Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

3 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Hospital admissions and deaths absolutely rock bottom. Honestly are cases even relevant if they don't lead to pressure on the healthcare system? 

Totally. Even overall deaths are well below the 5 year national average. 

No excuses for not lifting restrictions in June. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Sol thewall Bamba said:

Hospital admissions and deaths absolutely rock bottom. Honestly are cases even relevant if they don't lead to pressure on the healthcare system? 

I can only assume power is hard to give up, even if it was innocently acquired. Govts have total control over people's lives and it must be addictive.

To think i have relatives who were terrified of Corbyn and, in their words,  'the state meddling in our lives' ....yet those same relatives wait for PM Johnson's say so as to when and where they can p1ss, cuddle and sleep

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, st albans fox said:

They’re still petrified of variants upsetting their plans 

Pushing vaccine take up is their only weapon without changing the roadmap (which they’re also petrified of doing ) 

And why are they petrified?  It boils down to the modelling and not wanting to release their perceived control.

27 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

And why are they petrified?  It boils down to the modelling and not wanting to release their perceived control.

Because this is the last chance saloon. We've had in out in out shake it all about lockdowns, the second they say "GO GO GO GO everything is open" then that's it. People won't accept another, or at least, enough people won't accept another.

And rightly ****ing so. Over a year of this crap is more than enough.

3 hours ago, Innovindil said:

Because this is the last chance saloon. We've had in out in out shake it all about lockdowns, the second they say "GO GO GO GO everything is open" then that's it. People won't accept another, or at least, enough people won't accept another.

And rightly ****ing so. Over a year of this crap is more than enough.

Yep. The reading of the public sentiment here is spot on, I think.

Sadly WRT the second paragraph, a virus doesn't get tired or bored or angry about its "freedoms" being curtailed, which gives it an advantage in this case against humans. So all of this now means it is a straight foot race against our superior smarts (through the vaccine) and its superior evolutionary determination.

Let's hope that we win - through the vaccine continuing to be effective and through enough people choosing to take it.

• Like 1

Had my second jab at Leicester racecourse yesterday. Only a sore arm so far (which I didn't get 1st time), no 5am headache (which I did get 1st time).

Longer wait this time - queuing outside for almost an hour, but in a good cause and the rain stayed away.

Was surprised that almost all those in the queue for the 2nd jab were in their 20s or 30s. Someone working there told my ex that it was being given to students, which is news to me if true but might make sense as they're one of the groups most likely to come into contact with a lot of other people. Anyway, keep safe everyone, whatever age you are and let's get life back on track. :thumbup:

2 minutes ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Indian variant cases “surging” 

70% of adults have now had their first jab.

The vaccine works against the Indian variant.

has everything to do with increased testing in certain areas finding these 'surges'

no increase in hospitalisations either

hilarious how often the goal posts move

roll on 21st June

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Alf Bentley said:

Had my second jab at Leicester racecourse yesterday. Only a sore arm so far (which I didn't get 1st time), no 5am headache (which I did get 1st time).

Longer wait this time - queuing outside for almost an hour, but in a good cause and the rain stayed away.

Was surprised that almost all those in the queue for the 2nd jab were in their 20s or 30s. Someone working there told my ex that it was being given to students, which is news to me if true but might make sense as they're one of the groups most likely to come into contact with a lot of other people. Anyway, keep safe everyone, whatever age you are and let's get life back on track. :thumbup:

I had to queue for 15 minutes outside, I wore shorts and t shirt as it was red hot when I left in the morning, it was hailstoning whilst I stood in the queue lol My arm feels like it weighs about 10 stone, it's proper dead, although it's only been 20 hours since my jab.

25 minutes ago, AllGoneTitsSchlupp said:

has everything to do with increased testing in certain areas finding these 'surges'

roll on 21st June

Amazing avatar pic :appl:

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, AllGoneTitsSchlupp said:

roll on 21st June

I'd have thought the most important piece of information that seems to be sadly missing is, have the people catching the indian variant  been vaccinated. Are questions not asked?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

I'd have thought the most important piece of information that seems to be sadly missing is, have the people catching the indian variant  been vaccinated. Are questions not asked?

Great point, it would surely confirm the context of the danger of the variant. 

Not sure whether there’s any confirmed data yet - I think they’re waiting on that before an announcement. But it looks like the vaccines are strong against the Indian variant. ie It’s comparatively infectious but not an escape variant.

In terms of goalpost moving, I think the main concern is to avoid a situation like in India, where people were losing their lives because they couldn’t get even basic healthcare due to there being so many people needing it. It may be a relatively small proportion of younger and still unvaccinated people who get really ill from it, but if everyone gets it at once that’s still a low percentage of a really big number, resulting in a potential hospital overload. Essentially, the concern is for those who do get it dangerously to have the best chance of survival. So although I appreciate the frustration at apparent moving of goalposts, I don’t think they’re actually moving much at all. It’s more like the opposition have made a sub; they’ve brought on a pacy Indian lad and he provides a different threat. We’re ahead but need to make sure we stay that way.

The longer term question I can see being what to do about the vaccine refuseniks, and specifically what happens if and when the virus catches up with them. I can’t imagine them being refused hospital treatment on the lines of “you made your bed, now you lie in it”, but it is possible that a highly transmissible variant could land of load of them in a hospital queue. And that in turn affects availability of staff and resources for other things. It could end up being a difficult situation to manage with very different opinions on best approach. Hopefully an effective herd immunity will cover it, but that may not be guaranteed.

PS. Had my first jab yesterday. Pfizer because I’m under 40. Feels like someone’s whacked me in the arm but no other particular problems so far. In fact it’s so easy and painless that if didn’t have the ache then I wouldn’t have been convinced it was even a real needle. I’ve stepped on sharper Legos.

If the deaths and hospitalisations aren't consistently trending upwards in 3 weeks I think we'll be good to go. If there's a hint of an increase, I can see the relaxations being delayed a week or two to see if it's a blip or if there is something wrong.

Based on what I'm seeing so far though, I feel confident that we'll continue to see the current low levels for the next 3 weeks.

7 minutes ago, walkerleeds said:

All this talk of 'variants' is absolute nonsense by the way. Unlike Influenza, Coronavirus literally cannot mutate. Don't believe all the nonsense you're reading. This government love the power and will do everything they can to keep it.

Yeah that sounds legit

• Haha 4