than 10% of people to check they are doing what they should.

Right now allowing mass summer holidays abroad looks a pretty bad idea to me and would be better to be stopped until more people are vaccinatted and booster autumn jabs developed to combat the existing varients.

That’s the rule at the moment 

People seem to want certainty in a fluid situation .......... I was about to say that ‘we’re not an island’ ........... but we absolutely are.  So we can either try and take advantage of that and live our lives as normally as possible (which should be feasible by summer) as a consequence or we can just carry on as if the thing doesn’t exist and accept that a vaccine resistant variant could arise somewhere abroad and come back with U.K. holidaymakers/foreign tourists/business people which puts us back to where we were in dec/Jan.  we are currently trying to sing at everyone’s wedding .......

let’s not forget that covid took hold here initially on the back of feb half term skiing holidays and again last September with holidaymakers bringing it back from sunnier climes where it was spreading way more than here.  The summer example a bit less obvious and valid than last feb. 

6 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2021/04/08/exclusive-pub-staff-will-check-drinkers-phones-prove-have-registered/?WT.mc_id=tmgliveapp_iosshare_Aw7bNjT6JSCw

Anyone notice the roadmap in this article?

'June 21st - As close to normal as possible'

No longer all restrictions removed then eh?

Conspiracy favourite Bill Gates saying back to normal by the end of 2022. 

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-billgates-idUSKBN2BH0SX

11 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

3124 COVID patients in hospital as of 6th April, I think there's about 1250 hospitals in the UK, so under 3 patients per hospital at the minute, that was 39,249 on 18th January, about 31 patients per hospital. When the kids went back on 8th March, there were 9477 patients in hospitals, about 7.5 patients per hospital.

440 patients in ICU beds as of 7th April, that was 4077 on 24th January and 1356 on 8th March.

Genuinely is unbelievable how quickly the numbers have dropped.

Just bear in mind its very lopsided from area to area, currently about 30-40 patients in Leicester hospitals.

Also some national stats are questionable, even enough to the point I have done a FOI request to get some clarification.

As an example the national stats claim a average positive test rate of under 1%, yet cornwall the second lowest area in the country is above that, and the national stats claim it only peaked at just over 2% in January, again with stats released by councils making a complete mockery of it.

Currently Leicester positivity rate is 4%, which is low for the city historically over the last year, but compared to the gov claimed national average of just 0.3%, suggesting we have a rate of over 10x the national average.

However this page shows national average as 1.7%.

https://ourworldindata.org/grapher/uk-covid-positivity?country=Hackney+and+City+of+London~Birmingham~England~Leicester~Liverpool~Manchester~Sunderland~Coventry

Most cities above it but I dialed in a fair few random cities and we are top on PCR rate, Manchester is closest at 3.5%.  Of course Manchester is a much bigger city, so the fact they out performing us is a highlight of the behaviourial problems we have here, but not necessarily something to be blamed on the residents as we are one of the highest poverty ridden cities in the country and as a result people will be much less likely to self isolate instead of going to work.

The lowest Leicester have ever managed since wide spread testing is 1.7% positivity rate. Last week of august.

• Thanks 1

On 07/04/2021 at 17:01, Zear0 said:

This is from the NHS page relating to the vaccine:

Call 111 immediately if you get any of these symptoms starting from around 4 days to 4 weeks after being vaccinated:

• a severe headache that is not relieved with painkillers or is getting worse
  • a headache that feels worse when you lie down or bend over
  • a headache that's unusual for you and occurs with blurred vision, feeling or being sick, problems speaking, weakness, drowsiness or seizures (fits)
  • a rash that looks like small bruises or bleeding under the skin
  • shortness of breath, chest pain, leg swelling or persistent abdominal (tummy) pain

In all honesty if I had slurred speed and/or blurred vision I would be going straight for 999 assuming I am still capable at that point of even making a call, sometimes the NHS advice seems shockingly bad.  Point 3 is basically stroke symptoms.

Edited by Chrysalis

8 hours ago, NewEnglandFox said:

Got a JNJ today on my 2nd day of eligibility. I asked the pharmacist who gave me my shot if I had to walk around the store for 15 minutes and he reminded me that "this is America and you can do whatever you want." I went to my car, sent a couple texts, and was on my way. 8 hours in and doing great. I'm on such high from finishing my taxes and getting my shot that this made today better than any other in a long long time. Obviously I hope this one shot option is available to you filthy redcoat loyalists soon.

However I would like to say **** the media. Maine (my state) is 5th best in the % metrics. And I had no idea until 2 days ago and I watch the news most nights. Whatever hiccups we've had must be trivial. Stupid gloom and doom merchants. Looking at the stats I think there must be some advantages to being a less populous albeit rural state. Cases in Maine are rising and my county is one of the worst in both cases and vaccination rate in the state.

Good day for you! I slept well last night and feel infinitely better after the J&J. 

Movement on travel from the U.K. today is positive. Just need a reverse on the ban on the U.K. by US and my son can meet his family this Summer. Hopefully that’s announced this side soon.

Just seen that in Germany up to 2 April, there have been 42 potential cases of blood clots (from Astra Zeneca). The big stat is that all but 7 of them were in women aged between 20 and 63.

Stats over here didn't seem to show such a large tilt to females but there are obviously some genetics that come into play.