Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

16 minutes ago, String fellow said:

Given that the two main courts at Wimbledon have retractable roofs, are they classed as indoors or outdoors? 

When the roof is put on, they all have to hold their breath 50% longer than usual to account for the increased risk.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

Then I found this which is interesting.

Britain should stop publishing daily figures on Covid-19 case rates because the virus is now a “long way from being an important cause” of death, a vaccine advisor has said. 

Prof Robert Dingwall, a member of the UK Government’s Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation, urged people to stop panicking about the current rising infection levels, which may only be reflecting a “last wave of mild infections” among unvaccinated youths. 

“It is well past time to panic about infection rates and to publish them obsessively. Even hospitalisation rates are increasingly misleading as better therapy reduces length of stay. Covid is now a long way from being an important cause of mortality,” the Nervtag scientist tweeted. 

He joins a growing number of MPs and leading scientists, including Prof Tim Spector, of King’s College London, warning the daily slew of Covid statistics are terrifying people and they lack any context, such as figures on flu, heart disease and cancer. 

Conservative MPs are pressing Downing Street to follow officials in Quebec, Canada, and Singapore by moving to weekly updates or similar, ahead of the July 19 unlocking.

Prof Dingwall added: “A reminder: medicine cannot deliver immortality and it is profoundly damaging to society to imply that it can, if only we try hard enough

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Take a test, if it's negative, crack on with your life.

Half tempted to keep them off school next week. We're going away a week on Friday and there seems to be a massive growth in cases at school/football.

Don't want to be told to isolate just as we're about to go on holiday!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Every headline is reporting that it’s the worst day for reported cases since January, which is true of course, delve a little deeper past the scary headlines and you find out there were only 14 deaths, very sad for the 14 families but that’s not worth a headline is it.

Press determined to sensationalise every negative no matter how minor or inconsequential it might be. As I've said before, to some dismay of others, it's the less informed that will read these red top rags and the DM and believe it's all true then base their lives on what they've just read about CVd.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mark 'expert' Lawrenson said:

Then I found this which is interesting.

Britain should stop publishing daily figures on Covid-19 case rates because the virus is now a “long way from being an important cause” of death, a vaccine advisor has said. 

Prof Robert Dingwall, a member of the UK Government’s Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation, urged people to stop panicking about the current rising infection levels, which may only be reflecting a “last wave of mild infections” among unvaccinated youths. 

“It is well past time to panic about infection rates and to publish them obsessively. Even hospitalisation rates are increasingly misleading as better therapy reduces length of stay. Covid is now a long way from being an important cause of mortality,” the Nervtag scientist tweeted. 

He joins a growing number of MPs and leading scientists, including Prof Tim Spector, of King’s College London, warning the daily slew of Covid statistics are terrifying people and they lack any context, such as figures on flu, heart disease and cancer. 

Conservative MPs are pressing Downing Street to follow officials in Quebec, Canada, and Singapore by moving to weekly updates or similar, ahead of the July 19 unlocking.

Prof Dingwall added: “A reminder: medicine cannot deliver immortality and it is profoundly damaging to society to imply that it can, if only we try hard enough

At last, a credible voice of reason. Let's hope this makes the headlines although I doubt it as it's not very sellable "sensationalism", is it?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rain King said:

Half tempted to keep them off school next week. We're going away a week on Friday and there seems to be a massive growth in cases at school/football.

Don't want to be told to isolate just as we're about to go on holiday!

Same. Mine are out as of Friday. The old 'truant officer' or supposed fines (can you imagine the brass neck of it?) can go get fcked

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

Same. Mine are out as of Friday. The old 'truant officer' or supposed fines (can you imagine the brass neck of it?) can go get fcked

My daughter had to isolate for 10 days straight after the half term holiday as she'd been out here, and I didn't hear a peep out of her school. There will be so many people doing the same thing, in both directions, like you and me. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Parafox said:

At last, a credible voice of reason. Let's hope this makes the headlines although I doubt it as it's not very sellable "sensationalism", is it?

I want to believe Professor Dingwall. The problem is who can we trust about anything. Every thing is so politicized and shrouded in propaganda for any particular point of view, no matter how much sense it makes or not. Its at the point where we have to rely on our own judgement and set up our lives according to our gut instincts. Feels like subjectivity in the extreme and I'm not just talking about Covid. Don't think subjectivity is a bad thing just tired of the lies people use to further their agenda/point of view. I honestly don't trust science anymore. Everything just another profit opportunity here in the US including Health Care.

Please don't take this as a personal attack. Just trying to think my way through the why's of life in this moment. Something I think all of us are trying to work out.

24 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Read earlier today that the much touted "mask which can detect covid" has finally been invented.

At what point does this become a money making venture rather than one concerning public health?

Is this a form of self testing or does it advise you to move away?

20 minutes ago, StanSP said:

Gutted. 

Despicable thugs lol 

Annoying pr*cks absolutely.

It's not worth getting sacked for. Once again, the people of social media, entirely without an ounce of self-awareness, are revelling in somebody losing their job lol

• Like 2
  • Sad 1