Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

37 minutes ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

‘MWe know that although 88 per cent of adults have had a single dose of a Covid-19 vaccine, this provides partial protection and we need time to deliver more second doses, particularly to the over-40s.”

That quote is the most frustrating - they were quoted before as saying more second doses needed for the over 50s. Now it’s over 40. 

I read today that no one double vaccinated over 50 has died from Delta strain of COVID

It's a never ending moving of the goalposts, we all know it. Just need to crack on now, and I think we will next month, hopefully!

38 minutes ago, foxile5 said:

I dunt think they would.

Seen some very dubious quotes from some of the members involved with them over the past year tbh. They want nil risk (or as close to it as possible), which in reality isn't possible nor viable in the long term, and I think most of us realise this.

Either way, just booked to go out at the weekend, same again next weekend as well. Unbelievable the difference it makes having a social life again.

Edited by Leicester_Loyal

9 hours ago, urban.spaceman said:

Don’t suppose anyone’s posting transfer rumours off Twitter in here?

Matt Hancock is available on a free i hear. Been released by Govt Disunited. Brings top level experience, but a slightly dodgy health record and could be a disruptive influence in the dressing room if you know what I mean. Let’s just say wandering hands. All in all probably best steer clear.

24 minutes ago, harpendenfox said:

Matt Hancock is available on a free i hear. Been released by Govt Disunited. Brings top level experience, but a slightly dodgy health record and could be a disruptive influence in the dressing room if you know what I mean. Let’s just say wandering hands. All in all probably best steer clear.

Could be a good fit for Spurs?

15 hours ago, Legend_in_blue said:

lol  Sage have urged govt to adhere to data?

All they've adhered to is Sage's massively over-exaggerated series of projections.  

Nothing to do with data.

Was there last set of predictions (based on already out of date data) correct, or out by like two days if you want to be fussy.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Cardiff_Fox said:

I read today that no one double vaccinated over 50 has died from Delta strain of COVID

UNDER 50, it was under 50. Not many under 50's were dying of it anyway. A fair few double vaccinated over 50's have, but that's to be expected as it's not perfect. 

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, rachhere said:

I can't bring myself to watch that video. Just awful, 

11 minutes ago, Nalis said:

What goes through these people's heads when they do this? No value to be had for a lot of distress. Very odd and very sad.

It's so weird to go to the guy that hasn't done anything wrong instead of the government ministers responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths... 

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, Babylon said:

UNDER 50, it was under 50. Not many under 50's were dying of it anyway. A fair few double vaccinated over 50's have, but that's to be expected as it's not perfect. 

They need to come up with a detailed, analysed list of who is dying.  Categories for example:

1.  People who were dying anyway and coronavirus made no difference.

2.  People who were old and/or sick and their next illness would have killed them anyway.

3.  Older people who have no reason not to take the vaccine but chose not to.

4.  Older people who have been vaccinated.

5.  Younger people who have been vaccinated.

6.  Younger people who have not been vaccinated yet.

There may well be more relevant categories.

If the deaths are largely in groups 1, 2 and 3, then there is no reason to continue restrictions.  It's groups 4, 5 and 6 that would be a concern.  (And before people start objecting to my "writing off" group 2, bear in mind that about 100,000 people per year die with flu and/or pneumonia on their death certificates, not because flu and pneumonia are particularly lethal, but because their bodies are so worn out that what would be a mild dose in other people, is more than their hearts can stand.  Nothing can practiaclly be done about that.)

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, StanSP said:

It's so weird to go to the guy that hasn't done anything wrong instead of the government ministers responsible for hundreds of thousands of deaths... 

It's weird and wrong to go after anybody like that.  Even a politician who has made wrong decisions doesn't deserve that.

(Quite apart from the fact that there are no politicians, in this country at least, who are responsible for hundreds of thousand of deaths.  There haven't been hundreds of thousands of deaths, for one thing; and for another, not all of them can be blamed on politicians.)

4 minutes ago, dsr-burnley said:

It's weird and wrong to go after anybody like that.  Even a politician who has made wrong decisions doesn't deserve that.

(Quite apart from the fact that there are no politicians, in this country at least, who are responsible for hundreds of thousand of deaths.  There haven't been hundreds of thousands of deaths, for one thing; and for another, not all of them can be blamed on politicians.)

How many covid deaths have there been? 

Granted, partially responsible then... 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

How many covid deaths have there been? 

Granted, partially responsible then... 

128k or 152k, depending on whether you go off positive tests or death certificates.  And a large number of those deaths were because there is a lethal virus going round the world.

Your best bet is to compare the UK with similar sized countries (Germany, France, Spain, Italy) and see how many deaths they had, and treat the difference as being the fault of politicians.  Obviously their politicians made mistakes as well, but I think it's fairest to compare our politicians with the best of politicians rather than with the prefect (and non-existent) human being.

There is plenty of room for real criticism without being hyperbolic about it - and (my real point) it should be done properly and not by yobbish behaviour as per the video.

36 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Government ministers surround themselves with security and bodyguards, prof. Whitty obviously doesn't, some people are angry and are looking for a scapegoat. All those giving it the big un in solidarity with the anti-lockdown protest marchers etc., need to realise that protests give license to anarchy which gives yobs and bullies the idea that the rest of the population is behind them, they're doing what they think other people are feeling. 

11 minutes ago, yorkie1999 said:

Government ministers surround themselves with security and bodyguards, prof. Whitty obviously doesn't, some people are angry and are looking for a scapegoat. All those giving it the big un in solidarity with the anti-lockdown protest marchers etc., need to realise that protests give license to anarchy which gives yobs and bullies the idea that the rest of the population is behind them, they're doing what they think other people are feeling. 

Bullshit, having just saw the video, it's a couple of pissed up yobs with an iphone and probably 60 million views on some social media platform.

18 minutes ago, Adrian said:

how has Andrew Marr got covid?????? hes double vaccinated????

im not anti vaxer by the way

You get covid by breathing it in.  Vaccines don't stop that,

Vaccines make the body ready to deal with it.  Normally, vaccinated people's immune system gets rid of it without you even know you've had it.  In Andrew Marr's case, possibly because of his serious illness a few years back or possibly just luck of the draw, the virus took a better hold and made him ill.

Edited by dsr-burnley

24 minutes ago, Adrian said:

how has Andrew Marr got covid?????? hes double vaccinated????

im not anti vaxer by the way

Vaccines are only 95% effective. So someone vaccinated has a 95% better chance of not getting Symptoms than someone not vaccinated. You can still get it and you can still get symptoms.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, FoxesDeb said:

My children came out to visit me in Spain for half term week, so we bought the day 2 and 8 tests for them at a cost of £168. They did them, returned them, and finally got the results a few days ago (they flew back to the UK on 6th June) 

No home visits either, although I think these are much more common now, I wonder if they didn't bother with them because they're under 18? But the tests seem to have been just a box ticking money making exercise, they couldn't fly home unless I'd paid for them, but they were no use whatsoever. 

Sounds about right.

What a pointless excercise, if they had it and were asymptomatic how many people could they have infected before they got the results and found out? And were at that point a lot less likely to be contagious anyway.