Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
filbertway

Coronavirus Thread

1 hour ago, UniFox21 said:

Whilst we all obviously need to remain cautious, here are some positive numbers to show we appear to have significantly reduced the link between cases and hospitalisations. 

Email them to Ferguson so that he can calculate his % errors on his projections.

Some graphs and some fairly obvious conclusions

One of very few positives of this whole affair has been the resurgence of the graphs.

Sure we only have 2 axis to work with and about 58 things we want to examine for correlation/comparison, but let's still stick with a medium that allows for 2 only.

Got to love a good graph.

9 minutes ago, The People's Hero said:

One of very few positives of this whole affair has been the resurgence of the graphs.

Sure we only have 2 axis to work with and about 58 things we want to examine for correlation/comparison, but let's still stick with a medium that allows for 2 only.

Got to love a good graph.

It's funny you should say that.

E5GbefmXIAIxaLQ?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ozleicester said:

the most incompetent and corrupt government we have ever seen, legitimately could not organise a vaccine in a hospital.

Edit, but the economy looks GREAT! :mad:

What is amazing is how many people think it is a huge success.

Scare the shit out of everyone to deliver Zero Covid Strategy! TICK!

Bet on a vaccine to get you out of it! TICK!

Get everyone vaccinated!! Errr everyone is scared.

Open up!  SHIT!

2 hours ago, UniFox21 said:

Whilst we all obviously need to remain cautious, here are some positive numbers to show we appear to have significantly reduced the link between cases and hospitalisations. 

People still advocating extended restrictions should just admit at this point that they're anti vaxxers.

40 minutes ago, Jon the Hat said:

What is amazing is how many people think it is a huge success.

Scare the shit out of everyone to deliver Zero Covid Strategy! TICK!

Bet on a vaccine to get you out of it! TICK!

Get everyone vaccinated!! Errr everyone is scared.

Open up!  SHIT!

I’m not sure I really understand your post, but you appear to be saying that the zero Covid strategy is somehow the reason we’ve had a poor vaccine rollout, and I don’t think that’s right, or at least not in the way you appear to suppose.

The Zero Covid policy here has been hugely successful. By eliminating the virus we’ve been able to go about our business pretty much untroubled by restrictions to the great benefit of the economy. Most people in Australia have spent very few days in lockdown, the exception being Victoria precisely because authorities were slow to react and allowed the virus to spread widely before taking stronger measures. It was this experience in my opinion which showed the advantages of acting early to save both people’s health and livelihoods.

Nevertheless, it is true to say that this lack of Covid has given rise to complacency. Firstly from a lazy and incompetent Federal government, with its snail’s pace vaccine rollout.  Secondly among some of the population who see little need to get vaccinated, or who (wrongly IMO) see the AZ vaccine as a bigger threat than Covid. Pfizer is in short supply here. It is probably no coincidence that demand for vaccine has shot up during recent minor Covid outbreaks.

I am not for a moment suggesting that the same strategy would work in the UK. But it was completely the right policy for Australia, and I think most (obviously not all) Australians feel the same way. Once everyone has at least had the chance to be fully vaccinated, I would hope that we will get fully back to normal, with open borders, etc.

• Like 1

Hate when "big" names like this take a picture and twist it to drive a narrative.

They're sat in their seat, meaning they don't need to wear a mask. If they move around they need to wear one. 

Staff walk around the court between spectators and players, so wear a mask. 

But don't let this common sense get in the way of her bullshit 

20 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Hate when "big" names like this take a picture and twist it to drive a narrative.

They're sat in their seat, meaning they don't need to wear a mask. If they move around they need to wear one. 

Staff walk around the court between spectators and players, so wear a mask. 

But don't let this common sense get in the way of her bullshit 

Why would you need to wear a mask while walking around outside?

1 minute ago, Otis said:

They're walking from spectators, through officials, by TV cameras and players. Through various different "bubbles" and to reduce any potential transmission risk for any group. 

1 minute ago, UniFox21 said:

They're walking from spectators, through officials, by TV cameras and players. Through various different "bubbles" and to reduce any potential transmission risk for any group. 

Yeah so? And pretty much all of these ppeople have had the opportunity to be vaccinated and it'soutside where transmission is vertically zero. 

3 minutes ago, Otis said:

Yeah so? And pretty much all of these ppeople have had the opportunity to be vaccinated and it'soutside where transmission is vertically zero. 

Yes, but it's Wimbledon, where any positive cases would impact and effect the tournament. So they're taking as many precautions as feasible. And if that means the ball boys/girls wear a mask, is that such an issue? 

16 minutes ago, UniFox21 said:

Yes, but it's Wimbledon, where any positive cases would impact and effect the tournament. So they're taking as many precautions as feasible. And if that means the ball boys/girls wear a mask, is that such an issue? 

Still personally think it's overkill.

11 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

I read yesterday that the NHS app won't count as proof of the vaccine to enter Malta, and that they are asking for a letter from the GP instead. Opening up for travel certainly doesn't seem like it's going to be straightforward for Brits

• Like 1

You have to prove a negative test within 48 hrs of attending Wimbledon, so there's that precaution. I'd like to think that the likelihood of contracting COVID directly within the Wimbledon grounds is very low.

Add to that, it might just be the rules or personal preference of those working there to wear masks. 

It's also 'not one rule for them and us' in this case as Hartley-Brewer states. Every game and every court permits that you don't have to wear a mask while sitting down watching a game, but you do have to wear one when walking around the grounds. 

1 hour ago, Otis said:

Ever been to Beijing?

In an urban environment a properly fitted N95 mask will provide a degree of  protection from harmful particulate matter - I do a lot of cycling, particularly when in London. If you live in a city, it's a bit like questioning why someone would choose to apply suncream or cover up outdoors in a high UV forecast. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, FoxesDeb said:

I read yesterday that the NHS app won't count as proof of the vaccine to enter Malta, and that they are asking for a letter from the GP instead. Opening up for travel certainly doesn't seem like it's going to be straightforward for Brits

They're not asking for a letter from a GP, only a letter from the NHS.  The system is already set up for people who don't have smartphones.  All you do is follow this link to the NHS website and order your letter - it takes about a week.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/covid-pass/get-your-covid-pass-letter/

13 minutes ago, Line-X said:

Ever been to Beijing?

In an urban environment a properly fitted N95 mask will provide a degree of  protection from harmful particulate matter - I do a lot of cycling, particularly when in London. If you live in a city, it's a bit like questioning why someone would choose to apply suncream or cover up outdoors in a high UV forecast. 

Problem is that masks won't protect you from ultra fine particles, which are thought to be the most harmful as it's easier for these to pass into the bloodstream. Or NO2. Better than nothing though, and I will continue to wear one if walking by heavy traffic whether this pandemic is over or not. 

12 minutes ago, enmac said:

Problem is that masks won't protect you from ultra fine particles, which are thought to be the most harmful as it's easier for these to pass into the bloodstream. Or NO2. Better than nothing though, and I will continue to wear one if walking by heavy traffic whether this pandemic is over or not. 

That's why I said a degree of protection. Let's face it, this shit is everywhere, People crap themselves about asbestos (which no matter how much you pay to dispose of - isn't properly disposed of) but we are routinely exposed to air pollutants from vehicles, power generators, industrial and agricultural emissions, residential heating and cooking, the manufacture and distribution of chemicals and domestic/industrial/natural fires. ****, light a candle, cook a Sunday roast and you will be inhaling harmful particulate. 

While it is obvious that breathing in any particles in the air is going to aggravate your airways, the worry is the extremely small particles such as PM2.5 as they not only penetrate deep into our lungs but are also so minute that they can even pass into our bloodstream. Even at moderate levels, particulate matter can still be harmful to sensitive people. When air pollution levels are lower, the cardiovascular and respiratory health of a person will be much improved, both long and short term.

Wearing a DIY, mask with removable filters or surgical mask will also not protect you because these masks do not have effective filters for capturing micro-particle. A PM2. 5 mask refers to a mask that is able to filter out particulates that have a diameter of 2.5 micrometers (microns) or less. . Any urban environment is a hazard, the best thing you can do to protect your respiratory system from pollutants, viruses, and bacteria is to wear a respirator that provides: Particle Filtration Efficiency >98%, breathing resistance <2 mbar, Bacterial Filtration Efficiency >99% Viral Filtration Efficiency >99%.  

Apparently though, it has been "scientifically proved that face masks don't work". (Neither does lockdown). I read it here, God bless Foxes Talk.

Do I wear one? Not as much as I should, but as I said and in response to the post querying why you would wear one outdoors, cycling in London, it's a no-brainer. 

We’re certainly entering uncharted territory for this pandemic as we prepare to end restrictions with cases likely to be 30k+  by the time we get there 

A real experiment ongoing and countries across the world will base their future strategies based on what they see happening here ….

if we’re intent on treating the virus infecting a vaccinated population as if it were a flu outbreak then looks like we are on the right track - hopefully the result will be as expected ……

• Like 1