Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

47 minutes ago, Robo61 said:

So you'll be deleting your original post on this subject then

🤷‍♂️
Brexit has enabled us to fast track access to the vaccines and I completely agree about the frontline workers giving the vaccines being the real heroes?

3 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

🤷‍♂️
Brexit has enabled us to fast track access to the vaccines and I completely agree about the frontline workers giving the vaccines being the real heroes?

You could be part of the EU and still source your own vaccine supply. Hungary have done so - 27% of population vaccinated yet highest death rate in Europe 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

You could be part of the EU and still source your own vaccine supply. Hungary have done so - 27% of population vaccinated yet highest death rate in Europe 

Ah I see, my bad. Didn’t know that

What has been the problem with the vaccine roll out across most of Europe then? I thought it was bound up in bureacratic nonsense?

3 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

Hand what back? NI? So effectively relocating thousands of UK citizens to another country? 

Yes indeed Deb.  Those that want to relocate that is, which would probably be a lot less than you think.  I would build loads of new houses in Scotland (we are getting really good at house building now) ..  where there is lots of space and they would soon fit in with their fellow Celts.  So ...   the Irish problem would not exist and as Marmite has sad the border problem would no longer exist ! ...  (I’ve tried to zoom Boris but he didn’t take my call) ...  ok there would be a few more riots but soon that would settle down and then the only riots would be about other things and if they get really bored they could pull a few statues down.  The IRA would probably kill a few more people but then after a while realise they’ve got what they want and all go home.  Win win.   :thumbup:

I'm actually quite curious about what immigration will be like the other way in the coming years of Brits emigrating to Ireland.

Given Ireland has free movement still with Britain. I'd be interesting to see how many British with EU family or partners who are struggling to move abroad after Brexit end up moving to Ireland for 5 years to get an Irish and EU passport.

Edited by Sampson

18 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Ah I see, my bad. Didn’t know that

What has been the problem with the vaccine roll out across most of Europe then? I thought it was bound up in bureacratic nonsense?

Simply it’s the contract between the EU and AZ. As well, the vast majority of countries also waited for EMA approval but others such as Hungary went forward with their own assessment. I read earlier Hungary has approved 7 vaccines to date. EU Law in emergency allows countries to decide their own fate. 

We made a big bet on AZ and their vaccine back in April last year. Partly because the UK as a country acts more as a partner of Pharma such as AZ. The NHS, the universities and AZ (or even GSK) do research and development together for years. European countries are more customers. So we had ordered supplies before the trials were even concluded. Therefore a good head start on the rest of the world. By comparison, the EU didn’t have any agreement in place until August. We contributed £68 million to the research and development 

At one point, the British govt were considering backing an American developed vaccine in that manner, Merck. 

Edited by Cardiff_Fox

14 minutes ago, Countryfox said:

Yes indeed Deb.  Those that want to relocate that is, which would probably be a lot less than you think.  I would build loads of new houses in Scotland (we are getting really good at house building now) ..  where there is lots of space and they would soon fit in with their fellow Celts.  So ...   the Irish problem would not exist and as Marmite has sad the border problem would no longer exist ! ...  (I’ve tried to zoom Boris but he didn’t take my call) ...  ok there would be a few more riots but soon that would settle down and then the only riots would be about other things and if they get really bored they could pull a few statues down.  The IRA would probably kill a few more people but then after a while realise they’ve got what they want and all go home.  Win win.   :thumbup:

Was just watching some of the riots on the beeb evening news. Some of the those lobbing shit at the police and burning cars literally can’t be older than 10!

1 minute ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

Simply it’s the contract between the EU and AZ. As well, the vast majority of countries also waited for EMA approval but others such as Hungary went forward with their own assessment. I read earlier Hungary has approved 7 vaccines to date. EU Law in emergency allows countries to decide their own fate. 

We made a big bet on AZ and their vaccine back in April last year. Partly because the UK as a country acts more as a partner of Pharma such as AZ. The NHS, the universities and AZ (or even GSK) do research and development together for years. European countries are more customers. So we had ordered supplies before the trials were even concluded. Therefore a good head start on the rest of the world. By comparison, the EU didn’t have any agreement in place until August. We contributed £68 million to the research and development 

At one point, the British govt were considering backing an American developed vaccine in that manner, Merck. 

Cheers...

7 minutes ago, Sampson said:

I'm actually quite curious about what immigration will be like the other way in the coming years of Brits emigrating to Ireland.

Given Ireland has free movement still with Britain. I'd be interesting to see how many British with EU family or partners who are struggling to move abroad after Brexit end up moving to Ireland for 5 years to get an Irish and EU passport.

English Themed pubs....Not Mcalpine engineers, But Charnwood Forest Road engineers....!!!

1 hour ago, Stevosevic said:

Does anyone have the hospital admissions numbers/trend?

Surely this will be the measure for the government, as opposed to cases, going forward as cases inevitably go up.

3124 COVID patients in hospital as of 6th April, I think there's about 1250 hospitals in the UK, so under 3 patients per hospital at the minute, that was 39,249 on 18th January, about 31 patients per hospital. When the kids went back on 8th March, there were 9477 patients in hospitals, about 7.5 patients per hospital.

440 patients in ICU beds as of 7th April, that was 4077 on 24th January and 1356 on 8th March.

Genuinely is unbelievable how quickly the numbers have dropped.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DennisNedry said:

J&J? Which country do you live in? Hope J&J is approved in the UK ASAP. 

I’m in the US. They made 16+ eligible in my state so managed to get it yesterday. It’s single dose and I think it’s stronger than the others because it near enough wiped us out last night. Flu like symptoms: shivers, headache, raging hot temperatures. Didn’t help we have a 2 week old wanting to be fed every couple hours! 

11 minutes ago, KFS said:

I’m in the US. They made 16+ eligible in my state so managed to get it yesterday. It’s single dose and I think it’s stronger than the others because it near enough wiped us out last night. Flu like symptoms: shivers, headache, raging hot temperatures. Didn’t help we have a 2 week old wanting to be fed every couple hours! 

I'm sure J&J would've  sorted you out a pain killer if it became really bad. I hear they're top notch 

2 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I think one of the problems is the shear numbers involved and the comparisons being made.  The EU isn’t a country and has 450 million people living in it, the U.K. has 65 million people , so when they start talking about us vaccinating 50% and them only vaccinating 20%, they’ve still vaccinated far more people.

24 minutes ago, UpTheLeagueFox said:

Does anyone know what the 'second wave' death rates have been like across Europe compared to the UK and what they and us did right / wrong to lead to those numbers?

I think a lot of Europe is currently going through a third wave isn’t it?Eastern Europe seemed to get away with the April 2020 outbreak.Suffering now though.Maybe without the vaccine roll out we would be seeing another steady rise ourselves.

3 hours ago, st albans fox said:

I was told last weekend that we over committed on vaccines last summer because we were terrified that the EU would out manoeuvre us with their bigger buying power 

Worked out well (at the moment ) 

I'm not sure it was that, more that the UK didn't know which vaccine was going to succeed so they committed to buying all of them.  The idea being that price wasn't really relevant, just buy them all.  With AstraZeneca specifically, the UK funded the research both directly through government and indirectly through Oxford University, AND committed to buying a hundred million doses at price to be agreed later even if it didn't work.  So AstraZeneca could throw resources at it knowing they weren't going to lose out.

The EU was more cautious.  They didn't want to waste money, so they waited until vaccine development was a bit further on and they were less bullish about committing to buy.  This Dutch site they are rattling on about was slower to get going, because of lack of funding; when it did get going it had a £20m or so subsidy from the UK; snd when its early batches were not working out (causing the EU shortage) it was a UK team that had to go in and provide consultancy expertise. 

Whether the EU had this plan all along, to let someone else pay and then just confiscate the vaccine when it was ready - I wouldn't have thought so.