Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

30 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

I don't think they really can tbh. People just delete the app and carry on as normal. I've heard occasionally and rarely people come to your house to check, but I think that's more for quarantining after coming back from being abroad.

I came back from abroad last year, quarantined for 2 weeks like the law abiding citizen I am and neither received a visit, a phone call or even a text in the whole 2 weeks, or 10 days I can’t remember what it was now.

7 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Piers is a twat, but has a good point here. MPs need to stop making stupid promises like this. Have they learnt nothing from the last year or so?

Doesn't matter, people want to hear it and javid knows that if he's wrong the public will find a way to blame Starmer or even Corbyn so why worry?

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Piers is a twat, but has a good point here. MPs need to stop making stupid promises like this. Have they learnt nothing from the last year or so?

The problem is that people want to hear certainty, as Carl said. And a lot of people IMO know, but are seemingly in denial about, the lack of certainty that naturally comes from an entity that cannot be negotiated, bargained or otherwise intimidated and cares nothing for human certainty and continuity of normality.

I think for every extension of restrictions or for every future lockdown we are all allowed a gift each. A years free food at a chip shop of your choice etc. For me I'd like 100 chicken nuggets every day and if they're late or cold I'll go fcukin mad.

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

No relaxing of restrictions on July 5th, I didn’t see that coming!

Are you saying it was an obvious outcome of the rising cases or are you suggesting the population control conspiracy?

7 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

Are you saying it was an obvious outcome of the rising cases or are you suggesting the population control conspiracy?

Bit of both :whistle:

Nah I just remembered someone posting that Boris might relax them on July 5th and I remember saying don't get your hopes up because it's not happening. Even if cases dropped massively they'd still not relax it until July 19th, that's the opening date that industries are now planning for.

8 minutes ago, Carl the Llama said:

If it's the former then I struggle to see how they'll lift 2 weeks later if its solely based on the number of cases. When is the tipping point if its based on the number of adults vaccinated or what point will they be satisfied that the cases have slowed to lift? And if its based on that then what will stop them putting the restrictions back in place as soon as the case rise again (inevitable).

5 minutes ago, RonnieTodger said:

A member of the Council came into my workplace (a large open plan office with only 5 of us in) to make sure that everybody had masks and were social distancing. 

Absolutely pathetic lol 

Given masks aren't a legal requirement, why are they doing this? All 5 of you could exercise your right to exempt yourself from wearing them and not to have gained medical sign off.

10 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Given masks aren't a legal requirement, why are they doing this? All 5 of you could exercise your right to exempt yourself from wearing them and not to have gained medical sign off.

Got to be box-ticking. Pick an easy open-plan office where they know there'll be no issues, as opposed to be a busy warehouse or shop floor.

For all I know, they could be doing but I'd be very surprised.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

I came back from abroad last year, quarantined for 2 weeks like the law abiding citizen I am and neither received a visit, a phone call or even a text in the whole 2 weeks, or 10 days I can’t remember what it was now.

My children came out to visit me in Spain for half term week, so we bought the day 2 and 8 tests for them at a cost of £168. They did them, returned them, and finally got the results a few days ago (they flew back to the UK on 6th June) 

No home visits either, although I think these are much more common now, I wonder if they didn't bother with them because they're under 18? But the tests seem to have been just a box ticking money making exercise, they couldn't fly home unless I'd paid for them, but they were no use whatsoever. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, st albans fox said:

a) I believe the clubs in Ibiza will be outdoors 

b) the people attending will have been tested prior to leaving U.K. so will be most unlikely to be carrying the virus 

hence it’s v different 

Very different from the ones on the mainland on Saturday night then, indoors and full of young presumably untested and unvaccinated Spaniards. 

6 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

SAGE doubts about a 19th July ending to restrictions.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/covid-19-july-restrictions-delta-b1873630.html

Well if all these sporting events with crowds do go without any issues then people will expect a general relaxation of restrictions.

Honestly they can fvck off. Enough is enough, absolutely sick of a sub-par life not doing the things I love.

Edited by Nuneatonfox in Manchester
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Super_horns said:

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/science/covid-19-july-restrictions-delta-b1873630.html

Well if all these sporting events with crowds do go without any issues then people will expect a general relaxation of restrictions.

lol  Sage have urged govt to adhere to data?

All they've adhered to is Sage's massively over-exaggerated series of projections.  

Nothing to do with data.

Sage have a different responsibility to govt

its a bit like when you buy a house - your solicitor will generally advise you not to proceed because of some legal possibility (which you then have to make a judgement upon)

the problem we have is that the govt have form for making wrong calls over the past year ….

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

Sage have a different responsibility to govt

its a bit like when you buy a house - your solicitor will generally advise you not to proceed because of some legal possibility (which you then have to make a judgement upon)

the problem we have is that the govt have form for making wrong calls over the past year ….

Completely agree. They’re scientists at the end of the day, not policy makers. They work on numbers, infection rates, r rates etc…facts and figures. You can’t blame them for the pandemic or the handling of it. They just produce the stuff. It’s the gov that decides on it. 

Sage would ideally like the infection rate to be below 0. At the moment it’s not  which is why they’re saying. Opening up may cause more of an issue. More infections, more chance of hospital treatment needed vaccines or not.

Edited by fox_favourite

4 hours ago, Super_horns said:

‘MWe know that although 88 per cent of adults have had a single dose of a Covid-19 vaccine, this provides partial protection and we need time to deliver more second doses, particularly to the over-40s.”

That quote is the most frustrating - they were quoted before as saying more second doses needed for the over 50s. Now it’s over 40. 

I read today that no one double vaccinated over 50 has died from Delta strain of COVID