Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
foxfanazer

Brendan Rodgers

2 hours ago, That_Dude said:

Hard to speak about fine margin when you blow a 14 points lead and almost in relegation form for 6 months. I won't deny that injuries have played a significant role and losing Ricky P put a big dent in our attacking potence. Teams became also wary and just sit back watching us play ball.

Some people point at the Norwich game as start of the rot, however I think now that the two consecutive smashings at the hands of Man City and Liverpool, having a full squad and trying to beat them at their own game, shattered the team's (and probably the manager's) confidence and broke its back.

It was a turning point, it never has been the same since and Rodgers seems unable to adress this problem. It's a team that plays now with fear, most of the time.

He made us very good at disposing of the small fret, which was a lingering problem, but at the same unable to get a good result in any game with high stakes, which was one of our strong points. Some of his tactical decisions and his refusal to adapt his game against better teams cost us as many points as our players not taking their chances.

I hope he'll turn it around, starting with Manchester United.

I'm not saying he's been prefect but people calling for his head is ridiculous.

It a double edge sword, if we had been defensive against Liverpool and Man City and lost people would have called him out for not going for it.

We need to find a way of being more pragmatic without doubt. I think the squad lack a bit of win at all cost mentally, I think they will have learned a lot from this season!

• Like 1

On 20/07/2020 at 12:16, coolhandfox said:

As bad as our form has been since December Rodgers still has the best win ratio of anyone who's managed us in the PL, anyone who suggest he hasn't earned the right to have another season isn't thinking straight

Martin O'Neill 38.3
Peter Taylor 35.2
Micky Adams 16.3
Nigel Pearson 28.9
Claudio Ranieri 44.4
Claude Puel 34.3
Brendan Rodgers 50.0

We have a top 6 starting 11, give or take, but a squad that is paper thin.

We also have a team filled with international quality players which those other managers didnt have access to. It's not like Rodgers has waved a magic wand and turned little old leicester into a top 6 quality side, the players he has at his disposal are better than what those managers had so it's a very unfair comparison.

20 minutes ago, Dames said:

A lot of the same points being made in defence of Rodgers now are the exact same ones as was made in defence of Puel. The same applies for the criticisms as well and we all know what happened eventually. 

I’ve been flip flapping lately with the thought of BR being sacked. I don’t want him sacked but at the same time I cannot see how he is going to improve the situation. He had a 4 month break in the middle of the season to suss it out and arrest the slump and the team came back even worse. As people have mentioned if the downturns in form were spread across the season you could write it off as inexperience and inconsistency but the downturn has been consistent and consistently getting worse across a sustained period of time. Barely any manager or team recovers from these sorts of prolonged downturns and from the decisions BR has been making lately... it doesn’t look like he is going to recover either. The teams reaction in any sort of pressure situation proves this. 

I hope i’m wrong as always and we go out and smash the Transfer Window and come back next season and set the League and Europe alight. 

Four months during which, he had COVID and could'nt get the team together for around 10 weeks.

The restart has been difficult for a number of teams not just us.

Edited by coolhandfox
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

A) He played the only senior fit defenders we had and two kids with 11 PL apps between them, other then dropping Bennett for a Mendy or Hamza not sure there is a lot he could do!

B) Chelsea Frank has the luxury of bringing on Pedro (World Cup, Champion League winner), Azpilicueta (Double PL winner) Kovačić, Loftus-Cheek, Barkley (100 international caps between them), we bring on Gray, Albrighton and Hamza

C) Bournemouth, whilst not the most attacking move it was working fine until mistakes from Kasper for the 1st and 2nd goal and then the Red mist for Soyuncu. 

seriously …. you come on here with your sensible opinions ……..

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, honeybradger said:

We also have a team filled with international quality players which those other managers didnt have access to. It's not like Rodgers has waved a magic wand and turned little old leicester into a top 6 quality side, the players he has at his disposal are better than what those managers had so it's a very unfair comparison.

Well Puel had the same players except for Perez, Praet and Justin! And had access to Maguire for more games then Rodgers. 

Last two season 9th, 9th (Would have been lower without Rodgers end of season run), so by finishing 5th he has done that.........

• Like 1

1 hour ago, coolhandfox said:

I'm not saying he's been prefect but people calling for his head is ridiculous.

It a double edge sword, if we had been defensive against Liverpool and Man City and lost people would have called him out for not going for it.

We need to find a way of being more pragmatic without doubt. I think the squad lack a bit of win at all cost mentally, I think they will have learned a lot from this season!

We're in agreement on this point.

For the better or the worse, he has a very dogmatic vision of his football and thinks that it can be applied anywhere, regardless of the quality of the opponent. Hence the memorable spankings throughout his career, trying to play champagne football and going gung ho against the likes of Barcelona, PSG, Man City, whilst having lesser players. It just doesn't work, adapt to your opponent and play to your strengths. Our record against the big teams under him is appalling, we saw it once again against Tottenham.

Agreed. I'd add that repeated heavy defeats against strong opponents have long lasting, negative effects the morale of the players. Losing 3-2 or 2-1 in a hard fought game is something very different than getting hammered 4-0 while trying to play fancy football. It creates a psychological barrier that prevents them to go the next level. IMO it's the reason why his teams have a soft belly and lack mental resilience, easily brushing aside lesser opponents but completely crumbling at the slightest pressure.

Edited by That_Dude
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Well Puel had the same players except for Perez, Praet and Justin! And had access to Maguire for more games then Rodgers. 

Last two season 9th, 9th (Would have been lower without Rodgers end of season run), so by finishing 5th he has done that.........

Puel hardly had tielemans who was quite a big game changer but i was talking more about the other managers. Pearson, Shakespeare even ranieri had a lot less at their disposal and we're a completely different club than we were in the early 00s so it's not a fair comparison to our previous managers. Also Soyuncu this year is a clear uprgrade on maguire despite his temperament and he wasnt ready last year.

25 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Didn't have Tielemans and had to deal with much more dross than Rodgers had. Rodgers is basically using Puels team, bar Praet and Perez, and for all the hate he got, he was able to get good results against stronger opponents.

Edited by That_Dude

23 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Four months during which, he had COVID and could'nt get the team together for around 10 weeks.

The restart has been difficult for a number of teams not just us.

Four months for him to think of new ideas pretty much uninterrupted and the best he could come up with was starting 2 DMs and 1 winger against Brighton at home. In fact even before the recent injuries he was tinkering a lot.

4 Months off and he came back clueless, that is not the sign of an elite manager. He should be doing better for the amount the club pays him. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, That_Dude said:

Didn't have Tielemans and had to deal with much more dross than Rodgers had. Rodgers is basically using Puels team, bar Praet and Perez, and for all the hate he got, he was able to get good results against stronger opponents.

He was willing to sit in, let the opponent have more possession and try and counter, as we have both agreed Rodgers need to learn to be more pragmatic.

We could do we a mix between Rodgers and Puel!

• Like 3

6 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Only LCFC fans could want to have a manager with a 50% win ratio sacked, 2nd highest win ratio in our history for a manager with over 10 games, the only other Manager to match a 50% is Pearson in his first stint, but 46 of those games were in League 1.

Even in our title winning season Ranieri had a a win ration of 58%, before slipping down to 44% of his 81 game tenure. 

So lets just sack statistical the best PL manager we have had!

It's a tough one as statistically he has done very well and achieved all our targets for our club. However, stats can easily be misinterpreted. Look at match stats for example. Against Spurs we had 15+ corners but never had one effort on goal. We had far more shots at goal yet only really tested Loris with that nice volley from Perez. The rest of the game was extremely comfortable for Spurs. Even Mourinho said let them have the ball, get their defence higher up the pitch and we hit them on the break. That is coaching. We fell and played right into their hands. I agree our win ratio has been very good, but I would be more in support of Rodgers had performances shown something (like Sheffield United) rather than the dire negative performances v Brighton, Bournemouth, Everton, Watford which we see far too often. 

Celtic + Liverpool fans said he will start very well and then tail off. And this looks like what has happened here. Since Christmas he has won 5 in 21 and that is abysmal for our team. When does a blip in form become the norm? Worse record than 1 win in 4 with our players for me is awful.  I certainly feel we have every right to questions Rodgers decisions. I don't want him sacked right now, and will fully support him and our team but we have every right to question what is going on when our form is 14th in the league. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

We have always had internationals...Some became improved or started their  international career at Leicester,Like now....

Opinions on quality difference,is just that..!!

Comparisons,different period so non of value...

Plus BR, is probably the biggest Step up,we couldnt have afforded him or his like...So our progress and his  developement is in synch....

you cant just Set oneself up as righteousknowledgable  judge or critic like many do on here....

The fan base,IMO has gone Way OTT, in choosing its path & method of Setting their levels of fair & hard valuation & criticism...It has become too cynical and entitled from too many quarters...

We are not  yet that team or club,that some will have us. We are still in the aspiring stage...Fans,even STH should be more encouraging not demeaning

their own Club or players....

So many taking the Spoilt little brat root...Atmosphere

The positive atmosphere has to grow from within,ist Part of the support,knowing & realising their will be highs & troughs, accented with frustration and extactic

moments..We have somehow picked up a heavy "blame" & demeaming culture...I Don t like it !! 

So  I will Stay the happy-clapper, supporting a Club that goes and aspires to do the unbelievable & impossible...I like is being the consistent upstart that occasionally rides roughshot among the Pundits/Media royals.

Dips in form,performances decision making is Part and Partial of that rough journey....Moaning & whining passengers doesn't get it done..!!!

Gameday knee-jerk reactions critic are also part of the circus...gut it doesn't Need to be a rampage, or make inoculous immature continual negative

statements...Making up points in life belongs to your own developement,doing it as a 3rd party  in sport,

where your looking for indirect success & entertainment only qualms ones own frustrations...

I will Say this again,I wont judge a players career while playing behind our badge,we of all fans have seen more undesirables (according to this forum)

Not only make good,but make solid names for themselves in their chosen sport.....

I cant Think of any  fan who climbed that aspiring ladder,on cynical criticism & failing judgement...

So like the Song says... "When will they ever learn",

ps..I Love snowflakes, Not One can ever be the same...!!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, fuchsntf said:

We have always had internationals...Some became improved or started their  international career at Leicester,Like now....

Opinions on quality difference,is just that..!!

Comparisons,different period so non of value...

Plus BR, is probably the biggest Step up,we couldnt have afforded him or his like...So our progress and his  developement is in synch....

you cant just Set oneself up as righteousknowledgable  judge or critic like many do on here....

The fan base,IMO has gone Way OTT, in choosing its path & method of Setting their levels of fair & hard valuation & criticism...It has become too cynical and entitled from too many quarters...

We are not  yet that team or club,that some will have us. We are still in the aspiring stage...Fans,even STH should be more encouraging not demeaning

their own Club or players....

So many taking the Spoilt little brat root...Atmosphere

The positive atmosphere has to grow from within,ist Part of the support,knowing & realising their will be highs & troughs, accented with frustration and extactic

moments..We have somehow picked up a heavy "blame" & demeaming culture...I Don t like it !! 

So  I will Stay the happy-clapper, supporting a Club that goes and aspires to do the unbelievable & impossible...I like is being the consistent upstart that occasionally rides roughshot among the Pundits/Media royals.

Dips in form,performances decision making is Part and Partial of that rough journey....Moaning & whining passengers doesn't get it done..!!!

Gameday knee-jerk reactions critic are also part of the circus...gut it doesn't Need to be a rampage, or make inoculous immature continual negative

statements...Making up points in life belongs to your own developement,doing it as a 3rd party  in sport,

where your looking for indirect success & entertainment only qualms ones own frustrations...

I will Say this again,I wont judge a players career while playing behind our badge,we of all fans have seen more undesirables (according to this forum)

Not only make good,but make solid names for themselves in their chosen sport.....

I cant Think of any  fan who climbed that aspiring ladder,on cynical criticism & failing judgement...

So like the Song says... "When will they ever learn",

ps..I Love snowflakes, Not One can ever be the same...!!

I can tell you for a fact we've never had a team this stacked in individual quality, 15/16 was a much better team but that was also due to Ranieri's managing. Rodgers would struggle to do much with that group of players and he's showing once again that when the chips are down and the field is leveled out/slightly tilted against him that he cant cope as he cant tactically outthink other high level managers, as he's shown in the CL and with Liverpool without Suarez.

41 minutes ago, Unique FC said:

It's a tough one as statistically he has done very well and achieved all our targets for our club. However, stats can easily be misinterpreted. Look at match stats for example. Against Spurs we had 15+ corners but never had one effort on goal. We had far more shots at goal yet only really tested Loris with that nice volley from Perez. The rest of the game was extremely comfortable for Spurs. Even Mourinho said let them have the ball, get their defence higher up the pitch and we hit them on the break. That is coaching. We fell and played right into their hands. I agree our win ratio has been very good, but I would be more in support of Rodgers had performances shown something (like Sheffield United) rather than the dire negative performances v Brighton, Bournemouth, Everton, Watford which we see far too often. 

Celtic + Liverpool fans said he will start very well and then tail off. And this looks like what has happened here. Since Christmas he has won 5 in 21 and that is abysmal for our team. When does a blip in form become the norm? Worse record than 1 win in 4 with our players for me is awful.  I certainly feel we have every right to questions Rodgers decisions. I don't want him sacked right now, and will fully support him and our team but we have every right to question what is going on when our form is 14th in the league. 

I've no problem with anyone questioning a manager, but I'd prefer to judge on the season as a whole. 

I'm just against the sack him brigade, if things don't improve in the first half of next season, I'd understand it

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Unique FC said:

It's a tough one as statistically he has done very well and achieved all our targets for our club. However, stats can easily be misinterpreted. Look at match stats for example. Against Spurs we had 15+ corners but never had one effort on goal. We had far more shots at goal yet only really tested Loris with that nice volley from Perez.

We did like. Morgan free header which Vardy then back heeled and scrambled away

30 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

I've no problem with anyone questioning a manager, but I'd prefer to judge on the season as a whole. 

I'm just against the sack him brigade, if things don't improve in the first half of next season, I'd understand it

I understand your point. I am open to judging the season as a whole and overall finish of 5th is superb, and definitely reaching above what I could have expected start of season. 

However the position we were in at Christmas ( largely due to Brendan's coaching and managing which was some of the best football I have ever seen us play) I just can not understand the second half of the season though and feel Brendan has failed massively with this part. If the results were more spread out over the season I could understand, but to be brilliant first half and very poor second half doesn't sit well. You can not turn form on and off which is my worry and this prolonged period of poor results 14th in the league based on stats, doesn't bode well for next season. 

We had an incredible opportunity to get champions league football, a new world class training ground to rival any club in the world, and with our brilliant owners be in a position to look to strengthen and try and solidify amongst the top of the premier league. I feel we have (depending Ours, Chelsea and United results ) missed an incredible opportunity to further push our club forward. 

I don't want to become a Watford and sack managers every few months as a club surely can not progress that way. I will fully support Brendan and the team.

18 minutes ago, honeybradger said:

I can tell you for a fact we've never had a team this stacked in individual quality, 15/16 was a much better team but that was also due to Ranieri's managing. Rodgers would struggle to do much with that group of players and he's showing once again that when the chips are down and the field is leveled out/slightly tilted against him that he cant cope as he cant tactically outthink other high level managers, as he's shown in the CL and with Liverpool without Suarez.

Perspectives & opinions...So no facts...

putting other Posters under Pseudo pressure by putting "Fact" into a Sporting platform to prove an opinion, or self interest of pushing one-up-manship 

Your last sentence,I cant try to reply to so much twaddle. Your searching to Build narratives,that wont be proved One Way or the other....

Your Making an assumption & opinion  without knowing any Internal Workings of the situation,and relying on heresay from other unreliable sources...

What is it your trying to Prove,I Don t get it, where does it help us to understand our situation,our aspirations,and B.Rodgers Leicester mandate & remit...without

Sport support doesn't get that intensive,its Not in a supporters hands, Plus they are reliable on Bias Media reporting,that those same fans would class as untrustworthy.... 

Sorry fella... "Facts"  in opinions & Perspectives Don t Move me....I cant and wont understand negative narratives in sport,total Waste of energy..!!

in Sport If Somebody achieves and reaches their best, performs accordingly ..at any One period, during their participation, they cant be considered a failure.

B.Rodgers has just started his Leicester tenure, if in these following  seasons,he comes to a Wall or cant Take us further,in playing & performances,then the footballing Nature will Step in....Depends also on what Quality in depth of player/squad is made available.....further

Mistakes allows you to be prudent & develope further...

Every manager have their positives,Achievements and baggage.....So far I believe our owners have been fair ( they themselves had to learn)

EG:The Watford or Derby way,is Not what I want to See at KP.....but their descisions are theirs and we have no Inside view.

who'd have thought that Ranieri,would be that timely fit,  then his Aurora and his  Italian methods wouldnt then Take us further,though he dismanteled a Great

successful backroom staff...

3 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

A) He played the only senior fit defenders we had and two kids with 11 PL apps between them, other then dropping Bennett for a Mendy or Hamza not sure there is a lot he could do!

B) Chelsea Frank has the luxury of bringing on Pedro (World Cup, Champion League winner), Azpilicueta (Double PL winner) Kovačić, Loftus-Cheek, Barkley (100 international caps between them), we bring on Gray, Albrighton and Hamza

C) Bournemouth, whilst not the most attacking move it was working fine until mistakes from Kasper for the 1st and 2nd goal and then the Red mist for Soyuncu. 

The biggest disappointment for me was not protecting our goal difference against spurs, and also why did it take to half time to change the formation.

For me it was bizarre tactics from our manager, I get he was trying to protect young Thomas, but they should of been more narrow rather than playing as wingbacks

I would of gone with Choudhury and Ndidi in midfield and try to cancel spurs out.

I like Brendan but why can’t he see what we do, if it’s stubbornness of been proved wrong then he really needs to snap out of that or else he will never make it back to the top.

5 hours ago, coolhandfox said:

Not go all out attack with a high line and leave our only fit senior defenders exposed?

Edited by l444ry
  • Like 2

On 19/07/2020 at 18:19, Fox92 said:

I would have taken 5th and a League Cup semi final. We all would have.

We're in Europe next season. Up the Foxes.

50/50 on this one, at start of season I knew Arsenal and Man Utd were in disarray, spur bad start was the surprise which left a hole in the CL spots.  So maybe I would have took 5th, but I believed our target to be CL, despite top's recent statement.

Next season however my expectations are much lower, we have finished with bottom 1/4 form, Man Utd and Arsenal are much improved, so next season I would consider mid table a decent result with a moderate risk of relegation given the form we in now, the recovery of those teams, and the fact we in Europe.

On 19/07/2020 at 18:40, Cecchini1976 said:

Guaranteed our 2nd best finish in like 75 years, could still get champions league, small squad destroyed through injury and some fans want the manager sacked? Absolute joke 

I have decided to back him for taking us into next season. but you are sugar coating what has happened, its very hard to ignore a 20+ game run of terrible form which includes some glaring managerial decisions.  He needs to get a good start next season, as our history of sacking in autumn is there to see.

On 19/07/2020 at 18:42, Dirkster the Fox said:

I say a lot of you need to get a grip of yourselves wanting our Manager sacked.

• We have 5 1st team players out, 6 if you count Fuchs. 4 of them back 4 players.  To a club like Leicester, that's a big blow.

• We have a Right Back who signed from Luton Town last summer playing only his first (under 10) games in the Premiership.

• We have a Left Back playing in his second ever 1st team professional appearance

• We have to play a (now proven liability) in Bennett in the defense. Morgan is a legend, but past his best as well, at center halves.

We've ended up with these stats (should have scored 3 before they got their 2nd today), so a bit of perspective / reality needed and,

We could still finish 4th!!

image.png.f0c160a58d25f269d211f8584c1e21e9.png

The only stat that counts is the score, check our possession stats in title season.

Whats especially bad is how bad our goals conceded vs opponent shots on target is, our opponents usually only need 1-2 shots per goal whilst we need 5-10.  This has mainly come from how bad we have got in front of goal now, the spurs game and bournemouth game we would have scored at least 2-3 goals by half time, which would have mentally weakened the opponent and probably got us a win, thats where its all gone downhill.

Also the back 4 stuff is more sugar coating, a lot of people are pretending we have only been bad for the last few games or something, like they have had memory loss or something.

One thing that comes into my head, is we dont do professional fouls, when opposition counters, better to concede a free kick halfway down the pitch than a goal or corner.

Edited by Chrysalis
  • Like 1